Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated kitchen appliance anger parallels Model S update customer resentment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting and ongoing story about the Thermomix appliance here in Australia that was updated with no warning, customers are angry and the Australian Consumer and Competition Commission is getting involved.So its not just Model S customers who missed out on the Autopilot features who feel disappointed.Thermomix awarded a Choice Shonky for
IT WAS the product launch which sparked fury in kitchens across Australia and left consumers more than a little hot under the collar.But Thermomix has earned more than just consumer wrath and has now been handed a Choice Shonky Award for “shredding the public’s trust”.The awards, now in their ninth year, are based on nominations received from Choice members and staff and must meet one of nine criteria including failing a standard, a lack of transparency and false claims and promises.And while the super mixer ultimately performed well in product tests, the company behind the appliance sparked a massive consumer backlash last month over the “flawed launch” of its new Thermomix T5 model.Customers were left up in arms and took their complaints to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission after the new appliance was released unannounced.The new Thermomix version, which retails for a special introductory price of $1989, not only claimed to be “newer, bigger, better and more digitally advanced” than the version before (the TM31) but also features innovations such as a colour touchscreen and a guided cooking function. Oh and it features a handy recipe chip which remembers your meal preparation too.From November 1, the price will increase to $2089, according to the Thermomix website.The super super-high-tech food processor, combines 10 appliances into one unit and cannot only chop, but beat, mix, whip, grind, knead, mince, grate, juice, blend, heat, stir, steam and even weigh food.In other words it performs pretty much most cooking functions.But customers were left fuming at the lack of warning that a new model was coming onto the market — especially if they bought it in the days leading up to the newer model’s release.Customers were also angry that the TM31 model which retails for nearly $2000, cost around the same price.According to Choice, the company’s decision not to notify consumers of the imminent release its “first new model in seven years in a bid to keep spinning dough was nothing short of Shonky”.In September, the ACCC confirmed it had received complaints after the new version of the appliance was released unannounced. It said under Australian Consumer Law, businesses are prohibited from making false, misleading or deceptive representations.But in a statement given to news.com.au at the same time, Thermomix insisted the launch of the new model was conducted in line with “global brand compliance”.“The Australian launch of the Thermomix Model 5 on Saturday, 6 September was conducted in line with global brand compliance, in accordance with our distribution arrangements which did not allow for any pre-promotion of the new product,” it said.“We are deeply sorry that this has resulted in some of our very valuable customers feeling disappointed.”Angry customers launched a Change.org petition and even vented their frustrations on the Thermomix unhappy customers Facebook page.Choice said loyal customers lost hundreds of dollars overnight if they brought the older model prior to the T5 release and that this ‘Shonky’ broke the record for public nominations.It said while not every Shonky Award winner may be breaking laws or breaching regulations it believed that consumers deserved better products and services.Choice chief executive Alan Kirkland said Thermomix denied it was launching a new product right up until the launch.He said consumers were right to be outraged at feeling ripped off.“It just goes to show how consumers can go from raving about a product to ranting about one.”He added consumers should be offered refunds if they were wronged.Mr Kirkland said Choice had a record number of nominations this year and the risk of receiving a Shonky should encourage businesses to sharpen up their act and put consumers first.Either way the Thermomix and its nomination was being talked about on social media.

Last edited:
Another example... Apple unexpectedly announced iPad 4 only 6 months after iPad 3, breaking it's usual cycle of annual iPad updates. iPad 4 had a faster CPU and the new lightning connector.

- - - Updated - - -

And another example (though not sure if it caused too much uproar since Honda was quite open about it). 9th Generation Honda Civic debut in 2012. It had a significant MMC in 2013 due to poor sales of the 2012 model, which is a much earlier MMC than usual.

Interesting and ongoing story about the Thermomix appliance here in Australia that was updated with no warning, customers are angry and the Australian Consumer and Competition Commission is getting involved.So its not just Model S customers who missed out on the Autopilot features who feel disappointed.Thermomix awarded a Choice Shonky for
The article you quoted says this: "Choice chief executive Alan Kirkland said Thermomix denied it was launching a new product right up until the launch."

I don't think that's what Tesla did.

An iPad or an appliance is not quite on parallel with a $120,000 purchase.

But I agree, they have no obligation to pre-announce anything.

Telsa is a technology company.... technology changes much faster then many other industries.

And I don't think Tesla could afford to kill their P85 car sales to try to meet their expected number of car shipped by the end of the year. So I think they planned well, but didn't expect how much people would want the D. Perhaps a special P85 trade-in program would have helped.

-m

I can't believe that I'm the first to point out the obvious solution to this problem. DON'T BUY A $2000 MIXER!!!

I don't scrimp on kitchen appliances (or tools in general), but a $2000 mixer/food processor? Seriously?

I can't understand it myself, the car that you have is the car that you enjoyed the day before the D was released, every product that you buy will be superseded one day. Just buy everything with that expectation.
At least with Tesla you get rolling software updates.

We must separate those generally feeling bad about the onward march of technology (there are those with every product), from those who have made very recent purchases and are feeling slighted for missing out and/or not getting information in the delivery process to know on which side of the fence they will end up. These people may not even have had their Model S etc. These are a different group of people from those who have had their Model S for months or years.

Also, it is different to feel like missing out on D. It was public knowledge it was coming at some point and it is an optional purchase anyway - and its announcement and execution was pretty fair. People know about it, can mend orders or even refuse deliveries. But the standard addition of AutoPilot, basically a promise of self-driving car, silently to some cars and not others certainly is a different kind of dilemma that has left unhappy customers taking delivery in the unfortunate timeframe.

Doing something to mend those disappointed customer experiences in that small timeframe would, in my opinion, have been wise from Tesla.

p.s. This does not affect me. I'm not trying to get anything for myself.

If you tell people in one month that their product will be superseded:
- You will significantly limit orders for 1 month
- You will upset people who "just missed" the 1 month deadline
- People will still complain about the loss of value of $expensive_item$

You cannot make everyone happy.

... But the standard addition of AutoPilot, basically a promise of self-driving car, silently to some cars and not others certainly is a different kind of dilemma that has left unhappy customers taking delivery in the unfortunate timeframe...

Did they actually miss out on much? Because, as you say yourself, autopilot is still just a promise. The sensors are there, but the laws still prohibit autonomous driving so Tesla won't turn the system on. And it could take many years for those laws to change. So maybe they didn't miss out on much anyway.

Did they actually miss out on much? Because, as you say yourself, autopilot is still just a promise. The sensors are there, but the laws still prohibit autonomous driving so Tesla won't turn the system on. And it could take many years for those laws to change. So maybe they didn't miss out on much anyway.

The following are things that this allows that are available in other vehicles and are the type of things that Tesla has said they will be doing:

* Collision Avoidance (Emergency Braking)
* Blind Spot Warnings
* Adaptive Cruise Control
* Speed Limit Warnings (already active)
* Lane Departure Warnings (already active)
* Automated Lane Keeping (i.e. car keeps you in the lane on its own not just tells you that you went out)

I don't think any car can adjust speed based on speed limit signs or change lanes with just a turn signal, but I think those are just flashy demonstrations of something someone else doesn't have. If they can implement the flashy demonstrations, the above shouldn't be hard.

With other manufacturers shipping cars with those features, I don't see what legal impediment there is. Another note, this is all driver assistance features, not driverless cars. Driverless cars are the legal issue. I don't believe the current sensors are sufficient to do that and neither do a lot of other people.