Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade Button is Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timf

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
The Upgrade button is back on the My Tesla page for me. If you were looking to get a Signature in North America, now may be your chance. There's also the possibility it's just a glitch, since the page it takes you to hasn't been updated and still indicates a 2014 delivery date.

thank you very much, timf! your post just cost me 35K... i'm now #1369 and really excited to have been given a '2nd chance'.
sounds as if only signatures will be delivered in '14.

- - - Updated - - -

"deliveries will begin in fall 2015" per the email i got upon upgrading to sig.

A few Sig spots opened up as people switched over to an AWD Model S; and Tesla long since confirmed X is coming in 2015. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but building cars is complicated and Tesla doesn't exactly have a reputation for getting ahead of schedule.

Oy, delayed again. Do you folks think this pushes me into 2016 as a 12xxx reservation holder? I'm torn over what to do. I really want the X, but I will likely need a new car by the end of next year, and if that's an impossibility I may as well take back my interest free loan. I was given a Fall 2015 delivery estimate when I reserved, but I'm starting to suspect that was just out of date static text on the site.

thank you very much, timf! your post just cost me 35K... i'm now #1369 and really excited to have been given a '2nd chance'.
sounds as if only signatures will be delivered in '14.

- - - Updated - - -

Right behind you at 1370. I'm hoping for delivery before WA state sales tax exemption goes away July 1, 2015. I'd rather get $10k worth of upgrades I may not have ordered otherwise instead of paying it to the state.

Just curious: Do you think TM plans 1,200 sigX builds in NA? I know they have 1300+ reservations but we all know some have dropped off the list...wait time, 'D' model, etc.

Edit: if the speculation above is correct about delivery delays then I will owe Bonnie another beer on my bet that she would get her X by March 31st. I think I owe her almost a case by now with all the bets I have lost. :biggrin:

Oy, delayed again. Do you folks think this pushes me into 2016 as a 12xxx reservation holder?
Yes. As someone who lived through the Model S ramp, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a similar pattern for the Model X rollout: a small number of Sig Xs released in June to tick the "Q2 delivery start" box, but with a slow ramp. Probably not as slow a ramp as with the Model S because the factory is already up and running, but I'd be very surprised if Tesla delivers more than 5k Model Xs in 2015.

Yes. As someone who lived through the Model S ramp, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a similar pattern for the Model X rollout: a small number of Sig Xs released in June to tick the "Q2 delivery start" box, but with a slow ramp. Probably not as slow a ramp as with the Model S because the factory is already up and running, but I'd be very surprised if Tesla delivers more than 5k Model Xs in 2015.

Agree ... and you well may be overly optimistic.

Right behind you at 1370. I'm hoping for delivery before WA state sales tax exemption goes away July 1, 2015. I'd rather get $10k worth of upgrades I may not have ordered otherwise instead of paying it to the state.

$10k? Maybe you should get an S/D, then trade for your X when it's built. I bet the $17,500 in sales and income tax incentives cover your depreciation.

Congrats. My wife and I discussed it tonight but decided so stick with our production reservation. She really wants/needs to test drive it before ordering and I think it's possible the sigs will start shipping before all the galleries have cars.

Yes, that is one of my concerns. With my original #12K reservation, I was comfortable knowing I would have 6-9 months (and thousands) of X deliveries before I would have to order...that's not the case with a USA Signature X. Oh well.

Why would it say deliveries begin 2014? That seems to counter the guidance we've been hearing.

xsig.png

My opinion:

I too think P85Ds ans another Model S Ds are behind the resurgence of the Update button. I am fairly certain, judging by the nature of other high-tech releases with pre-orders, that a significant amount of people were in this for the newness of the AWD Tesla thing or otherwise in it for AWD more so than Model X. Thus Model S AWD coming out sooner will get some of these people - just like Model X AWD coming out sooner would have done the reverse and eaten some Model S D purchases.

Early adopters (and that's a lot of the Tesla Sig folks) like to buy the latest and greatest and now Model X pre-order got superceded by Model S AWD, so attention moved there. It may reverse a little once Model X is produced and again the latest news instead of a pre-order limbo like now.

People like the Order button more than the Pre-order button. What is immediately (relatively speaking in this case) available is more attractive than what is not, to an extent at least. Very true for many products and just human nature.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would it say deliveries begin 2014? That seems to counter the guidance we've been hearing.

Is it possible Model X Sig deliveries for the very first few might still commence in 2014? I mean, Tesla is clearly keeping the lid on the Model X ordering process - until a moment in time when they no longer are. It isn't completely impossible, I guess, that Model X orders might go live (in batches based on priority), say, 1st November for December 15th delivery in the U.S.? And then ramp-up so that new production orders are delivered fall 2015.

People who have been following this more closely may offer better insight, but just because Tesla is silent, does not mean Model X couldn't come out very soon?

All it means is they haven't bothered to update the text on that page. There are other reports that the confirmation emails that get sent out are saying Fall 2015, but these may be the same text as production reservations receive. My best guess is it'll be somewhere in between, say May-June 2015.

Text in the confirmation letter went fom “2014” (production res) to “fall 2015” (sig res) between late March and now. That’s a huge push back; I doubt we’ll see any deliveries before “fall”. Now production MX won’t start until 2016.