Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

yellow charging ring w new update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems 6.17.xx brings the new yellow color when you first plug the car in. I just noticed it as well when I plugged the car in just now (updated yesterday to the latest update ), haven't seen it when 6.0 came last month.

I've had this off and on since I got my car with 5.14. I got 6.0 today and haven't seen it yet. I'm not convinced it's a change just with 6.0.

It's just my observation, it's the first time I see the yellow light for a brief second before it goes to Blue-->Green and I always wait until my car starts the charging process.
If there is someone visiting the SC soon, please ask if you don't forget, it will satisfy our curiosity.

I had it starting with 5.14, but it would stay yellow/orange for several seconds before turning green (sometimes it never turned green). Was updated to 6 and now it is yellow/orange only for a fraction of a second when plugging in the charger. SC verified issue but had no solution. Reported it to engineering but never got a reply.

The service center here in ATLANTA said it was normal and they tested it on all cars w latest update and all flashed yellowish orange before blue and green. They were notaware of it until I asked them about it when I got my car back on Tuesday.

I've tested it myself and the orange color alerts the user that the cable isn't plugged in properly. If you just push your cable in but not all the way, it'll sit orange until you push it in far enough to get it to latch then start the charging process.

I like it and think it's a good way to let new owners especially know they haven't properly plugged in. Also a good reminder to existing owners from time to time.

I think it's cool Tesla had the foresight to give the port the ability to even generate an orange color. Shows they were thinking ahead.

I've tested it myself and the orange color alerts the user that the cable isn't plugged in properly. If you just push your cable in but not all the way, it'll sit orange until you push it in far enough to get it to latch then start the charging process.

I like it and think it's a good way to let new owners especially know they haven't properly plugged in. Also a good reminder to existing owners from time to time.

I think it's cool Tesla had the foresight to give the port the ability to even generate an orange color. Shows they were thinking ahead.

Now the orange flashes momentarily every time, regardless of the adequacy of the connection.

Oh thank goodness! After one of the many 6ish updates I started seeing the orange flash and was a little concerned that maybe after a year and a half things were wearing out. Glad to know that's not the case!

Yellow is what it flashes or stays when the connector isn't pushed in all the way. Orange is the new green! At least for half a second.