Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendation: Please move the A/C Controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having had our Model S for 20 months, and with an X reservation, I would like to submit to tesla a request to move the A/C controls from the bottom to the top of the screen. If one needs to adjust the A/C or Heating controls when driving, it requires that you look way down from the road to the bottom of the screen to make changes. In older cars with a rotary knob, you could do this by "feel", but with the touch controls you have to actually look at them. And, with them at the bottom of the screen, it requires that you move your eyes far away from driving to locate where to tap. Having them at the top would seem to be safer.

Meh, I don't adjust the A/C often, so I like them at the bottom strip. I switch apps on the main screen far more often (usually between Nav and Energy at the top while keeping music at the bottom) so having the apps across the top works better for me.

I guess a good option would be to allow the user to customize the location of the app and a/c strips between the top and bottom rows. That strikes me as an easy solution...

Personally I like the existing setup.

I could envision an adjustable 'skin' where you can size and reposition all screens to your favorite layout. Then you store it under your user name and presto ... next time you enter the car the screen is configured to your liking.

OTOH this would not be a high priority project for Tesla. That means not in the stars for the next years.

The bottom of the screen is easier to reach. I think that's where commonly-used controls belong.

Agreed. The top of the screen is hard to reach. Very hard when driving. The bottom is closer and a better choice for these.

You can get the controls down by feel. I can turn on/off the seat heaters, change the temp, and cycle the system on/off without taking my eyes off the road. And that's without mapping anything to the steering wheel buttons. It's definitely possible.

Agreed. The top of the screen is hard to reach. Very hard when driving. The bottom is closer and a better choice for these.

If there were tactile spots on the bezel, you could feel where the screen buttons are. I'm surprised that no one has marketed a bezel cover that has these. It shouldn't be hard to make.

I set temperature to the right scroll wheel so I don't have to look down when changing it as long.

I guess I should do it that way :biggrin: I just forget to change the wheels.

- - - Updated - - -

Or you can set the right scroll wheel to control fan speed. I rarely change the temperature setting.

Agree - just like the temperatures, I don't use the scroll wheel features alot. My fault! :redface:

Thanks for reminding me of these....sometimes I just get in and enjoy driving it so much I forget about all the little extra neat features!!

I think we need a row of user-definable onscreen shortcut buttons across the bottom of the screen. There's a number of selections I use frequently and don't want to tap through all the menus each time to get there. Sunroof open/close. Doors lock/unlock. Air suspension heights. Open charge port door. Rear heated seats. Or whatever screen you want to be on there.

-m

You can actually buy little clear Braille-like stickers with bumps on them. I was thinking about using some before I found I didn't really need them.

My success rate with applying stickers and having them look correct is low (think rhinoceros in a knitting circle), so I was hoping for something that just snapped on (perhaps with an adhesive backing) so that it would look factory.

I think we need a row of user-definable onscreen shortcut buttons across the bottom of the screen. There's a number of selections I use frequently and don't want to tap through all the menus each time to get there. Sunroof open/close. Doors lock/unlock. Air suspension heights. Open charge port door. Rear heated seats. Or whatever screen you want to be on there.

I've mentioned this very thing in several threads over the past year and a half or so. Like a Favorites Bar. I would prefer it across the top, but maybe that could be configurable too.

From a UI perspective, there's a good reason why the controls are at the bottom and not the top. When using buttons at the top, your view of the screen is somewhat obstructed by your arm/hand. This makes it difficult to adjust controls with feedback. This explains:

a) why the adjustment controls are at the bottom (I like it that way) and
b) why the app buttons are at the top.

The app buttons do not require adjustment. Tap them and you're done with them.

I disagree. The HVAC controls are fine where they are. When you look at the screen to select a function, whether it is at the top or the bottom of the screen either way you have to take your eyes off the road for a moment. That is true in any car with controls in the center of the dash, and all cars have controls there.

Having had our Model S for 20 months, and with an X reservation, I would like to submit to tesla a request to move the A/C controls from the bottom to the top of the screen. If one needs to adjust the A/C or Heating controls when driving, it requires that you look way down from the road to the bottom of the screen to make changes. In older cars with a rotary knob, you could do this by "feel", but with the touch controls you have to actually look at them. And, with them at the bottom of the screen, it requires that you move your eyes far away from driving to locate where to tap. Having them at the top would seem to be safer.

I disagree. The HVAC controls are fine where they are. When you look at the screen to select a function, whether it is at the top or the bottom of the screen either way you have to take your eyes off the road for a moment. That is true in any car with controls in the center of the dash, and all cars have controls there.
To be fair, most cars have some tactile response. In my ICE I can change the fan settings, air vent selections, and so on strictly by feel when they're physical knobs and dials. Manufacturers are usually pretty good about making each feel different so you know which one you're fiddling with.

In the Model S I can adjust the temp and On/Off by feel, but I can't really adjust the blower speed, recirc, and vent direction like I can on my ICE.

I've noticed, since the mid-90's, some manufacturers (Ford/Lincoln) have put the climate controls on top and the radio on the bottom of the dash (the reverse of what it was prior). My interpretation of this is people touch the radio more frequently as climate control is largely automatic now and the lower position is closer to the resting position of the drivers arm. Mercedes has always had climate control above the radio for as long as I can remember. That being said, the radio and climate are on the bottom half of the screen, so I think it's not a big problem.

I do agree there needs to be some feedback that something has been pressed. Maybe it needs an audible click with different clicks for different "buttons", like a different pitch. I know I want one for the Control screen as it usually lags a little to open and I end up tapping it twice.

-m