Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery to the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any details about the time scales and delivery method to get the cars to the UK.
Eg
Where do they depart from, where do they arrive at, what company transports them, time scales. Just anything so I can get an idea what is involved.

I can't remember the company but it's an enclosed transporter from West Drayton after being prepped. Before that it's final assembly in Tilburg, I think mine was an overnight trip from there. Before that it's about 5-6 weeks from California.

I can't tell you much about the manufacturing time as mine seemed to have been tied up in the summer shutdown.

It takes about 6 weeks from completing production to being ready for delivery at West Drayton.

The large majority of that is getting from the Fremont factory to the Tilburg final assembly plant.

It's hard to be sure because the dashboard can be quite inaccurate, and it doesn't distinguish the various stages. From what I've been told by my DS etc, and heard from others, I'd say it takes 3 weeks from completing production to getting on to the boat on the East Coast (i.e. to travel across the country, get all its customs and other paperwork done, and get onto the ship, plus this stage may also cover quality control and road testing at the plant - your car will probably arrive with around 15 miles on the clock from being tested on the factory's private track). Then 2 weeks or so to cross the Atlantic, arrive at Rotterdam and get to Tilburg, a couple of days there for final assembly, and a couple of days to come across to the UK (by road car transporter).

That's all pretty speculative. The point that your DS will become confident about your final delivery date is the point that the car is "on the water" i.e. somewhere in the Atlantic. My delivery appointment was booked at that point, and they hit it exactly, three weeks later.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Production itself takes 2 days if there are no issues (or longer if quality control spots something that needs doing again). It's by far the shortest step in the whole process.

I wish my DS was that accurate, I had about five or six moves in pickup / delivery date. Which included me booking flights that were then cancelled and delivery from Tilburg to the UK on a Thursday but then to find out that was the date the car was leaving Tilburg. My "confident" delivery date was about 3 days before I got the car.