Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st World Problems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cdub

OG 2011 Leaf / 2023 Model Y LR
Oct 7, 2014
Glendale, CA
So let me get this straight...

You're fortunate enough to be able to buy an $80k-140k luxury automobile and the manufacturer announces a new product and then you complain that what you bought a week or a month ago is not the newest and greatest?

Really?

Really?

People... you own a freaking Tesla! The car is still amazing.

Is this some insane case of keeping up with the Jones's next door? There will ALWAYS be something better.

And frankly... if you can afford to buy an $80-$120k vehicle then you can afford to take the loss and trade up to the newest model if that is really what you want to do.

And if that is a big loss that you cannot afford to make then frankly you couldn't afford the Tesla to begin with and be happy with what you have.

If you cashed out your 401k and are stretching to the max to afford the month car payment.... then you couldn't afford the Tesla. (I know people who have cashed out their 401k for one - that is idiotic)

And I say this as someone who cannot afford a Tesla. I own a Nissan Leaf free and clear and one day I will pay for a Tesla in cash but today is not that day.

If you're stretching yourself financially to own one you need to take a step back and reevaluate. If Tesla announcing a new car with new features that isn't in yours makes you whine and complain then you need to reevaluate.

It's a car people. A spectacularly awesome car... but still ... it remains just a car.

Rant over.

Agreed. I could afford my Model S when I bought it in June. I can also afford to sell it and upgrade. However, I choose not to as my car is awesome. I bought it with the intent to drive it for 8-10 years and with full understanding that it will sooner or later be obsolete compared to upcoming Tesla products.

Same here. I may have to take ~$10K~20K extra loss if I sell my $125K P85+ to buy the P85D but I'm not going to whine like an angry little child because I missed the better toy. Either way I'm still better off than most people in this world and I'm really happy with the car I got.

Agreed. I could afford my Model S when I bought it in June. I can also afford to sell it and upgrade. However, I choose not to as my car is awesome. I bought it with the intent to drive it for 8-10 years and with full understanding that it will sooner or later be obsolete compared to upcoming Tesla products.

Same here. However, that original intent of 8 - 10 years may be cut short once I see the the sensors and AWD in action. To me, it's a good thing that new goodies have come along that may be a "must have" for me.

Right. The new bells and whistles are nice but they are also $16K more than I paid for my Model S and I've had 1.5 years of great driving. Basically, it's a high-tech item which means that if you can buy it, it's already obsolete.

The problem Tesla faces is that old fashioned cars haven't changed significantly since 1955 when disk brakes were first installed on the ID/DS, so people are used to thinking that a car is a car and only the accessories (radio, lights, sheet metal, etc.) change from year to year, whereas Tesla changes the entire paradigm with significant improvements to the drive train and efficiency.

+100
i don't want to give mine up, even if for a better one.
And for those who want to trade up, that's great - it puts more affordable good used electric cars on the road.
I can't wait to trade in my Prius for a model 3 with all these cool, debugged features :)

I agree with your statements - mostly. I think that part of why the group is reacting this way is due to the personal monetary impact and secondarily due to the fact that we are not used to seeing car-evolution like this in this industry. I could be wrong, but my opinion of the legacy car brands is that they typically announce a slight change in the exterior design and some minor, small incremental feature upgrades. What we are seeing with Tesla is the opposite: The outside looks exactly the same, but the car just got updated to "Model S 2.0". I think we have to get used to looking at buying a Model S exactly like buying a flat screen tv at Best Buy - you buy one that you like and you keep it until it is so outdated after 3, 4, 5 or 6 years depending on personal preference that we feel like it's worth it to sell the old one for pennies and upgrade to the latest model that costs the same, but is twice as big, half as thin, 4 times the resolution, etc.

Thanks,
Lars

Who bought this car thinking improvements wouldn't be made? I bought before power folding mirrors, parking sensors, etc. I figured those would be added to newer versions, didn't care enough to wait. I don't regret my decision, nor do I blame Tesla for not telling me they were going to add those things. Sheesh.

Who bought this car thinking improvements wouldn't be made? I bought before power folding mirrors, parking sensors, etc. I figured those would be added to newer versions, didn't care enough to wait. I don't regret my decision, nor do I blame Tesla for not telling me they were going to add those things. Sheesh.

Nobody's even mentioned yet the A to B battery swap that happened with no public mentioning and the early A battery packs limited to 90kWh supercharging....add that to the list of continuous unannounced improvements that people felt that they got screwed on. Oh the "sig tax" ppl too with their prototype parts and misaligned panels and gaps lol

So let me get this straight...

You're fortunate enough to be able to buy an $80k-140k luxury automobile and the manufacturer announces a new product and then you complain that what you bought a week or a month ago is not the newest and greatest?

Really?

Really?

People... you own a freaking Tesla! The car is still amazing.

Is this some insane case of keeping up with the Jones's next door? There will ALWAYS be something better.

And frankly... if you can afford to buy an $80-$120k vehicle then you can afford to take the loss and trade up to the newest model if that is really what you want to do.

And if that is a big loss that you cannot afford to make then frankly you couldn't afford the Tesla to begin with and be happy with what you have.

If you cashed out your 401k and are stretching to the max to afford the month car payment.... then you couldn't afford the Tesla. (I know people who have cashed out their 401k for one - that is idiotic)

And I say this as someone who cannot afford a Tesla. I own a Nissan Leaf free and clear and one day I will pay for a Tesla in cash but today is not that day.

If you're stretching yourself financially to own one you need to take a step back and reevaluate. If Tesla announcing a new car with new features that isn't in yours makes you whine and complain then you need to reevaluate.

It's a car people. A spectacularly awesome car... but still ... it remains just a car.

Rant over.
Pretty much sums up what I have been thinking the last few days. That was a good post.

Tesla, just keep building amazing cars.