Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is the Michigan Tesla ownership experience (October 2014)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a native Michigander, I've been considering moving back there (Harbor Springs area). Up to now, I've focused mainly on charging and the SuperCharger infrastructure so I haven't been too concerned -- the 2014/2015 plans look adequate. Now that I've had a chance to read how restrictive Michigan is regarding service and support, though, it makes me wonder what I'd be getting myself in for.

So, for the Michigan Tesla owners -- how does Tesla provide warranty/repair service, and how well does it work? Are the Rangers "allowed" to work in-state, or is that also prevented by the state laws?

Basically looking for some reassurance here... or to set my expectations more accurately.

So, for the Michigan Tesla owners -- how does Tesla provide warranty/repair service, and how well does it work? Are the Rangers "allowed" to work in-state, or is that also prevented by the state laws?

Tesla service works reasonably well in Michigan. Rangers are allowed to work in-state and I did not see any wording in the HB5605 that would change that, unless they try to define the Ranger's truck as a "repair facility". Ranger service is currently arranged through the Columbus Service Center, although I got the impression that the Ranger who works on my car actually lives in Michigan.

Since I live on the west coast, I contact one of the Chicago-area service centers as for more significant work. On the east side they work through the Columbus service center. I pay a $100 "valet fee" for them to come pick up my car on a trailer and return it the next day when the service is done. Both Chicago and Columbus a very long hauls from Harbor Springs, but I believe they would still support valet service for the nominal $100 fee. I have not been offered a loaner, but it has not been a big deal as they make great efforts to get my car back the next day.

It can take two or three weeks to schedule an appointment for non-emergency service. I cannot say if that is normal or if arranging the additional logistics takes longer than for a local customer.

That being said, I would definitely be happy if public outrage over the current fiasco ended up repealing the REGULATION OF MOTOR VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS, WHOLESALERS, AND DEALERS Act 118 of 1981.

Thanks for the response, Phoster. Two or three weeks for scheduled service is about what I'm getting here in Houston, and I could hit the service center with a thrown rock from my office. As for the rest, and the dependence on Ranger service -- that's about what I'd expected. I don't expect them to airlift a loaner within 30 minutes if the battery pack goes stupid somewhere between Kalkaska and Grayling at 2 a.m. in late January, but it's important to know that I wouldn't be completely hosed if that happens (no more than so than I would be with an ICE ride under similar circumstances).

Also -- I caught a momentary glance of an offer from someone to give me more info in PM, but didn't write down the details and haven't been able to convince the forum software to cough up the message back up...