Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Great Debate: Loaded 85D vs P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So as I am moving towards my new Model S after the inventory debacle - I noticed that the 85D I was equipping was the same price as a P85 without some of the "nice to have" extras.

By removing the following from the 85D (on my 85P config), I was able to get both builds for roughly 100k flat:
* AWD
* Premium Sound
* Dual Chargers
* Premium Headliner
* Air Suspension
* Downgrade 85P wheels to 19''

Now all of the above are "nice to have" and I really don't want to spend much more than 100k on the new car. The range advantage from the 85D is nice but not really an issue. Dual chargers are also nice as there are many tesla wall chargers for free in my area.

So I guess it comes down to the following: luxury vs performance.

Which version would you get with $100k budget?

Last edited:
Everyone's needs are different so it is kind of hard to say. For my needs I would chose the 85D, though you can probably get a P85 quicker due to not needing to wait till next year. Now not sure if you are in queue to get a car or planning to get one. But there are a few options to consider if P85 is your goal. For example, a lot of people are unloading their brand new P85s and P85+ to get the P85D. So it might make sense to see what people have going.

Where's the best place to look to buy a secondary P85 or P85+? I'd want one with autopilot which severely reduces the amount of choices.

Two things:

I gave up my S85 without autopilot on order for S85D with most options (just over 100k), so that's what I vote for. My thinking is S85D with the HP split between 2 axles is going to perform very well, and that the power of P85 RWD is often traction limited. For a commuter who will keep 19" wheels I thought S85D hit the sweet spot.

If you just want autopilot and not AWD, I would check with your local sales reps. I was told that hundreds of people changed orders to get AWD. Some of those orders must have been in production and hit the lot as inventory cars.

Both solid options.

Easy choice for me: 85D with dual chargers and spring suspension.

Everyone has their own priorities, mine are range and handling. Acceleration on the 85D is excellent; plenty quick enough for me.

GSP