Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to TMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I purchased my car I read this forum religiously soaking up the excitement of people who had a Tesla or were waiting.
The posts were full of expectations on their car being delivered or what would the next software update be or how fricking cool the car was to own.

Yes there was the healthy discussion and spreadsheets on what should or should not be on Tesla's list to upgrade (Name your car not being one of them) but I do not remember posts that tried to humiliate or degrade another member on a personal level . (Maybe I missed those)

I realize the hot topic now are the sensors and how some got them others did not, and I read with interest the conflicting points of view on the subject (and there are lots of em), but why are we now reduced to slagging others off on a personal level?
It's like American political ads, nothing about the issues at hand just what the other guy did or said and like those ads it gets repeated over and over.

We are all brothers and sisters out there cant we stop with the negative personal attacks just post your comments and respond in a civilized way?
Take a moment and think before you hit "Submit New Thread"

+1.

Was going to write something similar. I think a return to civility is in order... We can have differing points of view and still keep the discourse calm.

TMC and Tesla owners in general seem to represent a well-educated bunch in general. Let's not let the relative anonimity of internet forums change that.

Glad you posted this. I've noticed a distinct change in tenor of late. I find less of my procrastination time (as I call it) spent on the forum, or at least on topics that will conflagrate into insults and innuendo.

Tesla is both a company and a community. That doesn't mean we should all agree all of the time - that would suck - but we should all be respectful adults.

Yes, the D and auto-pilot happened.

Personally, I don't think the problem is with anyone who says they feel screwed because they just missed those things. That's a valid issue that, unfortunately, can't be undone. I truly feel bad for those folks. I think the problem comes with the people in the "just missed it" group who take it to the extreme and say -- no, who demand -- that Tesla owes them. Okay, it would be nice if Tesla acknowledge those unfortunate souls and Tesla made D acquisition easier (better trade values?), but some people are outright attacking Tesla's actions, and there are the devoted Tesla supporters who will vehemently defend Tesla to the end.

It's human nature. Both extremes are. Yes, we're all adults, but money and emotions can make people do atypical things. And there's plenty of both where Tesla is concerned.

Before I purchased my car I read this forum religiously soaking up the excitement of people who had a Tesla or were waiting.
The posts were full of expectations on their car being delivered or what would the next software update be or how fricking cool the car was to own.

Yes there was the healthy discussion and spreadsheets on what should or should not be on Tesla's list to upgrade (Name your car not being one of them) but I do not remember posts that tried to humiliate or degrade another member on a personal level . (Maybe I missed those)

I realize the hot topic now are the sensors and how some got them others did not, and I read with interest the conflicting points of view on the subject (and there are lots of em), but why are we now reduced to slagging others off on a personal level?
It's like American political ads, nothing about the issues at hand just what the other guy did or said and like those ads it gets repeated over and over.

We are all brothers and sisters out there cant we stop with the negative personal attacks just post your comments and respond in a civilized way?
I agree, let's get back to being civil. I can see everyone point of view but things happen and life goes on, post your point of view but do not let it get to a personnal level.

+1.

Was going to write something similar. I think a return to civility is in order... We can have differing points of view and still keep the discourse calm.

TMC and Tesla owners in general seem to represent a well-educated bunch in general. Let's not let the relative anonimity of internet forums change that.

I agree 100%. Tesla is still a new company and some think EVs in general may be on shaky ground. Rather than attacking Tesla for releasing improvements, we should be supporting each other and the idea of EVs. Let Tesla work with the very small percentage (hopefully) of owners/soon to be owners who are unhappy with the improvements.

I happen to be one of these "just missed" people. Based on all my readings before car delivery and after, these "demanders" are irking me.
I'm upset. There's no doubt about it. But the most I will ever do is sulk about it, or maybe vent in a post or two in the thread. But in no way do I think that I have some sort of "right" to a new car. I personally don't understand how people are able to justify this "right", but I think of it as: Hey, I bought the car with the feature set that I liked and chose and confirmed with. If I liked it back then, I'm still going to love the car now.

People assume that just because Tesla is special that the customer always deserve everything that there heart desires. But these are $$$ cars that we are talking about. Mercedes won't just sell you the 2013 S-Class and give you the 2014 S-Class for free just because they failed to tell you that they were already receiving the 2014 model. You can trade in your old one and buy the new one, but you can do the same with the Model S.

I think I've noticed that because most people on this forum loves Tesla (and who doesn't?), newer buyers and new forum readers like me tend to start conforming to the idea that Tesla is the almighty company of everything and that customers deserve anything that they ask for and Tesla gives it to them, but when the customers face a small issue and it doesn't get resolved the way that they want, they become infuriated. They fail to remember that it's even worse down at your local Joe's Dealership. Now, I'm not trying to say that Tesla shouldn't strive for the best customer service, but I think that people like the "demanders" need to think within reason of what is and is not doable for such a relatively small company.

On the other hand, I feel that the religious worshippers of Tesla (I don't mean this in a bad way) also need to understand the point of view of the disgruntled posters here. Having everyone gang up on a person (even though the OP maybe unreasonable) just makes everyone look bad, and in turn nothing from bad Tesla experiences will ever make it on the forum and new buyers like us will not be able to grasp a realistic expectation of what Tesla does.

Such a pity that the emotions hinder us from being rational and civil all the time, but thankfully the good posts/discussions outnumber the not-so-good ones.

- Your friendly Model S & TeslaMotorsClub newbie

+1

TMC has jumped the shark. Hopefully I'm wrong...

I suppose I am in the minority but I have enjoyed almost all the posts regarding the philosophy of introducing new features/models and customer service.
I say almost because there have been a few that were more mean spirited than edifying.
I have particularly enjoyed reading everything by bonnie and AnxietyRanger. A potentially stressful situation like this sometimes enables people to dig deep into their values and discover what's important to them. Even when some of the threads and posts are repetitive, I still enjoy a good hard look into disparate ways to look at the same situation.

Agreed. I understand being potentially upset about new feature releases due to Tesla's "release when ready" strategy. It is the same as someone mentioned buying the 2013 S-Class and being annoyed you could have waited for the 2014.

We have to keep in mind these new release scenarios will be more frequent and with little or no advance notice. This is different then the traditional model year release cycle and we need to get used to it. Having leasing available also helps being able to upgrade sooner.

I so enjoy the many discussions on the system here, let's get back to our regularly scheduled programming....

Thanks.

-m

Believe me when I say that no one gets more tired of the two extremes described in this thread than the mods. We do our best to enforce a civil discussion. If you see something over the line, please report it. I do believe at the core there is an interesting discussion about what Tesla could do to handle this sort of thing better. Participants should strive for objectivity and eschew knee-jerk reactions.

At any rate, it's been less than a week and this sort of thing dies down eventually... until the next controversy. (Does no one remember Cupholder-gate?)

Some of us remember the Roadster days fondly, when it was a smaller community and everyone was an early adopter type. But we all want to see Tesla grow and thrive, and evolution is inevitable. But civility is definitely something that should stay...

I think the Model D controversy is already starting to die down. No matter what your opinion on the matter, there is no reason to attack other forum members. We are still a relatively small community, and we should try to stick together. After all, we have plenty of external enemies, such as the car dealer associations, the TSLA stock-shorters, etc.

the mods can do a better job of keeping the conversation civil.

I don't believe it is the mods fault.

It just small, "it's about me", entitled, loud, rabid, incessant group of whiners that are conducting a full assault on this once gracious, idea/information gathering/sharing forum. The members that have been here a while (most longer than I) are just not going to let this new "element" overrun the TMC.

Last edited: