Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Model S upgraded from 416hp to 470hp but 0-60 mph rate still the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched, but did not find any related discussion. Last week Tesla bumped the horse power on the P85 Model S from 416hp to 470hp (rear wheel drive). This is a significant improvement, why is the acceleration rate still the same (0-60 in 4.2 sec)? Am I missing something?

Dunno. Can't wait to see the first P85 (non-D) take it to a track and have it timed. It's very possible it is better. The old stock P85 416hp has already been verified by multiple independent people to be 3.9s 0-60, better than the stated 4.2. It's possible that the 470hp might take that to 3.8 or 3.7 and the only reason Tesla isn't advertising that is that the extra $15k for the P85D is only a 0.5s improvement instead of the "full 1.0second" which in reality it's not 1.0s improvement anyway. The P85D is at most 0.7 seconds faster than the original 416hp version and against likely at most 0.5 or 0.6s faster than the 470hp P85 non-dual motor version. I don't find the value in the P85D at all anymore. None of the options are included anymore and $20-$30k more cannot be justified practically.

Where are you getting these figures?

12.3s for the original 416hp has been video'd/youtubed many many times on drag strips and a few on these forums frequently track their old P85s and have posted their official result printouts across these forums. just search YouTube or TMC for this stuff, here is just one: real world all models 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times

11.8s for the P85D I believe was said somewhere during the announcement and has been printed in many news articles now, but obviously hasn't been video'd/youtubed/independently verified yet.

Dunno. Can't wait to see the first P85 (non-D) take it to a track and have it timed. It's very possible it is better. The old stock P85 416hp has already been verified by multiple independent people to be 3.9s 0-60, better than the stated 4.2. It's possible that the 470hp might take that to 3.8 or 3.7 and the only reason Tesla isn't advertising that is that the extra $15k for the P85D is only a 0.5s improvement instead of the "full 1.0second" which in reality it's not 1.0s improvement anyway. The P85D is at most 0.7 seconds faster than the original 416hp version and against likely at most 0.5 or 0.6s faster than the 470hp P85 non-dual motor version. I don't find the value in the P85D at all anymore. None of the options are included anymore and $20-$30k more cannot be justified practically.

sounds like you're trying to convince yourself not to get a P85D.

because you are saying the current P85 in fact is a 3.9 car, not a 4.2 as Tesla officially claims. and you extend that benefit of the doubt to the new P85, assuming that 54 more horsepower will result in a faster time, possibly 3.7 or 3.8.

But then you take Tesla at their word on the 3.2 seconds for the P85D. even tho there is lots of speculation that under ideal conditions, it might be closer to 3.0 (or lower).

you've also ignored the possibility that the 470hp number was the real number all along for the P85, and the are now simply acknowledging it.

all that said, I'm upgrading from a 2013 P85 to a P85D because it's a better car in almost every aspect than mine - acceleration, top speed, handling, traction, efficiency, braking, safety, ergonomics (seats), and technology. you might not find any value in that "at all", but me and most of the automotive world think it's an incredible bargain and (for my financial situation anyway) definitely worth the cost to upgrade.

Chuck

Didn't a few folks dino the P85 and it the horsepower to the wheels was closer to 440? Maybe the 416 was the min horsepower and the 470 is the max rating of the motor. There may be no change.

I suspect this is the correct answer. I believe the previous ratings from Tesla have been conservative all along.

Plug the numbers in to a 0-60 calculator, and in order to even get a 4.2sec 0-60 time you need more than 416 HP... the new 470 rating is much more reasonable. And that's not even accounting for the cars down in the ~3.9sec range...

Heh heh.
Please notify me when the vehicle is Perfect, with All The Possible Bells & Whistles ever imaginable, so I can hold off my purchase until that day (at which point, of course, my 2014 creakysqueakly P85 will have a used vehicle value of what? $0.37? :)

I don't think anything has changed with the P85. The 416 hp rating was way low-balled. Dyno tests showed about 430 hp at the wheels. So 470 hp at the motor sounds about right as there will be losses going through the reduction gear and u-joints.

It's not just the HP rating for the P85 that changed. It's went up across the product line.

60 was 302, now 380.
85 was 362, now 380.
P85 was 416, now 470.

I do notice that the web site lists it as "motor power", so they may be listing the motor rating, rather than the actual power output.

This is from an old thread on the tesla motors forum:

2) Motor specs (from Tesla website)
Power:
S60: 285 kW - S85: 285 kW - P85: 350 kW (WITHOUT taking battery into account = theoritic)
S60: 225 kW - S85: 270 kW - P85: 310 kW (power WITH battery taken into account = realistic)
Torque:
S60: 440 Nm - S85: 440 Nm - P85: 600 Nm

http://www.teslamotors.com/nl_NL/forum/forums/where-does-extra-acceleration-come-85p85-vs-60?page=1

I think it is still the same motor. They only used different figures. The figures without battery.

I seem to recall the battery really being the limiting factor; I've seen the dreaded yellow line on my P85 a lot ~half-way down the track even with a full-ish battery. I have a 'B' pack... seems they've found a way to increase the power output of the packs since now even the 60s are rated to ~386HP.