Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brembo CMM-R ceramic discs - anyone ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, I’m no expert in cars or breaks - so excuse if I ask dump questions or suggest a foolish thing.
Second I'm not nativly speeking english, so also excuse my language or spelling.

It all started with looking into lighter wheels - but it seems only minor weight savings are possible.

Then I stumbled over Brembos CCM break discs, which could save aprox 10 lbs. in each corner - 10 lbs saving should be able to do magic.

Since the breaks are not often used on a model S (we use regen most of the time), I guess some smaller or less efficient breaks could do the job.
however CCM should give better breaking than cast iron discs so not an isue.

As far as I know Tesla OEM discs comes from Brembo. Brembo does make ceramic discs for other cars like Porsche. So why not Tesla.
I wonder if anyone has looked into if brembo does offer a ceramic break disc kit for Tesla Model S ?

Tesla OEM discs are front: 355 mm x 32 mm; rear: 365 mm x 28 mm

Brembo have a ceramic disc in size 360x32 mm (weight 3.2 kg) this is only 5 mm more than Tesla OEM discs or 2,5 mm in radius..
Some says low unsprung weight is most important on the front wheels.
Could Model S front discs be swapped out with the Brembo CCM discs of almost same size (of course brake pads would also need to be changed to fit ceramic discs) - is this posible?

what do you think

Last edited:
First of all, I’m no expert in cars or breaks - so excuse if I ask dump questions or suggest a foolish thing.
Second I'm not nativly speeking english, so also excuse my language or spelling.

It all started with looking into lighter wheels - but it seems only minor weight savings are possible.

Then I stumbled over Brembos CCM break discs, which could save aprox 10 lbs. in each corner - 10 lbs saving should be able to do magic.

Since the breaks are not often used on a model S (we use regen most of the time), I guess some smaller or less efficient breaks could do the job.
however CCM should give better breaking than cast iron discs so not an isue.

As far as I know Tesla OEM discs comes from Brembo. Brembo does make ceramic discs for other cars like Porsche. So why not Tesla.
I wonder if anyone has looked into if brembo does offer a ceramic break disc kit for Tesla Model S ?

Tesla OEM discs are front: 355 mm x 32 mm; rear: 365 mm x 28 mm

Brembo have a ceramic disc in size 360x32 mm (weight 3.2 kg) this is only 5 mm more than Tesla OEM discs or 2,5 mm in radius..
Some says low unsprung weight is most important on the front wheels.
Could Model S front discs be swapped out with the Brembo CCM discs of almost same size (of course brake pads would also need to be changed to fit ceramic discs) - is this posible?

what do you think

I have been thinking the exact same thing! Combined with carbon fiber wheels ala koenigsegg would be really nice. Cant wait to hear what the experts on the forum say.

Audi R8/RS5 ceramic rear discs should be almost same size as OEM tesla front discs - only 1 mm larger - I guees there is no need to change the Tesla brembo caliber...just the discs and maybe the breakpads.

356 x 32 mm
43.8 mm nav size

The price should be around 1200usd for a pair of 2 (for the front wheels where weight matters most)
anyone know the nav size of the original tesla front / rear discs

Sounds great too. Did you see the price! 31,000 a set.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Audi R8/RS5 ceramic rear discs should be almost same size as OEM tesla front discs - only 1 mm larger - I guees there is no need to change the Tesla brembo caliber...just the discs and maybe the breakpads.

356 x 32 mm
43.8 mm nav size

The price should be around 1200usd for a pair of 2 (for the front wheels where weight matters most)
anyone know the nav size of the original tesla front / rear discs

That would be great, if it worked. I'd happily spend $2400 to drop 10lbs of unsprung mass on each corner. Seems a bit too good to be true though.

FYI, I put 19" ATS Racelight wheels on my Model S and measured them at 4 kg or 9 lbs lighter than the stock 19" each. Wolfrace Wheels - ATSRacelight - silver

Here's a link to my post about weighting the wheels on the Dutch part of this forum: Velgen en banden - Page 91

Brembo does make a GT brake system that is better than the existing setup. Those brake systems come with lightweight 2-piece cross drilled discs. The front disc is upgraded to 15" with a 6-piston caliper. The rear is a 14" disc with a 4-piston caliper. Color options are red, black, silver, and yellow. It fits OEM 19" wheels.

I wonder if anyone ever upgraded to BBK mentioned here.

You'd need to do all 4. I can't see heating up steel, from wet or cold, happening at the same rate with two front ceramics in front. Ceramics don't need the warm up, so braking would get tricky. For price, Brembo also supplies the Corvettes. If you find the right diameter, swept area, and thickness, you will then have to have someone cut a hat for you, at the correct offset for a Tesla. $$$orry to be a wet blanket.

These cars do not need ceramic rotors, they are not track cars. It would look nice, and the weight savings has some benefit. But who can justify spending $15k for a full racing brake kit on a street car? http://www.racingbrake.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TES-CRP-01

That said, swapping the stock one piece rotors for a two piece design could be justified. The company linked to below claims a total weight savings of 38 lbs at a cost of $2,300. But another benefit is that the rotor rings and hat have a small degree of float. This can result in less drag between the rotor and pads. I've had a set of two piece rotors on my Lotus for some time now and I've been very happy with their performance. The only down side is they clank and rattle at low speed due to the float. This is not an issue on my noisy Elise, but on a Tesla it could be annoying.

http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Two-piece-Rotor-Kit-for-Tesla-Model-S-P-N-2434-p/tes-irk-01.htm

POR-IRK-01-2.jpg

^^^^^^ I actually put racing brake rotors and pads on my g37. They are the only ones that make a 2 piece for the g37 or 370z. They are great. Dont hardly rust and I havent gotten any brake fade since installing them. But I autox my g37. I was about to take the tesla to a track but family obligations kept me from it. The weight savings from the brembo to the racing brakes made it noticeable that I made the change. Less rotational mass.

here is a closeup of the 2 piece so you can see the quality. Sorry slightly blurry.
IMG_0040.JPG