Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quieter cabin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla press release/blog post also mentions among improvements is a quieter cabin. Do you know what this means, when it will roll out or what models it will apply to? Trying to gauge when to pull the trigger on an order.

If they can only get rid of the tire noise. That's about all I hear in the cabin.

And when you floor it, all you hear is the squeals and "Whoa"s.

The car is pretty quiet, but I guess some marshmallow pads here and there might help.

All just speculation at this point. From my perspective the biggest noise is the tire noise on the freeway. More sound deadening material should fix that. I would assume all Model S would get the same sound deadening once they roll it out.

I Have a recent delivery. Car is the quietest I have ever been in. Not sure just how much you can reduce the tire noise without adding weight and bulk. On nice smooth roads my wife and I can whisper to each other at 65 mph. On rougher roads the sound level is higher, but still better than my ICE that I recently sold.

I Have a recent delivery. Car is the quietest I have ever been in. Not sure just how much you can reduce the tire noise without adding weight and bulk. On nice smooth roads my wife and I can whisper to each other at 65 mph. On rougher roads the sound level is higher, but still better than my ICE that I recently sold.

Have to agree with this. There's some recently repaved interstate in my area. I've been muting the stereo to listen to the silence. Girlfriend laughs at me muting the music every time we get to these sections.

Unfortunately mine is an earlier car and is not particularly quiet on the freeway. In fact it is louder than just about any other car I've been in at those speeds. There is no wind noise, just the constant drone of the tires. Doesn't matter what the road surface type is either. There, of course, is no engine roar when you floor it to pass, and it is stealthily quite in, for instance, a parking lot but unfortunately about 80% of my driving is on the freeway at freeway speeds. I don't believe there's anything "wrong" with it other than maybe it could have used better sound insulation.

Unfortunately mine is an earlier car and is not particularly quiet on the freeway. In fact it is louder than just about any other car I've been in at those speeds. There is no wind noise, just the constant drone of the tires. Doesn't matter what the road surface type is either. There, of course, is no engine roar when you floor it to pass, and it is stealthily quite in, for instance, a parking lot but unfortunately about 80% of my driving is on the freeway at freeway speeds. I don't believe there's anything "wrong" with it other than maybe it could have used better sound insulation.
My was delivered in November 2013 and the road noise is very noticeable. That and the wind noise are my only real disappointments with the car. It is not where near as quite as other luxury cars.

I will take it to Ed & Al for dynamatting at some point, but it's not cheap and they need to car for a while.

Tesla said that there will be additional sound deadening around the wheel wells. Since I have a sig and don't like too many aftermarket changes as they increase the risk of rattles down the road I am planning to change my 21 inch tires to a quieter type when I replace them. Tires make a huge difference for road noise.

I have an early Signature VIN and switched to 19"/Primacy tires for winter. A newly paved stretch of road to/from my house is so quiet when driving its unreal. Yes I would like better noise suppression/deadening but what we need is more new pavement! :smile:

I picked up VIN55228 and drove it 150 miles home today. Though this new car has coils and 245/40R20s vs. air and 245/45R19s on my (now deceased) VIN1653, the car is certainly quieter. I'll comment on this in more detail in my VIN1653 vs. VIN55228 thread which I'll be starting soon...

Sure sounds like this is rolling out... I'd recommend searching for aftermarket folks who do sound deadening rather than waiting for a TM retrofit. I can't imagine it being more $ than what Tesla would do.

How about the other mentioned items? Anyone have larger visors?

How about the other mentioned items? Anyone have larger visors?

My car finished production about 7 or 8 days ago:

Seat comfort improvements and taller headrests for whiplash protection: yes, I think I have this.
Improvements for a quieter cabin: yes, I think so. Need some more time in the saddle to be sure.
Wider rear door opening: need to check.
Electrically opening, self-closing charge port door on Dual Motor Model S (delivered with Dual Motor Model S): I wish I had a D (cue another onslaught of 'D' jokes in 3...2...1...)
Increased visor size and larger vanity mirror: the visor is slightly different than my early vin, but not larger. IMHO if you think the visor is too small, consider raising your seat height. I've never had issues and I'm an (average?) 5'11" in height.
Parcel shelf and front trunk cargo net now standard: yep, I got 'em for free.
Air ionizer and carbon filter for cabin air purity: yep, got it.
Updated steering column control module: yep, now shipping!
Updates to Alcantara interior trim, such as wrapped roof bow and top pad: yep, got em and it looks nice!

Tires usually get louder as they get more miles on them. I have 19's with just about 10k miles and they are louder then when new. Some of that is to be expected.

I do look forward to improved sound deadening from tire noise. Hope it can retrofit or figure out how they did it and do it myself with Dynamat or similar.

-m

Tires usually get louder as they get more miles on them. I have 19's with just about 10k miles and they are louder then when new. Some of that is to be expected.

Agreed, but what I'm getting is ridiculous. As it happens, I'm on my second set of Goodyear RS-A's on my other car,and it never got as loud as my Model S currently is. My Model S tires are about half way to the wear bars (still lots of tread life). I've actually had back seat passengers complain about the noise.

Post pictures of the seats.

OK, I finally took the time to look at this a little closer. (Delivery day yesterday was busy!). I just went out to the garage to snap a pic of the seats/headrests but determined that I can't physically see a difference in the headrests. They might be very slightly taller, but on looking at them closer I don't really see a difference. So scratch the headrest thing.

The seat comfort thing is subjective (no visual difference) so can't attest to that per se. I've always been decently comfortable in the seats.