Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model D finally deliver REAL TPMS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all the new technical advancements and the like, I wonder if Tesla will finally take this opportunity to introduce TPMS that has actual pressures for each wheel, instead of "Low pressure, check (all your) tires". And that goes for other seemingly common things that lesser cars come standard with.

With all the new technical advancements and the like, I wonder if Tesla will finally take this opportunity to introduce TPMS that has actual pressures for each wheel, instead of "Low pressure, check (all your) tires". And that goes for other seemingly common things that lesser cars come standard with.

Not being willing to wait, and having been burned a few times by a system that does not read and report the pressure in each tire, I ordered these: Fobo Tires Bluetooth TPMS. Should have them in early November. With these you can monitor tire pressure 24/7 with your phone, whereever you are. I'm assuming Tesla will eventually do this but who knows when?

Not being willing to wait, and having been burned a few times by a system that does not read and report the pressure in each tire, I ordered these: Fobo Tires Bluetooth TPMS. Should have them in early November. With these you can monitor tire pressure 24/7 with your phone, whereever you are. I'm assuming Tesla will eventually do this but who knows when?

This is pretty cool!
Thanks for sharing the link.

There might be a reason Tesla doesn't do this. Some TPMS sensors can only sense a deflated tyre by measuring the wheel speed and rotation characteristics, they can't give a pressure measurement, just a "this tyre is bad." They should be able to tell you which is deflated though...

Not to mention the fact that you have 4 different sensors with possibly 4 different calibrations. I'd rather leave it to a single gauge, measured regularly.

I don't follow; There are still 4 sensors ( How many lights? - YouTube ) on the Tesla. If FOBO can do this cheaply and effectivly, and GM can do it on far "lesser" cars, I fail to see why Tesla can't/won't. I do realize, it's just tire pressure sensors and certainly not a deal breaker for us buyers - but I can't shake the feeling that Tesla got a good deal buying some manufacturer out of thier entire inventory of obsolete tire pressure sensors :)

I don't follow; There are still 4 sensors on the Tesla.

Are you sure?
Has anyone changed tires and did the sensors need to be installed/replaced/

The TPMS which do not give pressure readout are usually the indirect TPMS type - i.e. there are NO tire sensors. The system works by comparing the rotation speed and resonance frequency of the tires using existing ABS sensors.

For some reasons, indirect TPMS systems, which fell out of favor, are making a comeback - some VW & Audi, Mazda and most of all the new Honda have switched back to indirect systems (?cost saving).

Are you sure?

The TPMS which do not give pressure readout are usually the indirect TPMS type - i.e. there are NO tire sensors. The system works by comparing the rotation speed and resonance frequency of the tires using existing ABS sensors.

For some reasons, indirect TPMS systems, which fell out of favor, are making a comeback - some VW & Audi, Mazda and most of all the new Honda have switched back to indirect systems (?cost saving).

Are you suggesting Tesla has changed their TPMS system from sensor to software based (rotational analysis) through software updates without telling the customers or regulators???

Are you sure?

Indirect systems "fell out of favor" because the original designs could not meet the performance requirements of the DOT when they started mandating systems in 2005(?). To meet the DOT requirements, direct systems (with a pressure sensor in each wheel) were necessary. Manufacturers have improved indirect systems so they can meed the DOT requirements, so many are switching to them for cost savings over direct systems that use a TPMS at each wheel.

The Tesla system is a direct system, with a sensor at each wheel. As discussed many times in the past, they have access to the individual tire readings; the just choose not to give the info to the driver.

Indirect systems "fell out of favor" because the original designs could not meet the performance requirements of the DOT when they started mandating systems in 2005(?). To meet the DOT requirements, direct systems (with a pressure sensor in each wheel) were necessary. Manufacturers have improved indirect systems so they can meed the DOT requirements, so many are switching to them for cost savings over direct systems that use a TPMS at each wheel.

The Tesla system is a direct system, with a sensor at each wheel. As discussed many times in the past, they have access to the individual tire readings; the just choose not to give the info to the driver.

NP my soon to be traded for an S85D 2012 Audi S4 has an indirect sensorless system that is very good, not once did it alert me with cooler weather.

Also for a TireRack superuser the indirect systems are a Godsent, there is nothing to program.

NP my soon to be traded for an S85D 2012 Audi S4 has an indirect sensorless system that is very good, not once did it alert me with cooler weather.

Also for a TireRack superuser the indirect systems are a Godsent, there is nothing to program.

The Dill branded system that Tire Rack sells are direct, not indirect. There is a sensor in each wheel (direct); they do not monitor ABS sensors for wheel speed (indirect). From the description:

"The system relies on an aluminum valve stem transmitter/sensor installed in each wheel to continuously monitor pressure and temperature"

At little bit of info to add to the discussion:

Over the weekend, I had a TPMS error pop up twice and eventual clear itself. (I don't remember the exact wording, but it was not a low pressure warning. It did say to contact the service center.) I called them, and they were able to remotely diagnose it as a communication problem with the right rear sensor. So the software can distinguish between the four sensors.

At little bit of info to add to the discussion:

Over the weekend, I had a TPMS error pop up twice and eventual clear itself. (I don't remember the exact wording, but it was not a low pressure warning. It did say to contact the service center.) I called them, and they were able to remotely diagnose it as a communication problem with the right rear sensor. So the software can distinguish between the four sensors.

I get that one all the time. It is when it rains :(

I recall, however, that our system uses a singular receiver instead of one in each wheel well. That is, we know the pressures of each individual tire, but not the actual current location of that tire. That would go a long way towards explaining why Tesla hasn't exposed this, as it would be confusing to owners.

I get that one all the time. It is when it rains :(

My car has had this symptom 'fixed' three times now. Including once adding a new receiving antenna supposedly.And it started throwing the same fault again. :frown: