Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear uneven tire wear caused be less of an issue with the new AWD Model S 85D or P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know with the announcement of the AWD Model S "D", if the uneven tire wear from the cambering will now also cause the same issue on the front tires, or will the tires wear more evenly (i.e last longer) because the torque will be distributed more equally? I have friends who have the current 60 and 85 models and they have to constantly change the rear tires only because of the inside tire wear caused by the cambering and torque. I've heard bad stories about people only getting 6-10K miles out of the rear tires just using it as an every day commuting car. Would love to start a thread around what people thing the AWD will do? Last thing I want to have to do is now replace 4 tires every 6-10K miles...

Will D version be running on staggered tires?

Yes

https://www.facebook.com/teslamotors
... you can order the 85D with 19" wheels. However, you may be referring to the P85D. Like the P85+ that it replaces, the P85D was developed with the goal of maximum performance. The acceleration of the P85D depends on the grip and stability of the staggered Michelin 21" tires, and the unique chassis tuning has also been specifically developed around these tires. This is why we recommend 21" winter tires, too...

Have any 85D owners noticed anything regarding the tire wear, yet? I've only put about 3,200 miles on mine and I was wondering when I should start to consider rotating them. Also, I was wondering if there are any recommendations regarding alignment for the 85D, as well?

I have a little over 10,000 miles on my S85D and the service center said no rotation needed. Actually the front was very slightly more worn than the rears. I drive in range mode all the time. Not sure if that makes a difference with torque sleep. But very even wear so far.

I just passed 3k miles on my 85D. I am watching tire wear very closely. No measurable wear so far. I do not plan to rotate. It creates two different wear patterns on tires and as a result noticeably more tire noise. I will trade any additional tire mileage for less noise. Front :& back show no difference in wear.

My old P85 had the first rear tires blown at about 7k Miles. So at first I was happy that after 5 k miles on my p85D there was very little wear. Unfortunately news are not good. Rear tires wear MUCH better than with the standard P's but now all tires seem to wear even, meaning instead of two tires you have to replace 4. I am at 16k miles and I doubt I get more than 20k out of them. No rotation needed (which I could not do with staggered anyway).

From an audi club forum

- GT3 RS went through Michelin Cup Pilots (?) in 5500 miles. Surely it's not a function of my driving habits!"
- I get less than 10K on a set of tires. I'd kill for double that let alone 35K!

So I think 20k for a 0-60 3 second car we can't complain.

I have 15,000 miles on my 85D with the standard 19" Michelin tires. I just rotated them myself and measured the tread on each at the inside edge, outside edge and middle. I was pleased to find that there the tread wear on all the tires was very even... there was very little difference across any of the tires (at this point, all the measurements are about 6mm tread depth... +/- 0.5mm).

My P85 just got its first set of new tires at 31,000 miles. I don't "drive like grandma" either (no offence to any Tesla-totin' grandmas reading this, there could be quite a few)

A service tech once mentioned to me that the right rear tire engages its torque to the road a teeny bit earlier than the left rear tire, just due to the particular design of the mechanicals, which can result in the right rear having less tread than the left rear. They said that proper tire rotation would keep it under control.

I did have a flat tire at 7,500 miles and had to get a new one... but I don't think that changes my overall message, the tires can last a good while in some cases. (Michelin Primacy MXM4's)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, mspohr I totally agree that AWD will be better for tire wear. I look forward to getting an AWD Model S some day :)

My old P85 had the first rear tires blown at about 7k Miles. So at first I was happy that after 5 k miles on my p85D there was very little wear. Unfortunately news are not good. Rear tires wear MUCH better than with the standard P's but now all tires seem to wear even, meaning instead of two tires you have to replace 4. I am at 16k miles and I doubt I get more than 20k out of them. No rotation needed (which I could not do with staggered anyway).

From an audi club forum

- GT3 RS went through Michelin Cup Pilots (?) in 5500 miles. Surely it's not a function of my driving habits!"
- I get less than 10K on a set of tires. I'd kill for double that let alone 35K!

So I think 20k for a 0-60 3 second car we can't complain.

These cars probably also have a softer compound like the roadsters.
My roadster got a 'huge' 6000 Km (yeah not miles) out of my first set of rear last summer... so considering you're still faster than me by half-a-second on the 0-60... 20K sounds pretty good! :)