Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85 now or S85 later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone

I am still yet to pick my MS this week or next week.

I decided to purchase a loaner car with 85kWh battery pack mainly to cut my cost and get some savings.

Now since after the unveiling of AWD and Autopilot features I am thinking should I defer my purchase of a loaner car?

I am not interested in AWD since I am in Texas but I am definitely interested in the autopilot features.

Advantages of getting S85 now:

a. Get to drive the car and enjoy it
b. Cheaper than S85 with autopilot features

Disadvantages of getting S85 now:

a. Losing the autopilot features and sensors and the hardware

Advantages of waiting for S85 is I get autopilot features but the price may be little higher and I am not sure if I will be getting same amount of savings with a loaner.

I am aware of CPO vehicles that Tesla might start doing some time next year. And yes like most of the S85 owners I would like to keep the car for 6-8 years.

My other option is to get S85 now and install after the market Mobileye.

Have not talked to Tesla yet but just wanted your input as well.

Thanks

That's a tough one. The S85D (according to Tesla) gets better mileage, so that's nice.
But if you don't care about the AWD, that's big, and it might not be worth the extra money, especially with untested new tech of their AWD and sensors.

Living in Indiana, I want AWD because of the occasional snow and plenty of rain.
Personally, IF YOU CAN, I'd wait to see what others thought of the S85D that they ordered. (several months down the road)
I know I know, it's tough. I didn't wait and wish I would have, as I probably would have gotten the P85D, instead of the S85 I have now because of AWD, speed... and maybe the upgradeable sensors.

But, for me, I'm waiting now to see what others who have already ordered the P85D, or S85D (in your case) think.
This time, i've decided not to upgrade because I believe there will be a 110kw with almost 400 mile range BY THE TIME the X comes out.
And that mileage will make it worthwhile to me to upgrade. For YOU, that's more than a year wait. So, my advice (again) wait for reviews of the S85D.
If you have to have now, get the regular S85. Personally, I want the sensors to be less noticeable than others have said they are... which makes the car less sleek (IMO)

However, I believe the resale value of the S85D will be much better if you plan to sell it ever! :)

Scott, he's not interested in AWD, just autopilot.

taurusking, I feel you. I want the autopilot too. I guess it depends on how much roadtripping you'll be doing, since the autopilot, as I understand it, is primarily useful on highways. Since we got our MS, we've been doing it a lot, the car lends itself to it, so it would be a great feature for me. If you're doing mostly local driving, then I would just get the loaner car you have lined up.

Trnsl8r

If I wait for 3-4 months I might get a S85D loaner..who knows how much savings I will get on it

If I wait for 6-9 months they might introduce a better battery pack like what Scott said.

So this is a car where technology is changing every 6 months or so

I get it ...but spending 70K ( after savings and tax credit) for a car which is already out dated ( due to lack of auto pilot features) feels like a big lump to swallow...

Trnsl8r

If I wait for 3-4 months I might get a S85D loaner..who knows how much savings I will get on it

If I wait for 6-9 months they might introduce a better battery pack like what Scott said.

So this is a car where technology is changing every 6 months or so

I get it ...but spending 70K ( after savings and tax credit) for a car which is already out dated ( due to lack of auto pilot features) feels like a big lump to swallow...

You'll have to wait much longer than that to get a S85D loaner. On the order page it says they won't start getting delivered until February. That may be late March in Tesla-speak. ;-) Who knows how much longer before they start selling D-loaners.

As for the "already out-dated", I'm afraid that's part of the game in the tech world. Things get updated quickly and your gadget is perpetually outdated. If you buy new, the amount of time before your car gets outdated is likely less than a year. Buying the loaner it's already outdated and you nip that one in the bud. :) I don't know the equipment level on the loaner you have lined up, but $70k for an 85 with some extra goodies sounds like a good deal to me.

My advice would be to focus on your original question. How much is the autopilot feature worth to you?

Scott, he's not interested in AWD, just autopilot.
Yea, that's why I said, "But if you don't care about the AWD, that's big, and it might not be worth the extra money,"

That's a "big" reason not to get the D version.
However, whether you want it or not, it is a determining factor if and when it ever comes to resale.

I'd go for the regular 85 given the amount of money you can save on a barely used one.

Hi Everyone

I am still yet to pick my MS this week or next week.

I decided to purchase a loaner car with 85kWh battery pack mainly to cut my cost and get some savings.

Now since after the unveiling of AWD and Autopilot features I am thinking should I defer my purchase of a loaner car?

I am not interested in AWD since I am in Texas but I am definitely interested in the autopilot features.

Advantages of getting S85 now:

a. Get to drive the car and enjoy it
b. Cheaper than S85 with autopilot features

Disadvantages of getting S85 now:

a. Losing the autopilot features and sensors and the hardware

Advantages of waiting for S85 is I get autopilot features but the price may be little higher and I am not sure if I will be getting same amount of savings with a loaner.

I am aware of CPO vehicles that Tesla might start doing some time next year. And yes like most of the S85 owners I would like to keep the car for 6-8 years.

My other option is to get S85 now and install after the market Mobileye.

Have not talked to Tesla yet but just wanted your input as well.

Thanks

I'd suggest waiting for the car you really want, but also keeping an eye out for a deal that's too good to pass up. Prior to the "D" announcement, a local craigslist search for Tesla yielded a single Model S (a 60 kWh from an owner who recently upgraded to an 85 kWh). After the "D" announcement, there are nine: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/cto?query=tesla (two 40 kWh, one 60 kWh, three P85s, and three P85+'s). If you're patient, you can probably get a much better deal for one of these than for a loaner car from Tesla (and perhaps have a bit of an adventure getting the car from wherever it is to where you live). And if you can't find an amazing deal, you will end up getting a brand new car that's exactly what you want. Anyway, that's what I would do if I in the market for a Model S right now. But right I'm perfectly happy with my current S85 and future plans are to add a Model 3 to the family rather than trading up to a newer Model S.

I'd suggest waiting for the car you really want, but also keeping an eye out for a deal that's too good to pass up. Prior to the "D" announcement, a local craigslist search for Tesla yielded a single Model S (a 60 kWh from an owner who recently upgraded to an 85 kWh). After the "D" announcement, there are nine: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/cto?query=tesla (two 40 kWh, one 60 kWh, three P85s, and three P85+'s). If you're patient, you can probably get a much better deal for one of these than for a loaner car from Tesla (and perhaps have a bit of an adventure getting the car from wherever it is to where you live). And if you can't find an amazing deal, you will end up getting a brand new car that's exactly what you want. Anyway, that's what I would do if I in the market for a Model S right now. But right I'm perfectly happy with my current S85 and future plans are to add a Model 3 to the family rather than trading up to a newer Model S.

You are right ....I can get better deal from Craigslist or someone who is willing to sell their car to get new S85D or P85D.. but I thought there is better warranty ( bumper to bumper) from Tesla than from previous owner???

I reviewed the link that you had sent me... All of them listed there are more expensive than what I am about to pay Tesla

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, that's why I said, "But if you don't care about the AWD, that's big, and it might not be worth the extra money,"

That's a "big" reason not to get the D version.
However, whether you want it or not, it is a determining factor if and when it ever comes to resale.

I'd go for the regular 85 given the amount of money you can save on a barely used one.

I don't want to sell MS for 6-7 years at least so I think I will stick with my regular S 85 and plus autopilot features feel great but not worth waiting another 6-8 months

If you buy used, you lose $7,500 tax credit, which you probably lose if you get a loaner as well.

There "might" be some S85 cars WITH Autopilot coming down the production line that are abandoned in favor of D, I'd ask your sales team to do a search. Apparently from my salesperson a LOT of people canceled S85 orders for S85D orders. Not all of those cars were in production, but I am sure some of them are. They would come with Autopilot sensors and $7,500 tax credits. If you are not looking for AWD I bet they'd LOVE to sell you a car right now with all the tech and RWD. Just make sure you get the full new Tech package with full Autopilot capability.

If you are looking to buy and keep, I'd recommend the latest version, which is with Autopilot +/- AWD based on your tastes and $.

If you buy used, you lose $7,500 tax credit, which you probably lose if you get a loaner as well.

There "might" be some S85 cars WITH Autopilot coming down the production line that are abandoned in favor of D, I'd ask your sales team to do a search. Apparently from my salesperson a LOT of people canceled S85 orders for S85D orders. Not all of those cars were in production, but I am sure some of them are. They would come with Autopilot sensors and $7,500 tax credits. If you are not looking for AWD I bet they'd LOVE to sell you a car right now with all the tech and RWD. Just make sure you get the full new Tech package with full Autopilot capability.

If you are looking to buy and keep, I'd recommend the latest version, which is with Autopilot +/- AWD based on your tastes and $.

Incorrect - you still get the $7,500 tax credit with a loaner vehicle.

There "might" be some S85 cars WITH Autopilot coming down the production line that are abandoned in favor of D, I'd ask your sales team to do a search. Apparently from my salesperson a LOT of people canceled S85 orders for S85D orders. Not all of those cars were in production, but I am sure some of them are. They would come with Autopilot sensors and $7,500 tax credits. I .

Not true...all loaner cars come with a tax credit because they are considered single owner cars as far as I know

Second part good suggestion and I will definitely ask Tesla about it...

You are right ....I can get better deal from Craigslist or someone who is willing to sell their car to get new S85D or P85D.. but I thought there is better warranty ( bumper to bumper) from Tesla than from previous owner???

I reviewed the link that you had sent me... All of them listed there are more expensive than what I am about to pay Tesla

- - - Updated - - -

I don't want to sell MS for 6-7 years at least so I think I will stick with my regular S 85 and plus autopilot features feel great but not worth waiting another 6-8 months

I'm pretty sure the original warranty stays with the car when it is sold and I don't think Tesla boosts the warranty when you buy a loaner car so at least from a warranty point of view, a private purchase should be equivalent to a Tesla loaner purchase.

After recently selling our last remaining gasoline powered car on craigslist, I can assure you that most cars actually sell for well below the asking price. The asking price is often boosted simply to leave room for negotiation. If you find a car you like, just email or call the owner, tell them what you're going to pay for the Tesla loaner, and see if they are willing to make you a better deal when the $7,500 tax credit for the loaner is taken into account. You can also propose a deal you would be happy with and let them think about it for a while. Things you want to sell are only worth what someone else is willing to pay for them.

And I only posted a link to the results of a craigslist search of the SF bay area. Here are couple of listings closer to where you are from: http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4683090665.html http://austin.craigslist.org/ctd/4705315598.html Typing "Tesla Model S" in searchcraigslist.org should get you all the listing in one giant batch: All of Craigslist Maybe some of these even have the autopilot features and are being sold by someone upgrading to a P85D.

Of course doing this will be much more of a hassle than simply buying the loaner or an inventory car directly from Tesla. It all depends on your tolerance for such things.

According to the order page, non-D cars have AutoPilot with the Tech Package. (FYI also states AutoPilot HARDWARE comes standard on all Model S--may have to get the Tech Package to enable the hardware)

So I imagine there will be non-D loaners with the Tech Package (w/AutoPilot) at some point.

If you really want autopilot, I'd find one that has the hardware in it already or buy a new non-D car with it.

-m

Not true...all loaner cars come with a tax credit because they are considered single owner cars as far as I know

Second part good suggestion and I will definitely ask Tesla about it...

Awesome about loaners still getting tax credit! I know with early Volts sometimes the dealer registered the cars in their name and in doing such voided the credit for the customer. In my experience the TM loaners I have seen on the road get dealer or manufacturer plates. Just make sure! I would imagine if there was a car registered previously they'd have to take the $7,500 off the sales price for you.