Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jay Leno on Tesla: 'We've reached the point where success is jeered."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
very good. He makes a good point, the media made it look like all Model S's where spontaneously combusting, the media likes to be critical of success, they should be aplauding Tesla's success. I think most of it can be explained by who butters their bread (Hint: it isn't Tesla)

I've never been a big Jay Leno fan but he was on point and absolutely correct. Go Jay!

Just wait until he gets his hands on a P85D. We caught him on a bad day when he did the Model S for his "garage" the last time. He really liked the car but just didn't seem blown away by it as he should have been. I'm thinking the P85D will knock his socks off.

.../ We caught him on a bad day when he did the Model S for his "garage" the last time. He really liked the car but just didn't seem blown away by it as he should have been. I'm thinking the P85D will knock his socks off.
I don’t know, but it feels like the only reason Jay doesn’t have a Model S as his daily driver is because GM (and/or Ford and Chrysler) are contributing significantly to the money pile he needs to maintain his ‘garage’ and pay all his ‘garage’ staff.

And if he really fully understood the implications of AGW (Anthropogenic Global Warming) he wouldn’t own the so-called “tank car”… And probably not a whole bunch of other cars that he also currently owns.

Hopefully he doesn’t own a Roadster because he understands that it’s better that the Roadsters are owned by people who actually use them a lot.

I don’t know, but it feels like the only reason Jay doesn’t have a Model S as his daily driver is because GM (and/or Ford and Chrysler) are contributing significantly to the money pile he needs to maintain his ‘garage’ and pay all his ‘garage’ staff.

And if he really fully understood the implications of AGW (Anthropogenic Global Warming) he wouldn’t own the so-called “tank car”… And probably not a whole bunch of other cars that he also currently owns.
I believe his daily driver is a Chevy Volt, and I think that's a reasonable compromise. Nothing wrong with collecting gas cars. They are part of history and are essentially museum pieces.

The Tank car is pretty neat, not really meant to be driven other than for show, it is huge! & Randy (who made it)is a really interesting guy, just need to get him into electrics! I raced 'with' him just a week ago but his super 7 broke a tie rod or something.

didn't really car for Leno until I saw his videos with Randy and this one
funny he is talking about Tesla with the Tank car right behind him, or how is that supposed to be taken?

Nothing wrong with collecting gas cars. They are part of history and are essentially museum pieces.

Agreed. After owning an S, I look at gas cars like how I see steam engines. I've visited the collection at the Deutsches Museum in München and it is amazing:

Deutsches Museum: Steam Locomotive

So likewise it is perfectly respectable that Jay Leno preserves a gas car collection as a monument to a bygone era, like the Peterson, Marconi, or Nethercutt Museums.

I thought he gave it a very glowing review in that piece with Franz.

He didn't seem to have done his homework before that 2012 review. (Didn't seem very familiar with the charging options, supercharging, etc.) But judging from this latest video clip, he has come a long way in the past two years.

Here is a fun video of his 1909 Baker Electric: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4P_ACPT5wA

.../ Nothing wrong with collecting gas cars. They are part of history and are essentially museum pieces.
I kind of like Leno. He seems like a kind of a really nice guy. For instance: The Tonight Show with Jay Leno was always (?) a union show (see 2:11 in the YouTube clip below.). And here (and here) he is protesting against the dictator of Brunei.

But the “Tank Car“ (!)

What's the point?

.../ The Blastolene Special, also known as the "Tank Car" /.../ Created from a military tank engine and a custom-made aluminium body, /.../ it produces 810 bhp (600 kW) (@2800 rpm) and 1,560 pound force-feet (2,120 N·m) (@2400 rpm) of torque. /.../ The car weighs 9,500 pounds (4,300 kg) which is 1/11th the weight of the original tank from which the engine was used. /.../

Interesting facts

/.../

• The car gets 5 miles per gallon (up from the original performance of 2–3 miles per gallon, after the transmission was replaced.)
/...

Source: Blastolene Special - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To me it’s just 4,3 tonnes of excess waste. And that’s when it’s just standing still somewhere with the ICE not running. When the (tank (!)) ICE is running, it allegedly originally did 2-3 miles per gallon(!) That has (again allegedly) been ‘improved’ to 5 miles per gallon (!)…

It must make you feel really good about yourself rolling around in…

To sum it up, it just seems like a bad caricature of a compensation for something in the male genitalia department…

I also don’t see the point of owning a bunch of gas-guzzlers from the 80s, 90s and the last 13,7-ish years. (Tried to find a complete list of his car collection, but couldn’t find one.)

Last edited by a moderator:
He may have a couple of warehouses full of cars, but he can only drive one at a time. So in criticizing him for his collection, perhaps we should start criticizing people for having houses that are too big for what they really need. After all it takes more energy in whatever form, to heat/cool a 5,000 sq ft home than a 1500 sq ft home.

He may have a couple of warehouses full of cars, but he can only drive one at a time. So in criticizing him for his collection, perhaps we should start criticizing people for having houses that are too big for what they really need. After all it takes more energy in whatever form, to heat/cool a 5,000 sq ft home than a 1500 sq ft home.
You're free to go down whatever slope you want.

I still think my argument in post #18 is valid.