Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Glenwood Springs, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very fun drive along I70 to get to this Supercharger. It's a bit of a drive to get back on the highway, taking you through downtown Glenwood Springs I would guess. It is a neat little downtown, and is worth the stop after Supercharging. I didn't walk around much during this Supercharge as it was raining and there were a couple of other owners there charging as well to chit-chat with. I don't think there's much in the immediate area of the Supercharger except the two hotels. But it's a very pretty drive, especially when the leaves are changing.....

Glenwood Springs, CO (2).jpg

Glenwood Springs, CO.jpg

I stayed at the Residence Inn in Glenwood Springs last weekend. There are a couple restaurants and big box stores within walking distance, but good food definitely will require a drive. Big Daddy's Sports Bar was a great hole-in-the-wall find, just a few miles away. They have very good pork green chili (best I've had outside New Mexico) and their jalapeño poppers were also noteworthy (bacon wrapped and baked/broiled rather than breaded and fried) with a raspberry dipping sauce.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1077.JPG

The parking lot situation can get pretty crowded with the two hotels there. The Marriott staff does a great job making sure there are always some spots left open for active charging. I hope more businesses treat the Supercharger spots with as much respect.

I stayed at the Residence Inn in Glenwood Springs last weekend. There are a couple restaurants and big box stores within walking distance, but good food definitely will require a drive. Big Daddy's Sports Bar was a great hole-in-the-wall find, just a few miles away. They have very good pork green chili (best I've had outside New Mexico) and their jalapeño poppers were also noteworthy (bacon wrapped and baked/broiled rather than breaded and fried) with a raspberry dipping sauce.

How much did a night cost at that hotel?

The Marriott staff does a great job making sure there are always some spots left open for active charging.

Just a word of warning, this was not my experience with this location. Explaining to either front desk that I cannot charge resulted in a disappointed sigh from the manager, an apology, and (to paraphrase) a statement that there’s nothing they can do even though they ask people not to park in those spaces.

My first time through, all the spaces were ICE’d, except one space occupied by a Model S that was clearly no longer in need of it after my first hour of waiting and trying to get the hotels to help. Since I didn’t have enough charge to go anywhere else, I was stranded here for about 11 hours waiting for someone to move. Neither hotel was willing to commit to towing the cars, despite the signs that say so.

The second time I made sure that this was an optional stop. Once again, all the spaces were ICE’d, two spaces by a diagonally-parked Escalade. That kind of behavior seems intentionally malicious.

In both cases, I called Tesla Motors Roadside Assistance and sent them pictures of the situation. I’m hopeful they can get some more active enforcement.

The 2 or 3 times I've been to this location in the last couple months the parking lot has been very crowded but they had those big orange and white traffic barrels blocking off the supercharger spots so none were ICEd. I guess they don't do that all the time though.

> I was stranded here for about 11 hours waiting for someone to move. [Sean Scian]

At GwSprings what you can do is drive up and over the curb on the left side of the road coming down the hill, up onto the grass and park next to the back side of one of the arches. Choose a pair of elongated rocks to aid in getting up the curb. Air Susp would come in handy and the downhill slope will help your traction. Gotta be pro-active!
--

Good to know. I'm planning a trip from the Denver area. I was planning to skip Silverthorne and make Glenwood my first stop. Based on the above, think I will stop at Silverthorne and skip Glenwood, making Grand Junction my next charging stop. Anyone see any problems with that?

Good to know. I'm planning a trip from the Denver area. I was planning to skip Silverthorne and make Glenwood my first stop. Based on the above, think I will stop at Silverthorne and skip Glenwood, making Grand Junction my next charging stop. Anyone see any problems with that?

I have never had a problem charging in Glenwood Springs mid-day. It looks like evenings can be bad, but I have no experience. This parking lot gets full at night.

In terms of charge time, leaving the front range with a 95%-100% charge, it's easy to make it to Glenwood Springs with a lower state of charge for fast charging there.

If I were heading west today, leaving the front range in the morning, I would still charge to 95%-100% and drive straight through to Glenwood Springs.

IMG_1717.JPG
IMG_1718.JPG
IMG_1719.JPG

The barrels were there. They’re supposed to be movable so Tesla owners can charge, but that sadly means anyone can.

- - - Updated - - -

And, crap. Sorry the pics are upside down, but you can clearly see all bays occupied. My car is at the end, angled in to see if that last space was reachable.

I stopped by on July 5 around 11:00 am. All barrels were lined up in the middle (not blocking any parking stalls) and 3 of the 6 stalls were ICEd. My wife complained at the front desk while I plugged in. She got the same "oh well, we can't do anything about it" attitude.

I stopped by on July 5 around 11:00 am. All barrels were lined up in the middle (not blocking any parking stalls) and 3 of the 6 stalls were ICEd. My wife complained at the front desk while I plugged in. She got the same "oh well, we can't do anything about it" attitude.

I am curious to find out how many ICE drivers complained to the front desk or management that their "parking places" were vacant because no one was plugged in, yet they had to park (horrors!) another 75 feet away. I wonder if this "we can't do anything about it" attitude is a direction from management or if it is just something the desk clerks discussed among themselves to avoid any further confrontation from a paying customer.

We charged in Glenwood on Friday about 11:30 PM and all but one spot was ICEd. I made sure that the cone was replaced in the slot that I left but there were five ICEs looking for a parking spot for the night. The dirt lot was blocked off so people couldn't park in there with their cars. I reported the issue to Tesla. On Sunday around 4 PM all the spots were open. I hope that Tesla pushes the hotels to actually enforce the parking rules or they move the supercharger to somewhere else in town.

Question for locals; Can you get to Pueblo via Salida from this SC? I'll be coming from the West and prefer to avoid the Denver metro area. Thanks

First, check with EVTripplanner to see if it is remotely doable.

Second, there is a 70A charger smack-dab in the middle of Salida at Wood's Distillery. I don't know if you have dual chargers, but I received 50 miles of range in one hour. You will likely receive only about 28 miles of range per hour if you have just the single charger. Great place to grab a bite, sample some of their fine distilled spirits, and then take a short walk along the river.