Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on P85D being locked into 21 inch rims for Summer and Winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a confirmed P85D order for a December delivery. Wanted to get S owner perspectives on running with the mandatory 21 inch rims for both summer and winter. I am in the Toronto area and plan on driving the P85D as a daily driver plus road trips on most of the Eastern Supercharger routes in all seasons (major snow). In reading the postings there seems to be a lot of P85 and P85+ owners that are running on 19's for summer and winter.

Should I be worried about being locked into only 21's on the P85D with respect to bent rims/flat tires etc?

There's a 19" winter wheel option on the order page. It's been a more sensible choice for my P85+ in WY. I've had no trouble running the staggered 21s over 20,000 miles now, coast to coast. It's nice that they're discounting the winter package--I went with TireRack when Tesla was charging $4K for the set.

The Tesla sales team is staying that the Website is incorrect and all P85D's can only use 21's.

The P85+ could wear 19's in a winter outfit, and except for the front motor, the P85D is supposed to be very similar. My local sales/service team is somewhere between "we don't know" and leaning towards "19's will work fine." It's a big question, but if the P85D can't wear 19's then I will be ordering an 85D instead. I must be able to put hard-core winter tires like Nokian Hakka R2's or 8's on for my winter conditions; stopping is a bigger deal than starting...

I'm not a car mechanic, but what would be the technical reason to lock into 21s? I thought any rims/tires would work as long as it fits in wheel wells and allow brakes to work without hitting the wheels...

This. I'm sure the P85D isn't "locked" into 21" rims. I think that any SA or Tesla employee saying that is either guessing or misinformed (also not uncommon). Sure, for ultimate performance stats you may need them, and maybe that's why they are saying you need 21" rims.

This. I'm sure the P85D isn't "locked" into 21" rims. I think that any SA or Tesla employee saying that is either guessing or misinformed (also not uncommon). Sure, for ultimate performance stats you may need them, and maybe that's why they are saying you need 21" rims.

The only reason that I have heard that the P85D may require 21's is if the brake calipers were larger and would not fit inside 19 rims. That being said, as far as I can get info, the suspension/brake/wheel setup on the P85D is the same as the P85+ and 19's should fit on the P85D.

The only reason that I have heard that the P85D may require 21's is if the brake calipers were larger and would not fit inside 19 rims. That being said, as far as I can get info, the suspension/brake/wheel setup on the P85D is the same as the P85+ and 19's should fit on the P85D.

I guess that's a possible reason.. We'll just have to wait until someone tries on their 19"s on their PD. But I personally doubt that's the reason.

The sales team has probably been told you have to order the P85D with 21s, which is true. That doesn't mean that 19s won't fit, the fact that the order page allows the purchase of 19" winter tires confirms 19" wheels will fit. Just like you couldn't order the P85+ without the 21" wheels, but my 19" wheels fit just fine.

The only reason I can think of to omit the 19" rims would be (as mentioned earlier) that the brake calipers are dimensionally WIDER and would hit the spokes on the 19" rims. Pretty easy to find out IF you had a rim and a P85D. The service center would perhaps know of the part number on the calipers on P85D are the same. They may not have access to the P85D parts list as of yet however. The design center DOES indeed allow you to order the 19" winter tire set with the P85D as an option. An error?

I wonder if the 19" winter tires are SPEED rated for 150MPH? That may be the issue in a nutshell... anyone know?

(BTW, noted this AM that the design center has a picture of the P85D interior with the new seats.... the link is in the seat option box (which says only BLACK).

Also noticed that the PRINT function is now back you can print your configuration out. It was missing since the D website upgrade.

Last edited:
Cottonwood,

What rim size and tire do you use for the summer?

I have three sets of wheels and tires for my P85:
  1. 21's, dark with Conti's that I use for special, warm, high performance days.
  2. 19's, silver with Michelin Primacy's for everyday, 3-season driving.
  3. 19's, sliver with Nokian Hakka 7's for 3-5 month hard core winter driving. When these wear out, I will get some Hakka R2's to replace them.

With a floor jack, breaker bar, and torque wrench it only takes 10-15 minutes to change wheels at home. I have a few of these for storing wheel/tires in the garage: TireRack.com - Tire Storage Rack

I have three sets of wheels and tires for my P85:
  1. 21's, dark with Conti's that I use for special, warm, high performance days.
  2. 19's, silver with Michelin Primacy's for everyday, 3-season driving.
  3. 19's, sliver with Nokian Hakka 7's for 3-5 month hard core winter driving. When these wear out, I will get some Hakka R2's to replace them.

With a floor jack, breaker bar, and torque wrench it only takes 10-15 minutes to change wheels at home. I have a few of these for storing wheel/tires in the garage: TireRack.com - Tire Storage Rack

I have the same tire rack. I mounted it fairly high on the wall. I find that lifting the wheel and tire while on a ladder is down right scary. Are you doing anything different? I thought about trying to rig up a pulley system.

Tesla is shoving those 21s down our throats because they have a crazy margin on those wheels. The car doesn't need wheels of that kind of diameter, especially when it's this heavy.
Staggered setup is 90% marketing/premium product differentiation, 10% function.

I may get 20" HREs down the road in the same size front and rear, so they can rotate if needed.

I have the same tire rack. I mounted it fairly high on the wall. I find that lifting the wheel and tire while on a ladder is down right scary. Are you doing anything different? I thought about trying to rig up a pulley system.

I'm a little over 6 feet tall, and can just reach getting the tires up and down standing on the floor in my garage, but yes, it would be very scary to handle the Tesla wheel/tire combos standing on a ladder. As it is, I have to do a nice, clean, dynamic move from the floor to the rack to get them up.