Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starwood Motors & Earth Motorcars seem to be selling majorty of used Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While perusing used Teslas to see how their value holds up I noticed that Starwood Motors & Earth Motorcars seem to be selling the majority of used Teslas and I found that a bit surprising. They seem to sell more used Teslas than just about any other used car they sell. Could they be selling Model S vehicles that are traded in to Tesla because Tesla does not yet have a CPO program?

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...=stkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId&pgId=2102&rn=50

Not sure about an affiliation with the CPO program, it seems unlikely since they've been selling them for a while now. Just a data point, Earth Motors lists all 85 kwh's as Performance (unless they stopped recently), when you contact them about 85 Performance vehicle they'll clarify, saying it's not a P85. If your price shopping, you'll want to be aware of this; other dealers cars.com do this too.

Not sure about an affiliation with the CPO program, it seems unlikely since they've been selling them for a while now. Just a data point, Earth Motors lists all 85 kwh's as Performance (unless they stopped recently), when you contact them about 85 Performance vehicle they'll clarify, saying it's not a P85. If your price shopping, you'll want to be aware of this; other dealers cars.com do this too.

We are just curious about the used market to see how values hold up but we are awaiting the availability of a tan interior to finalize our P85D order. I just thought it was odd to see two dealers selling the majority of used Model S vehicles available for sale.

When I was on the hunt for my car, I spoke with Starwoods and they said that Tesla bought their old lot/building and also located across Tesla facility. I can't say if that is true or not, but might have something to do with them having so many Tesla's in stock for sale.

When I was on the hunt for my car, I spoke with Starwoods and they said that Tesla bought their old lot/building and also located across Tesla facility. I can't say if that is true or not, but might have something to do with them having so many Tesla's in stock for sale.

It seems they sell about a quarter of all Teslas for sale by dealerships on cars.com so I figured that maybe Model S vehicles acquired by Tesla as trade ins are sold through them...

For some reason our software decodes all vins as performance cars so we have to manually correct this every time we stock in a car. This also happened to us with 2012 Model S cars which we had to remove "signature from listings because the software thought every 2012 was a Sig. Hope this helps! :smile:

Hi All - I just wanted to add some clarity on this. Earth is one of several companies that purchases trade ins from Tesla. We believe strongly in the product, the company and everything they are doing for the auto industry. The cars are unbelievable, the strength of their resale value is inspiring and we are overall very excited to have the opportunity to carry them in our store. We value our relationship with Tesla and look forward to their continued success.

Hi All - I just wanted to add some clarity on this. Earth is one of several companies that purchases trade ins from Tesla. We believe strongly in the product, the company and everything they are doing for the auto industry. The cars are unbelievable, the strength of their resale value is inspiring and we are overall very excited to have the opportunity to carry them in our store. We value our relationship with Tesla and look forward to their continued success.

Thanks for the clarification! Are you the same as or affiliated with Starwood Motors?

No we're not the same as Starwood but they are a great store and have a similar relationship with Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

3216 Kellway Dr Carrollton, TX 75006
www.earthmotorcars.com
www.earthautoleasing.com (for Tesla leasing info and applications)

Thanks for clarifying, the OP is correct in assuming there's a connection.

Based on the trade in offers that others are receiving from Tesla, it's easy to see why your prices are so competitive (not bashing Tesla's offers, just an observation). Is it safe to assume; 1) the dealers (you) have some influence in the trade in offer price, 2) Tesla has some say in limiting your mark up percentage?

Your prices are certainly competitive.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing, why no banner ads on TMC? I can't think of a more relevant ad - seems like a win-win situation.

Good questions... We have a formula based on the original MSRP, miles, config and geographical location of the vehicle that helps us determine the value of the vehicles on both the purchase and the sale side. The market really has more influence over the prices than any other factor but we do look to Tesla for guidance from time to time.

As far as the banner ads on TMC: I'll have to look into that. No real reason other than we don't really advertise much since their is currently a limited supply of cars but looks like that is about to change with the influx of trades coming in on the D.

Earth and Starwood are selling a lot of Teslas, but they are not selling at all. Their prices are not very competitive since the introduction of the dual motor drive and auto pilot. If you look at Ebay, they have not sold one for months, they are stuck with their inventory. Why would anyone buy from them if we can get a inventory one from Tesla from much less with full warranty and government rebate of $7500.