Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

looking for suggestions for paint / chip protection on gravel roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering a trip where a couple of the legs are on gravel roads -- good condition ones, but gravel nonetheless. Does anyone have suggestions or experience with any of the temporary protection products? I'm not crazy about the idea of doing anything permanent, but if I'm going to knowingly drive 50 miles of unpaved roads, I wouldn't mind having a little bit of armor...

The 3m paint protector is awesome. It's a spray on product. It dries absolutely transparent and peels off later if need be. The armor all equivalent is crap, it bubbles and works horribly.
3M Paint Defender Spray Film with synthetic wax - Sprayable Paint Protection Film, 90000 - 3M Auto

Sorry, but I have 3M on my hood, whole hood. It is plastic film. It is glued on. I have not had bubbles, wrinkles, or any problems. I have had one instance where a "friend" closed my hood for me while wearing leather gloves just used to move concrete blocks: Huge deep scratches. Hot water and wax made them disappear. Many stone chips and scrapes, some almost clear through the plastic, finally made me decide to replace the hood PPF last week, after two years. It still made the hood look like glass.

I have never heard of the spray on stuff. Wonder how it lasts.

You can get 3M PPF installed poorly. As my dad used to say, "you get what you pay for -- if you're careful".

The only area that I would recommend getting ppf applied to other than the hood and front fascia is the area just in front of the rear wheel wells, which get pitted on icy sanded roads. I have had no other damage from driving on bad roads but these areas.

Xpel ultimate. I'm sort of shocked that people will pay $100k for their cars and then not protect them. I have my full car protected. I daily drive. Up and down a gravel road and can attest that it's daily protecting my car....

This.

About broke my heart when I got a chip the same day I got it back from putting XPEL Ultimate on. It was really nasty. Last Friday had the installer remove it and replace the film. No damage to the paint, car looks just like it did new again.

Talked about that experience in this thread:
Already Got a Rock Strike

Yes it's pricey, but I'm a firm believer in this stuff now.

I'm considering a trip where a couple of the legs are on gravel roads -- good condition ones, but gravel nonetheless. Does anyone have suggestions or experience with any of the temporary protection products? I'm not crazy about the idea of doing anything permanent, but if I'm going to knowingly drive 50 miles of unpaved roads, I wouldn't mind having a little bit of armor...

If you don't want something semi-permanent like the xpel or suntek ppf, get trac wrap.

Guys use it at autox. It's like a thick roll of seran wrap and you put it on and take it off. You could put a few pieces over each other for your 50 miles of driving, then remove it.

Don't bother with the 3M spray can stuff...t won't work for this application.

If you don't want something semi-permanent like the xpel or suntek ppf, get trac wrap.

Guys use it at autox. It's like a thick roll of seran wrap and you put it on and take it off. You could put a few pieces over each other for your 50 miles of driving, then remove it. I don't know about other tesla owners but all these paint options look fabulous they might put it in action soon?

Don't bother with the 3M spray can stuff...t won't work for this application.
We should have a sunset color and signature red back. A while ago teslarati found these colors at the design studio.
Tesla-New-Colors-Palette-1-300x274.jpg
Tesla-New-Colors-Palette-3-224x300.jpg
Tesla-New-Colors-Palette-2-224x300.jpg