Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Woah - No new Roadsters 2012-2013?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s Roadster To Exit In 2011

Tesla’s Roadster To Exit In 2011 | Autopia | Wired.com

“We do not plan to sell our current generation Tesla Roadster after 2011 due to planned tooling changes at a supplier for the Tesla Roadster,” the company wrote in the filing.” The Roadster is built by Lotus, so presumably Tesla is talking about changes at the British automaker’s factory in Hethel, England, but we can’t confirm that because Tesla spokesman Ricardo Reyes declined to comment.

This is an interesting idea. This means that for Tesla needs to ensure an on-time creation and production of the Tesla Model S in order to keep the company cash-flow positive unless they plan to supply another company with electric drive trains.

Hopefully this planned (temporary) extinction of the Roadster will help Tesla (and it's employees) focus on getting the Model S up, running and selling on time.

Does this mean that Tesla will start "marketing" the Model S soon to increase deposits? With an impending IPO and the first productions units for the Model S still being a year or two away it's kind of interesting to read that they will be temporarily getting rid of the Roadster just in time for the Model S launch.

I wonder if Tesla could by the "tooling" and produce the cars themselves. I wonder if that means the original roadsters will be a collectors item even quicker than I thought.

It looks like the current Tesla Roadster will not get beyond 1,500 - 2,000 total in existence.
That is a fairly exclusive club for a vehicle. I will likely hold on to my Tesla Roadster for a long time.

Since they know it is going to end, we can expect that the 2010 model year will not get any more significant design changes in 2011 other than firmware updates.

If I were in Tesla's position knowing that it is going to end in 2011, I would not spend any resources redesigning much for 2011. Just keep production going as long as they can with the current design. If the Tesla Roadsters are selling, just produce as many as they can for as long as Lotus will keep the current line in production.

I think this decision is solely based on the upcoming changes to the Lotus Elise platform in 2011. Current Roadster owners are in a very exclusive group because Roadster Gen 1 will be a classic.

Maybe this upcoming change will force Tesla to move a quicker on the development of the Roadster and Model S but I do fill the next Roadster will push the envelope of design and technology on Roadster Gen 2.:biggrin:

“We do not plan to sell our current generation Tesla Roadster after 2011 due to planned tooling changes at a supplier for the Tesla Roadster,” the company wrote in the filing.”

Remember that this statement came from an IPO filing. The have every reason to be as negative in outlook as they possibly can, because its reduces the liklihood of lawsuits later claiming "You knew about this bad thing and didn't disclose it to us, and so we paid too much for your stock."

So it might be the case that they're just having trouble negotiating the contract with Lotus to keep the line running and they're spinning it as planning to stop production. Maybe later they'll actually do a deal and change their plans.

Or, maybe there's really no chance and we've got a collector's item on our hands. The question then becomes how long will they produce battery packs that will work in the one-of-a-kind Roadster platform. 7-10 years after that, all of the cars will be pretty useless.

Elon's been saying that in the last few interviews, that the Roadster will become a collector's item. This puts that more in context.

I guess we should watch the resale prices. If they start to climb them people are believing the end is coming.

I was just asked if I would be storing the car now that it's a collectors' item.

I figure they will make as many as they can before the factory gets shuttered.

Store them in the UK and in CA with 7 years of parts and sell them for as long as they can. -raising prices along the way as demand increases...

My question is about the batteries....

Tesla certainly seems to have some plans for batteries 5-7 years out as they have the pre-paid battery replacement program. From Elon's Jan 16 2009 customer update:

"With this in mind we have created a battery replacement program that allows a customer to pay up front and in return receive both a significant discount and certainty about the cost. The price of this replacement is $12,000 and is available to all Tesla customers, including those that have already taken delivery of their car. I am going to buy one for my Roadster and *I suggest that you do the same for yours*. A present value price of $12,000 is a good deal for anyone earning under 10% per year in their long term investments."

I'm wondering if that is the *only* plan. Ie, the only guarantee of future battery availability is buying it now. In that context the "I suggest that you do the same for yours" above may be just a little ominous.

In any case, Roadster owners need a clear answer on future batteries.

The way battery technology is improving I wouldn't worry about it. More than likely you'll be able to get a better, lighter, cheaper battery in the future. Even if you had to have a custom pack built you could still drive your Roadster, that's the beauty of an EV.

My GF told me about this in the car the other day and I couldn't believe it. Though, I guess this paves the way for a TRUE Tesla roadster -- that is, one that's full designed and built by them in-house. I'd wager it'd be a better car overall with all they learned from Gen 1 plus some seriously-needed (IMO) styling updates

I do think this news is pretty disappointing - especially coming on the same day that the first RHD roadsters were in London having their photos taken. All that NRE for just a 12 month production run...

I guess this will also put plans for new stores on pause - what will they have to sell until the S arrives?

If the problem is at Lotus, can someone explain what the reason for not being able to supply the gliders is? The Elise, Evora and Roadster all share the same general type of chassis etc, so why can't Roadster production continue alongside the Evora, even if the Elise is discontinued or replaced?

dpeilow,

my opinion ist the same. But maybe, as someone pointed out on the thread already, it is maybe the worst possible scenario if they could not find another solution at negotiations with lotus.
I am absolutley no lotus expert, but from what I have read somewhere, elise/exige is one platform, and evora is a complete, new developed (first after more than a decade now) other platform. Tesla cant switch from elise to evora platform for that.

best
Martin

Tesla will likely work closely with Lotus near the final few months of the Elise production line. If the Tesla Roadster is still selling well into 2011, then it would make sense for Tesla to fully stock their stores with as many Roadsters as they can afford to build from their own funds.

That might be a few hundred Tesla Roadsters that they own to sell in the following six months after Lotus finally stops.

From what I have seen, Tesla has mostly the Tesla Roadster Sport model in the stores that can be driven off the floor. If Tesla can afford it and the sales justify building a bunch on spec right at the end, they should do it.

This article from Feb of 2008 says.
So far, Tesla has presold about 900 examples of the Tesla Roadster, 600 of the 2008 model and 300 of the 2009 models. The company says it has plans to build and sell a total of 1,600 of the 2009 models before starting on anything else. The company also is contemplating going public, a rite of passage that lets the initial investors cash out and can make it easier to raise operating capital.

Pretty good proof they planned this all along.

And Elon June 09
Additionally, Tesla will independently replace the current two-seat Roadster with a larger, four-seat sports car sometime in 2013, Musk said, adding that that vehicle will be available in hardtop and convertible models, and with rear-wheel drive or optional all-wheel drive.

Last edited:
After reading the article, it seems that Tesla has its future well thought out but we think things at Tesla is moving too slow.

Here's thought: I think the next Roadster will be co-development alongside the Model S just like Fisker did because the article confirmed that the Roadster will use the same platform as the "S".

dpeilow,

my opinion ist the same. But maybe, as someone pointed out on the thread already, it is maybe the worst possible scenario if they could not find another solution at negotiations with lotus.
I am absolutley no lotus expert, but from what I have read somewhere, elise/exige is one platform, and evora is a complete, new developed (first after more than a decade now) other platform. Tesla cant switch from elise to evora platform for that.

best
Martin

Actually, I think you're all pretty much missing the point. Not only can Tesla switch from Elise to Evora for that, they would have very strong reasons to do just that.

Evora is a larger car, and MUCH easier to get into and out of by all reports. More importantl, it is a 2+2, with a very generous area behind the front seats for two additional seats, or for storage. That's where the Tesla pack is now if I"m not mistaken.

Picture a larger, roomier Tesla Roadster with ah...I'm guessing 400 mile range....

The Evora is expected to price at $78K vice $48K for the Elise. That's a bit of a bump. And I'm guessing with a waiting list already, they are NOT going to give Tesla the first few off the line, ergo the delay.

If Tesla Roadsters are selling, the only thing that makes business sense is for Tesla to keep selling them. The ONLY reason I can imagine they would stop is If they are unable to obtain them, then they have to adjust.

And the Evora would mean a huge step FORWARD for Tesla after its done. The only reason the "conversion" would not be utterly trivial for Tesla, is that there is so much opportunity for improvement given the larger more spacious frame. That means a new battery module, and I guess I think that a Roadster that is easier to live with and goes 400 miles instead of 244 would be attractive.

We looked at doing an Elise conversion ourselves as a "poor man's Tesla". I decided against it basically for the same reason. It can be done better on an Evora, so we'll just wait. To my amusement, it appears ironically that Tesla is in the same position....

Jack Rickard
EVTV/url]

Actually, I think you're all pretty much missing the point. Not only can Tesla switch from Elise to Evora for that, they would have very strong reasons to do just that.

The problem with that is ... it's too expensive and resource-diverting. They would still have to re-design the Evora due to the requirements of the heavy ESS/powertrain. Plus re-do crash testing, etc etc etc to meet FMVSS. So, IMHO, although I'd love them to do that, I understand why it needs to be postponed :frown: until after the Model S is being delivered ...