Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S owner here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up 85kWh Model S on September 27 here in SoCal. Had ordered the grey color but that was discontinued and I got the new grey metallic paint instead. It is very dark but I like it a lot. Got the tech package and parking sensors with piano black decor.

So far, I love it. So fun to drive and everyone who gets in it says it is the coolest thing they have seen. I had a few questions/comments and wanted to get some experts opinions on them. Apologize in advance for any newbie questions.

1) My town home only has 60AMPS coming into it. The electrician wasn't sure what he could do to install anything more than what I am using right now, the 110 wall plug that only charges at 4 miles per hour. He is coming out again and will try to give me some more options. So far it isn't a big deal, I don't usually drive more than 50 miles a day.

2) My city (Hermosa Beach) has an nrg eVgo charging station. It is supposed to be a fast charger, but the fast ones are not compatible with Tesla. They have a slower charger station there as well that apparently will charge a Tesla. I have not set up an account yet, but wanted to see if others have used them and what they thought.

3) I ended up bringing my car into the service station in Torrance today. I was getting some static in the left front speaker when listening to the radio (any station, internet or not). Then in my Tesla loaner I was getting the same thing when I put my new Samsung phone in that little compartment below the screen. Seems like my phone is causing some sort of interference.

4) Since I have the tech package, I now have the lane change and speed limit warnings. Does that mean I have all of the hardware needed for the future driverless features? I asked the tech today at the service station and it was hard to get a straight answer.

5) I didn't realize how bad the cabin storage situation was. I was looking at buying the Tesla center console or a 3rd party console. I just want a place for change and stuff like that. What have people used that they like?

6) Have people purchased the rolling Tesla duffel for the trunk and box for the "fronk"? They look cool and fit perfectly in those spots.

7) Also noticed that my turn signal and gear selector are different than the model I test drove and the loaner I am using now. I really like the newer version (maybe because I have been driving it for two weeks and am used to it).

8) My headliner default was tan. They now have a black option (I am not even sure if that option was around when I ordered mine). My wife was concerned that the interior is black and the headliner is tan. But the loaner I got is set up the same way. Is that the "normal" setup and what do you think about that combination?

Overall, I just love it. Slowly trying to learn more and become an expert user/owner and look forward to learning more here on the TMC forums.

Tell your electrician to stop being a wuss and have him install a NEMA 14-30 connection (30 amp), and buy the NEMA 14-30 adapter. That'll give you plenty of charge at night (set charge to start at midnight).

For cabin storage, I found a nice little tote bag with side pockets that fits perfectly underneath the cubby all the way to the front. I just had to hack off the handles.

5) I didn't realize how bad the cabin storage situation was. I was looking at buying the Tesla center console or a 3rd party console. I just want a place for change and stuff like that. What have people used that they like?

Before you buy the console try living without it for a few weeks. It feels strange at first but after a while you get used to (and appreciate) having all of the open space and you may find that you don't need or want the storage there. Also don't forget about the small pocket in front of the driver's seat... that and the little shelf under the main console are really all I find that I need...

I picked up 85kWh Model S on September 27 here in SoCal. Had ordered the grey color but that was discontinued and I got the new grey metallic paint instead. It is very dark but I like it a lot. Got the tech package and parking sensors with piano black decor.

So far, I love it. So fun to drive and everyone who gets in it says it is the coolest thing they have seen. I had a few questions/comments and wanted to get some experts opinions on them. Apologize in advance for any newbie questions.

1) My town home only has 60AMPS coming into it. The electrician wasn't sure what he could do to install anything more than what I am using right now, the 110 wall plug that only charges at 4 miles per hour. He is coming out again and will try to give me some more options. So far it isn't a big deal, I don't usually drive more than 50 miles a day.

2) My city (Hermosa Beach) has an nrg eVgo charging station. It is supposed to be a fast charger, but the fast ones are not compatible with Tesla. They have a slower charger station there as well that apparently will charge a Tesla. I have not set up an account yet, but wanted to see if others have used them and what they thought.

3) I ended up bringing my car into the service station in Torrance today. I was getting some static in the left front speaker when listening to the radio (any station, internet or not). Then in my Tesla loaner I was getting the same thing when I put my new Samsung phone in that little compartment below the screen. Seems like my phone is causing some sort of interference.

4) Since I have the tech package, I now have the lane change and speed limit warnings. Does that mean I have all of the hardware needed for the future driverless features? I asked the tech today at the service station and it was hard to get a straight answer.

6) Have people purchased the rolling Tesla duffel for the trunk and box for the "fronk"? They look cool and fit perfectly in those spots.

7) Also noticed that my turn signal and gear selector are different than the model I test drove and the loaner I am using now. I really like the newer version (maybe because I have been driving it for two weeks and am used to it).

8) My headliner default was tan. They now have a black option (I am not even sure if that option was around when I ordered mine). My wife was concerned that the interior is black and the headliner is tan. But the loaner I got is set up the same way. Is that the "normal" setup and what do you think about that combination?

Overall, I just love it. Slowly trying to learn more and become an expert user/owner and look forward to learning more here on the TMC forums.
5). Cabin storage isn't "bad", it's just not what you're used to. Many people like the uncluttered look. There are two storage places you may not be aware of-- there is a pouch on the front of the drivers seat that is a good place for a parking or charging cards. If you need to keep change in the car the cubby in the door handle is good for that. It has a rubber bottom. Some people put their phone there. The space under the 17" screen is good for a glasses case. Think about all the things we used to keep in cars and don't anymore and you'll understand the lack of storage compartments-- Change? Most toll roads are electronically billed, no change used. Maps? No need now with GPS. CDs or tapes? Nothing to play them in, all music is from internet or USB key.

1) Cosmacelf is right, that a 14-30 (dryer outlet) should be fine. I'd get another opinion from a different electrician.

2) Assuming it's a ChaDeMo fast charger, this will only be a problem until the Adapter comes out.

3) The cubby isn't a good place for a cellphone. Get one of the holders that's available.

4) No one is yet up to speed on what's actually included.

5) There are many threads on this. So far I haven't bothered using any of the products (1.5 years over 30K miles)

6) A lot of folks have, but I keep finding something else to buy rather than those items.

7) Tesla changed the selectors, mainly because they are Mercedes selectors and Mercedes changed them.

8) The black option is very recent. The lighter colour does make the car feel a bit more open.

Welcome to Tesla ownership HermosaRyan. Any sort of 240V higher Amperage service will work fine. See if the power company will give you a bigger feed? Perhaps there are local (Hermosa) subsidies for installing a charging station.

240V/30A will cover a lot of folks. I drive between 80-100 miles daily (depending on traffic and the route I take) and use a 30A supply at home (older J1772 EVSE) for the Model S, even though I have three NEMA 14-50s installed around the house (then again, I have a 200A feed from SCE in Long Beach).

Thanks for all the responses. My loaner had that pouch on the drivers seat, but my actual car does not. Weird, would they have removed that pouch in the newer cars?

I picked up that "Frunk" box organizer today as well. I couldn't resist when they had one in stock at the service center. Will let you know how I like it when I fill it up and put it in there.

Before you buy the console try living without it for a few weeks. It feels strange at first but after a while you get used to (and appreciate) having all of the open space and you may find that you don't need or want the storage there. Also don't forget about the small pocket in front of the driver's seat... that and the little shelf under the main console are really all I find that I need...

+1
I thought I was going to get the centre console right away when I got my car in April. But I lived with the open space for 2 weeks, and decided that I like it, and never did get the centre console.

I took delivery of my s85 a few days after you. I looked at the build site almost everyday an I was waiting for delivery. The day I saw the black headliner I called my DS and they made it happen.

OK so black headliner wasn't available when you ordered? I don't remember seeing it but that doesn't mean I just didn't miss it. Do you like the black headliner look (being all black inside)?