Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla, why now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife’s current car, a Honda Pilot is 7 years old and she expressed interest in getting a new vehicle. She prefers the safety provided by the sheer mass of a large vehicle and began researching options. What she came back with stunned me. All the technological advances in the last seven years have led to the creation of vehicles that averaged 3-4 FEWER MPG than my wife’s Pilot. Even a 2014 Pilot yields zero increase in efficiency.

I began to think about whether these companies were even trying, or if we have reached the pinnacle of what is possible for an ICE. But then I began to look at myself and ask whether I was trying either.

I knew what Tesla was doing but always brushed off the notion of buying one as a pipe dream. While impressed with the car the thought of spending that much money did not sit well with me. As the son of immigrants who worked hard just to put food on the table it seemed like a waste of money.

But as I began to think about it more I began to realize that the true waste would be to continue supporting companies and technologies that did not have any kind of vision for our future. All these new models were just prettier packages wrapping up the same inefficient engines, lipstick on pigs if you will. Some had very nice lipstick but at the end of the day the pig was still there.

A co-worker took me for a ride in his new M5 a few months ago and I sat in it with little sense of excitement. It was just another gas burning engine which, stripped of its leather and speakers and other luxuries, was no different really than my current 2009 Nissan Versa.

Tesla is a company that is trying. I am not going to say they are perfect. Yes they are quick but other cars are quick. They are refined but other companies do refined better. But what those other companies don’t have is a vision for what is possible and what we should be aiming for. They seek more lipstick while Tesla looks to do something better.

But no matter how noble the aspirations without people to support that vision Tesla may end up as an asterisk in a history book. That’s why last week I completed my order of the model S. The S60 I ordered is what many would consider the base model, but is still literally more money than I have spent on all my cars in the last 28 years I have driven combined (not including cars purchased for my wife). It is an extravagant expense, but one we can comfortably afford.

I am under no delusion that Tesla is some charitable organization. I understand that if the company becomes as successful as we all hope that people involved in the company are going to get very rich. But I believe that we can all benefit as well.

I am not a car guy. I will likely not be putting exotic paint protectors or fancy wheels on my Tesla, though I may allow my kids to come up with a name for it. To me a car is something to get me from point A to B in as safe a manner as possible and now my family can do it while helping to pave the way for something better. I have appreciated all the advice and stories though and I will probably share my delivery story to pay back the community here. Having said that, I will likely have the same stupid grin on my face as everyone else when I hit that pedal for the first time in December.

Did you test drive one before you bought it? It sounds like you didn't.

I took three test drives. One through the showroom in Houston and two through private dealers. I am the kind of person who researches the purchase of a $200 speaker for 2 months so a purchase like this did not come without extensive background work. I settled on the S60 after driving the S85 and P85+.

Congrats! Happy for your wife, though, I somehow believe she may have to bind and gag you to drive it.

Unfortunately she is still not sold on the idea. My plan is to have her drive it for a month and I hope that she will refuse to then go back to an ICE. That would of course leave me with my Nissan, but hopefully the Model 3 will come out and allow me to join the revolution as well. If she does not come around, well, I am sure I will be able to learn how to live with the Tesla as my daily driver, oh the humanity.

Thank you for the welcome as well.

Unfortunately she is still not sold on the idea. My plan is to have her drive it for a month and I hope that she will refuse to then go back to an ICE. That would of course leave me with my Nissan, but hopefully the Model 3 will come out and allow me to join the revolution as well. If she does not come around, well, I am sure I will be able to learn how to live with the Tesla as my daily driver, oh the humanity.

Thank you for the welcome as well.

this should be easy. my wife doesn't like driving the S because then it sucks to drive other cars

Your story is similar to mine...I hope you'll share it with her and maybe it will make both of you feel good about the purchase you just made...my husband and I bought a P85 11 months ago...10 months ago almost to the day we hit the build button and like you were awaiting our girl to come home to us...

we owned a 2006 Honda pilot..it had 160,000 ish miles on it when we sold it...(I've had my grin for so long I don't remember the exact figures anymore...but I know I postd my exact story right after buying my car) and we were tired of all the gas payments which was almost $1100 a month plus all the maintnce on an older vehicle...one thing I never did mention before was that I was in an accident in that pilot...we were rear ended the other car was going 40 when we hit us, I was turned around looking at my son who was in the middle row...he was fine, my husband was fine, but my back wasn't....I had to have surgery on my T4,5 and 6 in my spine. My car protected those I love but not me... So while you think about all the money you'll be spending on the tesla think about how safe of a car elon has built for and your family...it's a tank!!!

now about the $$ side of things...I spent $28,000 on the pilot brand new, $53,400 on gas approx and another $18,000 on maint so that $99,400. I think some of my figures are off. Like I said it's been awhile and I don't have all my exact figures in front of me, so the way I look at this car is that instead of paying for all that other stuff you would have paid as you go....you pay up front...but...you can never ever pay for safety...

youll both love your new S...and I'm sorry to say....once it's delivered you're never going to see it agian...my husband and I still fight over who is going to drive ours ever day...

Your delivery will take place at a great time for the "Island of Texas"! By the end of the year, the Supercharger network (if you opted for the activation) should be able to get you all the way to the non-Gulf Atlantic via I-10!

Check out the Texas section of the TMC forums.
Also, go check out the Tesla Owners of Texas FB page.

Welcome to the revolution!

The long term vision of Tesla influenced my decision to buy the car.

Nicely said. I almost replied in agreement, but then I realized that's not really fair portrayal of my feelings either. Not that I disagree with you or anything, but here's what I would say of my own feelings:

The current reality of Tesla influenced my decision to buy the car(s).

Whereas other manufacturers have some vague snakeoil pitches of alternate-fuel futures, Tesla is actually in that future today. I don't have to care about Tesla's long-term vision much, because they are actually shipping it already. That's, really, what is most impressive about Tesla - compared to all the other car manufacturers out there, none of which are shipping the EV thing anywhere near on the level that Tesla is. The fact that I have a car that can take me pretty much anywhere I normally go without ever visiting the tank again, without ever worrying about exhaust (starting/stopping engine) again, with more room than any car I've ever owned, faster than any very expensive car I've ever owned, in unprecedented smoothness and quietness.

Congrats to Notacarguy!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm with your wife! We still have an ICE as our second car and I hate it!

Ditto. I'm trying to find ways to get rid of it, but there is NOTHING on the market! What, buy some puny-range i3? I don't think so. A hybrid? You got to be kidding.

So I guess I'm stuck with the second ICE (we also have a third, but I'm selling that) until it can be replaced with a suitable EV some day - something like the S/X in range, but smaller size. Maybe it could be Model 3.

I have pondered about keeping the S when I get the X, but I fear the size just isn't right for our second-car needs. S/X are quite big cars.

Last edited:
I took three test drives. One through the showroom in Houston and two through private dealers. I am the kind of person who researches the purchase of a $200 speaker for 2 months so a purchase like this did not come without extensive background work. I settled on the S60 after driving the S85 and P85+.
Don't call it "settling". The S60 is still a fantastic car. Grats on the purchase, man.

Don't call it "settling". The S60 is still a fantastic car. Grats on the purchase, man.

True comment. It would be not accurate to say 'settle" at this price point. Decided is more accurate.

The current reality of Tesla influenced my decision to buy the car(s).

Whereas other manufacturers have some vague snakeoil pitches of alternate-fuel futures, Tesla is actually in that future today. I don't have to care about Tesla's long-term vision much, because they are actually shipping it already. That's, really, what is most impressive about Tesla - compared to all the other car manufacturers out there, none of which are shipping the EV thing anywhere near on the level that Tesla is.

Very true. I looked at a few alternatives but spending an hour on a Nissan Leaf discussion board and hearing people talk about problems trying to make 50 miles a day made me realize there was only one choice.

I think Tesla buyers are falling into 2 categories: luxury buyers who normally purchase comparably-priced cars, and buyers who are so excited about the Tesla product that they are paying much more than usual for a car. Sounds like you're in the second group, as am I. Congratulations and enjoy the car.

I think Tesla buyers are falling into 2 categories: luxury buyers who normally purchase comparably-priced cars, and buyers who are so excited about the Tesla product that they are paying much more than usual for a car. Sounds like you're in the second group, as am I. Congratulations and enjoy the car.

Fair observation. In a way that the Prius at one point attracted buyers in reverse - suddenly people buying much more expensive cars aspired to buy a Prius, while Prius also attracted buyers in its regular price range.

Not that the "luxury buyers" are very homogenous group either. There is a large range of incomes and reasons within that group as well, but I agree Tesla is much more diverse probably than Merc S people for example.

At this price point that is a good point. Decided would be a better word.

Whereas other manufacturers have some vague snakeoil pitches of alternate-fuel futures, Tesla is actually in that future today. I don't have to care about Tesla's long-term vision much, because they are actually shipping it already. That's, really, what is most impressive about Tesla - compared to all the other car manufacturers out there, none of which are shipping the EV thing anywhere near on the level that Tesla is. The fact that I have a car that can take me pretty much anywhere I normally go without ever visiting the tank again, without ever worrying about exhaust (starting/stopping engine) again, with more room than any car I've ever owned, faster than any very expensive car I've ever owned, in unprecedented smoothness and quietness.

Congrats to Notacarguy!

Fully agree. After spending an hour on a Nissan Leaf reading about strategies to make a 50 mile mile drive the Tesla was the only real option. It is a real world car that happens to be electric, not some compromised electric.

Congrats! This is one of the most sensible and sincere posts I have read here in a long time. Bravo!

I have driven the base S60 as a loaner, and was delighted to find that the driving experience is 90-95% the same as my Signature P85.

Remember, though, it is not a "stupid grin", it is a really really deeply satisfied WISE grin!! :wink:

Congrats on your purchase and thanks for your well written post!

i read a news article a couple of days ago which trumpeted that the average mpg of cars (manufactured or sold, I can't remember) in the US was 24! Pathetic! I think that you are correct in that major auto makers aren't trying. They're making compliance cars and a few small efficient cars for the small segment of the population that wants them.

I was was not much of a car guy either but I took the plunge and spent way more than I ever had for a car before and I've never regretted it.