Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone now asks "Trust this computer" when plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, this started with the 1.67.xx versions of 6.0. It was not present in the 1.65.xx versions. Looks like the phone is seeing the USB connection as a computer instead of just a charger. The most annoying part is that it happens every time you plug in. When you select Trust it's not supposed to ask the next time you connect.

Do not expect hard wired Lightning-USB integration on your iPhone. Apple is getting away from this and essentially committed to Bluetooth. The latest iOS has been a real disaster for good BT integration. Basically my iPhone 6 sometimes links up, sometimes does not, will drop out, does not import recent calls into the S, etc, etc. iOS 8.1 is supposed to fix the BT mess.

The newest feature is something one sees when hooking up an iPhone to any computer. It is some sort of protection to prevent suspicious data transfer. Me, I have ordered some 'fast charge' adapters from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Plugable Power USB Universal Fast Charge-Only Adapter for for Android, Apple iOS, and Windows Devices - Universal Support for Apple iPhone (5s, 5c, 5, 4s, 4), iPad (Air, Mini, Retina), iPod, Samsung Galaxy S Tab Note, Google Nexus, Motorola Droid, HTC, Nokia, Dell Venue 8 Pro, and More.: Computers Accessories

Amazon.com: PortaPow Fast Charge Only USB Adapter for Apple iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, PS Vita, HTC One, Google Nexus, Other Fast Charging Devices: Electronics

(...thanks Nick for the hint in your recent 'News from the Frunk').

These will prevent any polling on the data lines. Therefore no message about a trusted device/computer. And theoretically also possible boost in charging current.

YMMV.

I used to get these every time I plugged in after the PC at work rebooted, but I never had them on the Tesla until the update last week.

It's pretty annoying to say the least. It should at least remember which computers it trusts...

- - - Updated - - -

Do not expect hard wired Lightning-USB integration on your iPhone. Apple is getting away from this and essentially committed to Bluetooth. The latest iOS has been a real disaster for good BT integration. Basically my iPhone 6 sometimes links up, sometimes does not, will drop out, does not import recent calls into the S, etc, etc. iOS 8.1 is supposed to fix the BT mess.
I don't see why they would move away from lighting/usb integration. It is currently in literally millions of cars.

And you have to plug in to charge, so there is still going to be a cable involved anyway...

I'm having this problem with iPhone 5 iOS 8.1 and Tesla 6-something.

Per an Apple tech note I reset "network connections" on the iPhone directly. It rebooted. On restart it needed confirmation to connect to the Mac on both sides, the Mac and directly on the iPhone. Am suspicious the iPhone keeps asking about the car because only half the transaction to "trust" is getting completed.

Resetting network on the iPhone also cleared all past WiFi history and passwords. Had to start those over again.

Admit I am using non-Apple Lightning cables in the car, and genuine Apple on the Mac. One aftermarket cable is sensitive to which side up (I have the right side marked), the other is not. "Trust" doesn't matter which.

I'm having this problem with iPhone 5 iOS 8.1 and Tesla 6-something.

Per an Apple tech note I reset "network connections" on the iPhone directly. It rebooted. On restart it needed confirmation to connect to the Mac on both sides, the Mac and directly on the iPhone. Am suspicious the iPhone keeps asking about the car because only half the transaction to "trust" is getting completed.

Resetting network on the iPhone also cleared all past WiFi history and passwords. Had to start those over again.

Admit I am using non-Apple Lightning cables in the car, and genuine Apple on the Mac. One aftermarket cable is sensitive to which side up (I have the right side marked), the other is not. "Trust" doesn't matter which.
This went away for me with iOS 8.1 and Tesla 6 (1.67.43) I now have 1.67.80 and it still works without the "trust" issue. IMO, the cable wouldn't make a difference.

I don't see why they would move away from lighting/usb integration. It is currently in literally millions of cars.
And you have to plug in to charge, so there is still going to be a cable involved anyway...
They're not. As you stated, the integration already supports millions of cars, and also as noted, you need it to charge. The audio functionality is already built into iOS software that controls the lightning port so the work is already complete. Further, CarPlay requires a Lightning port connection. If anything, the exact opposite of JPP's claim is true: they're putting their weight behind wired connections and letting Bluetooth languish.

This went away for me with iOS 8.1 and Tesla 6 (1.67.43) I now have 1.67.80 and it still works without the "trust" issue. IMO, the cable wouldn't make a difference.

I put a 2nd WiFi router in the house closer to the garage but only increased the signal strength in the car by 1 bar from 1 to 2. Time to move it into the garage. Maybe then I'll get a map update, and more frequent firmware updates.