Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$4200 for insurance?? If comfortable, please share what you pay?

Annual Tesla Insurance Premium

• Under $1000

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • $1000 - $2000

Votes: 120 56.9%
  • $2000 - $3000

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • $3000 - $4000

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Over $4000

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chatting with my Uncle on his trip from Jackson WY to Nantucket, then to Florida has been fascinating. My aunt likes the shorter stops and leg stretching, she's not stiff/in pain at the end of a long day driving.

My uncle expressed frustration at his insurance. They have 4 cars, their Subaru cost $350 a year and the Tesla cost over $4000. That just sounds wrong. He said he shopped it.

I know there are random comments about premiums people are paying, but I'd like to have one concise place for this. If you are comfortable sharing, please post the following:

1. Annual Tesla Premium,
  2. Lowest car premium
  3. Total cars owned
  4. Number of drivers
  5. Insurance company.
​Thanks!

Chatting with my Uncle on his trip from Jackson WY to Nantucket, then to Florida has been fascinating. My aunt likes the shorter stops and leg stretching, she's not stiff/in pain at the end of a long day driving.

My uncle expressed frustration at his insurance. They have 4 cars, their Subaru cost $350 a year and the Tesla cost over $4000. That just sounds wrong. He said he shopped it.

I know there are random comments about premiums people are paying, but I'd like to have one concise place for this. If you are comfortable sharing, please post the following:

1. Annual Tesla Premium,
  2. Lowest car premium
  3. Total cars owned
  4. Number of drivers
  5. Insurance company.
​Thanks!

About $750/year.
2 drivers, 2 cars plus home.
No accidents or tickets.
State Farm

One thing to be aware of, I have heard performance cars can have a higher cost. Not sure though as I avent insured one myself.
If he is using an insurance broker, his broker is getting rich ;-)

Under 30 driver here, no tickets/accidents on record. Same with my wife.

Have house and another car with State Farm, recent quote was $2,100-$2,300 per year (depending on options like deductible, rental car reimbursement, etc). Please note I live in Los Angeles, where insurance prices are about 30-40% higher than usual. If I lived 1-2 hours south in Orange county, the price would be ~$1,000-$1,500 according to my insurance agent.

I am currently with Geico and they offered me $1087 for an year
2 cars with 2 drivers
No accidents or tickets
Geico

However I am planning to switch to Safeco because they offer agreed value if the car is totaled for $1400 per year for both the cars ( However the second car is not covered for an agreed value)

TedKidd::::: I bet that $4000 for Tesla includes replacement coverage... I will be surprised if it is not

I have question to all those who responded to this thread..Does your insurance offer cash value if the car is totaled or does it provide agreed value...Most of us don't realize how fast these cars can depreciate. Just wondering.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm currently with PEMCO.
2 vehicles. 2004 F150, 2014 S85.
S85 is $647.82 annually
F150 is $484.83 annually
2 drivers no accidents or tickets.

I called the service center before I got my car and got the info on the auto-body shop they recommended. Called them and asked who was good and bad as far as paying them.

They told me PEMCO and Chubb were particularly good about paying without fussing. Told me that Safeco, USAA, and Liberty Mutual were very bad. Everyone else was just ok.

I called all of them, PEMCO happened to be the cheapest. Progressive and AllState both gave me quotes in that $4000 range. So I'd suggest doing some shopping.

Interesting to know...Breser does PEMCO offer agreed value... I know Safeco does but I wanted to make sure before I make the switch.

I'm not carrying agreed value and didn't ask. PEMCO isn't an option for you anyway, they only insure in Oregon and Washington.

I'd also encourage you not to rely on what my local shop says. Insurance company decisions are made by people, the behavior of even large national companies varies by region. So I'd suggest that you call the shop you'd use and ask them.

Edit: Something I should also mention is that just becuase a shop said an insurance company wasn't very willing to pay doesn't mean the owner of the vehicle had a bad experience. I happen to know about the incident that caused the shop to say USAA was bad came out very well for the owner of that vehicle. If an insurance company isn't willing to pay for the repair they'll total the vehicle and then how good they are from an owner perspective comes down to how easy they are to come to agreement on the value of the vehicle. If you're carrying agreed value well then you've already handled that bit already. So then the question becomes do you want the vehicle repaired if it can be or would you rather they total it out and you get a new one.

Last edited:
To add some more (these prices include me being under 30, add wife, no accidents/tickets, living in Los Angeles, bundling with other car):

Amica (aka Costco) offers new car replacement policy (depending on state, apparently) up to 180 days from date of purchase. ~$2500 yearly to bump to that option with my info (see earlier post).

Geico around $1800-$1900 for me.

Progressive $2600+

AAA $3000+

Mercury $4,000+

Whenever I see requests such as this I always wonder how it is possible that anyone could compare without providing huge amounts of information. Your insurance rates depend upon at least the following:
- Number of drivers and driving history
- Number and type of vehicles insured
- Whether or not you insure other things with the same company (e.g. home)
- Where you live
- Age and gender of drivers
- coverage limits
- deductibles
- optional coverages (roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, etc.)

I'm sure I am forgetting some things in this list. With that said, $4200 does seem really high for a year of auto insurance though if you have young drivers with tickets/accidents on their record and high coverage limits I could see it getting to that level.

Whenever I see requests such as this I always wonder how it is possible that anyone could compare without providing huge amounts of information.

If you compare to one person that's a pretty poor sample, but as you get more responses your confidence increases.

At this point with 49 responses and no others over $3000 it seems a pretty fair conclusion that $4000 is an outlier worth digging into.

If you compare to one person that's a pretty poor sample, but as you get more responses your confidence increases.

At this point with 49 responses and no others over $3000 it seems a pretty fair conclusion that $4000 is an outlier worth digging into.

An important point not to miss is those of us who did shop are reporting that there was a pretty wide range of pricing. In my case Progressive was very expensive and State Farm was more reasonable. I've seen others report exactly the opposite. The only conclusion I came from looking at these threads is that you can't use them to shop for insurance. You have to call the insurance companies up and ask for a quote, because (as someone else pointed out earlier) there are too many variables to make any conclusions.

That said I agree $4000 for a year of insurance is high and I would be shopping for a different insurance company. That is in fact pretty much what happened. I'd had Progressive for 15 years, that's roughly what they quoted me. I took my business elsewhere.