Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to charge a new P85D in Boston...Zip code 02111

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi There Everyone,
I am looking for advice.
A colleague of mine cancelled his P85 order and placed a P85D order after deliberating for a few days.
Also, He recently moved into a condo in Boston, Zip Code 02111, and there is no capability for the Condo to set-up some method of charging for his new car.
And there still is not a SC in Boston - although I understand there will be one there eventually - but for the mean time, he really doesn't know where he is going to charge his car.
My question to the wonderful members of this forum is...does anyone have any ideas, creative or otherwise, on how he can keep his Tesla charged until the SC opens up in Boston? Or better yet, does anyone have an authoritative understanding of when and where the Boston SC will actually be located?

Thanks so very much for your help in trying to further this technology as much as possible.
NK!!

I'd suggest that you have a look at plugshare:
PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car!

Edit: I'm guessing you're asking about a Boston SuperCharger (as opposed to a Service Center). I wouldn't expect there to be any SuperChargers in major metro areas anytime soon. The goal of the SuperChargers is to allow long distance trips, not provide everyday charging. There is of course no restriction from using them for everyday charging where they are available, but Tesla is not going to prioritize placing them in a way that encourages everyday charging.

Last edited:
Hi There Everyone,
I am looking for advice.
A colleague of mine cancelled his P85 order and placed a P85D order after deliberating for a few days.
Also, He recently moved into a condo in Boston, Zip Code 02111, and there is no capability for the Condo to set-up some method of charging for his new car.
And there still is not a SC in Boston - although I understand there will be one there eventually - but for the mean time, he really doesn't know where he is going to charge his car.
My question to the wonderful members of this forum is...does anyone have any ideas, creative or otherwise, on how he can keep his Tesla charged until the SC opens up in Boston? Or better yet, does anyone have an authoritative understanding of when and where the Boston SC will actually be located?

Thanks so very much for your help in trying to further this technology as much as possible.
NK!!
Plugshare.com will be the first place I would look.

Hi There Everyone,
I am looking for advice.

NK!!

Instead of charging at home, is it possible for him to charge at work?

There won't be any Superchargers in Boston Metro area, however you have Natick and Watertown with HWPC available there, but obviously you need to park the car for few hours, which will be inconvenience I'm sure and not really permanent solution to his charging needs.
Boston Common garage has a public charger, also Lenox hotel has a NEMA14-50 charger if you park the car with them.

You can use Plugshare as others suggested to find nearby charging stations, but none of those are permanent solutions to charge the car. I've seen condos install HWPC for a resident in Marina bay, I would assume the owner paid for the installation and it has it's own meter (I've seen it personally), perhaps the condo can do something similar for your friend (if parking garage exists in the condo).

If he can't charge at home, and can't charge at work, and there's not a Supercharger nearby, he's not likely to have a good experience. IMO, he probably wouldn't have all that great of an experience even if there WAS a Supercharger close by. Sitting with the car for an hour, even if he only needs to charge once a week, is not going to be very enjoyable.

Last edited:
Interesting approach to buying a Tesla. As far as I recall, I sorted out all my charging needs and determined where and how often I would need to charge before buying the car, not the other way around. Not going to be fun at all trying to find places to charge...

Hi There Everyone,
I am looking for advice.

NK!!

A standard wall outlet and a heavy gauge extension cord will work in a pinch as long as you don't have to drive very far on a daily basis (a 12 hour overnight charge will add about 40 miles of range on a S85). When my wife and I were visiting Seattle, a very nice valet at our hotel let me charge the car while it was in the parking garage by running an extension cord to an outlet in the nearby stairwell.

Does his condo have a garage? He could probably get an electrician to install a switch box so he uses the dryer or range circuit. The switch box would allow either the car to charge or the appliance to run. Similar to a generator switch box. Shouldn't be an issue with the scheduled charging.