Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster trunk latches problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tennis_trs

2010 2.0 Roadster Sport
Aug 25, 2009
I thought I'd seen a similar issue in a thread here before, years ago, but searched and couldn't find it, so:

8 days ago my trunk stopped opening. I think it made the usual clicking noises the first couple tries, but then the clicks stopped happening. Same results with a key or with the button in the car. When I tried it again hours later I think I first got a click or two, but then no clicks.

I quit trying to open the trunk after a day or two and tried it again last night after getting home from work. The button in the car and double push of the button on the key worked for a while but both stopped working after I used them several times.

Has anyone else seen anything like this before? If so, do you know what the problem was and the fix? Does it make sense that the buttons seemed to work for several pushes after the initial failure, but then went back to the failure mode?

I have an email into Tesla service and they have responded, but they are probably a little busy, so I figured some owners may have had this happen before.

I removed that trapped in the truck device, yellow tab thing (kept getting snagged on stuff). And once removed pushed that cable back in pretty far. Doing that prevented my trunk from opening like you're mentioning. Clicks happen then stop. Was thinking I had to pull the wheels/liner off to get access to the latch, then kept pressing the inside button again really fast and it finally popped. After that I pulled the trap cable inside the trunk out a bit and that fixed my issue. Key didn't do anything, key felt like it was gong to break. Remote wasn't good either with results.

trunk

I thought I'd seen a similar issue in a thread here before, years ago, but searched and couldn't find it, so:

8 days ago my trunk stopped opening. I think it made the usual clicking noises the first couple tries, but then the clicks stopped happening. Same results with a key or with the button in the car. When I tried it again hours later I think I first got a click or two, but then no clicks.

I quit trying to open the trunk after a day or two and tried it again last night after getting home from work. The button in the car and double push of the button on the key worked for a while but both stopped working after I used them several times.

Has anyone else seen anything like this before? If so, do you know what the problem was and the fix? Does it make sense that the buttons seemed to work for several pushes after the initial failure, but then went back to the failure mode?

I have an email into Tesla service and they have responded, but they are probably a little busy, so I figured some owners may have had this happen before.

Yes, every year or so, my trunk starts getting finicky to open. It usually finally opens. Sometimes I need to push down on it a couple of times, and usually it opens if I hand turn the lock with the key. I always have Tesla look at it the next time it is in, and they fix it. It just never stays fixed, and after its most recent visit to the shop, it didn't make it 2 months before it started acting up again. Still pretty rare that it makes me work at it, but the fact it has failed to open and just "clicked" back at me on a couple of occasions is still frustrating. I wonder if any Lotus have this sort of problem?

David

Yes, every year or so, my trunk starts getting finicky to open. It usually finally opens. Sometimes I need to push down on it a couple of times, and usually it opens if I hand turn the lock with the key. I always have Tesla look at it the next time it is in, and they fix it. It just never stays fixed, and after its most recent visit to the shop, it didn't make it 2 months before it started acting up again. Still pretty rare that it makes me work at it, but the fact it has failed to open and just "clicked" back at me on a couple of occasions is still frustrating. I wonder if any Lotus have this sort of problem?

David

My experience is pretty much the same as David's. It's always much worse in the winter. I've replaced 3 actuators and it never helped. Then Tesla started "lubricating" the cables. That was a really bad idea. We live on a dirt road in the summer and the lubricated cable became a magnet for dust, and salt in the winter. They finally replaced the cables and stopped lubricating them and it's lasted longer than ever before. You also have to make sure the latches are aligned properly, which is tricky.

I posted a similar issue a month ago and the fix was a new actuator in the trunk

Thanks. I assume you mean:

Ah, you are correct sir. Here's what the details are:
Hood latches come as a set and cost $50.37
The lift gate actuator is $24.42

I didn't find that with my search before starting this thread and just found it now based on looking at your posts.
Maybe a moderator should combine these threads, but it would need renamed since the previous thread started talking about the hood (front) latching and eventually talked about both trunk (rear) and hood (front) latching and actually talked more about the trunk.

Trunk actuator two times.................both taken care of by Tesla Service. First one wouldn't keep trunk closed on drivers side then second one took two or three button pushes to open....... then just failed.
Service was great and new one good for six months so far.

Actually now that I think about it the first time they replaced the "latch". Tha'ts what is on the service ticket then second episode was the 'actuator"......... just checked service records to verify my accuracy.

Last edited:
Maybe this is obvious but have you tried pushing down while releasing the trunk? It lessens the load on the release latches and allows them to open with less force required... Just my .02

My experience is exactly the same...pushing down on one side and using the remote is SOP sometimes...

David

I also have had good results when the trunk had become stuck due to my overpacking methods at times. In that case I found pushing down on a corner then using the key to unlock the trunk to work. The remote and inside push-buttong just dot the clickity-click.

As for the cables, I can see those things gumming up pretty bad if traditional lubrication was used. Sounds like a good idea to relieve stress off the actuator. If I was going to do that, I just may, I'd use a Teflon based lubricant like Tri-Flow. I also bought from a bicycle shop a clamp that mounts at the top of the cable assembly which aids in pushing the spray down through the cable assembly.