Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can no longer buy metal pedals for non-perf cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had car in for annual check and had asked to have metal pedals installed.

Told it couldn't be done. Had done in the past, but can't any more.

What? Done this swap on a number of cars in the past and never had any issues buying the parts and installing myself.

Strange. Do you know the people at the service center who sold them to you in the past? I'd just ask a different person and see if you get a different answer. I don't see why they wouldn't want to sell you a pair of pedals for $250 that probably cost them $30 to make.

I requested the same thing (i.e., have the metal pedals installed) and was told no as well by the Rockville SC. I was told that they are no longer putting any performance model parts on non-performance models. I can see why they aren't putting red calipers or spoilers on non-performance cars since those are specific options for the performance models which are listed in the Design Studio, but the pedals aren't handled that way.

I didn't ask them to just sell them to me. Are you saying they wouldn't sell them or they wouldn't install them?

I didn't ask them to just sell them to me. Are you saying they wouldn't sell them or they wouldn't install them?

I asked them to install also. May have to just try and order.

Here are the part numbers
ACCELERATOR PEDAL PAD - 1005916-00-A
BRAKE PEDAL PAD - 6008130-01-A

--Update--

The SC said I cannot order parts.

Time to talk to the mothership...

Last edited:
Yeah, before there was no difference in seat comfort, only in styling (according to the salesperson), but we could get seats with piping. I didn't order them before because I thought it was too much to pay for red piping. Now there's a difference in comfort and we can't get them without going to P85D. Oh well.

I'm sure they'll filter down eventually.

I asked them to install also. May have to just try and order.

Here are the part numbers
ACCELERATOR PEDAL PAD - 1005916-00-A
BRAKE PEDAL PAD - 6008130-01-A

--Update--

The SC said I cannot order parts.

Time to talk to the mothership...

This is a real bummer. I was able to order the metal pedals for my S85, and though you have to look to see them, they are a very nice upgrade. I am very surprised they would restrict this, given that the metal pedals have never been specifically identified as a Performance item. In fact, had they ever been identified as such, it might have swayed my decision to go with a P back in 2012...I was really teetering on the fence, obviously.

The better answer here would be to make the metal pedals standard, as the plastic/rubber versions just look cheap, and last I checked my car cost over $100,000 after taxes (and before tax credits :wink:). Or just make them available as an upgradable item.

This is a real bummer. I was able to order the metal pedals for my S85, and though you have to look to see them, they are a very nice upgrade. I am very surprised they would restrict this, given that the metal pedals have never been specifically identified as a Performance item. In fact, had they ever been identified as such, it might have swayed my decision to go with a P back in 2012...I was really teetering on the fence, obviously.

The better answer here would be to make the metal pedals standard, as the plastic/rubber versions just look cheap, and last I checked my car cost over $100,000 after taxes (and before tax credits :wink:). Or just make them available as an upgradable item.

+1 on this.

This is an annoyance with Tesla. If I go to a normal dealer and ask for a part, they may ask for a part number, but they never ask to confirm which car I own. I can buy any part for any car as long as I have money and can say which part.

Tesla is very hostile right now to aftermarket repair of it's vehicles. They can get away with this while people are under warranty, but I don't know how well it will stand up after that...

This is an annoyance with Tesla. If I go to a normal dealer and ask for a part, they may ask for a part number, but they never ask to confirm which car I own. I can buy any part for any car as long as I have money and can say which part.

Tesla is very hostile right now to aftermarket repair of it's vehicles. They can get away with this while people are under warranty, but I don't know how well it will stand up after that...

I've read about other manufacturers restricting the availability of certain parts, but that has always been in the context of a limited or special edition model (see, e.g., this story about the new Z28 GM restricting Camaro Z/28 parts so you cant build yourself a clone - Autoblog).

Hmm, I'm starting to see a business opportunity for P85 owners. They can go to their local service centers and buy up a bunch of these pedals and then resale them to us non-P85 owners! :smile:

Seriously, I get were Tesla is coming from here. But then again we are talking about pedals! It's not like P85 owners are going to feel ripped off or less special because those of us with non-P85 cars have the same pedals they do.

Good! I'm tired of you non-Performance people trying to look like Performance people, but without the cost. I paid a major premium for those pedals and would see my car significantly devalued if sold to every non-P owner. Why not buy the P85 badge as well, as I'm sure that also has a part number... There is a reason Performance owners paid a premium for those things, to be unique. Now you want to muzzle in on our uniqueness? I don't think so!

... and for those without a sense of humor, this is a joke.

Hmm, I'm starting to see a business opportunity for P85 owners. They can go to their local service centers and buy up a bunch of these pedals and then resale them to us non-P85 owners! :smile:

Seriously, I get were Tesla is coming from here. But then again we are talking about pedals! It's not like P85 owners are going to feel ripped off or less special because those of us with non-P85 cars have the same pedals they do.

hmm. interesting idea.

I might feel less special if there was some sort of a P85D car.:tongue:
my car has some stuff that only sig cars had. how do they feel?

could I replace those chrome parts if they broke? or would Tesla not sell the original parts? I thought some non P85 cars also had the metal pedals early on?