Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon, please don't give up on us.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CarlK

Mar 23, 2013
SF Bay Area
Please don't even think about I'm not going to deal with you silly people and I'm going to quite this and go do something else. It's just a small vocal group of people who are blinded by greed and entitlement mentality. Most the rest of us are grateful that Tesla can continue to improve the already best product in the market. Thank you, Elon and the entire Tesla crew, for your great job that benefits everyone of us.

EDIT: yobigd20 said "ditto. can we start a petition to thank Tesla and see how many signatures that one gets? lol"

You can just make your opinion known in this thread. Let's not let the vocal few who say Tesla should do this or that for "us" dominate the entire forum. They are not us. What is worse than bad guys is good guys keep silence.

Let me say this too. It will make me the happiest man on earth if Tesla would buy my six months old P85+ back so I can buy a P85D but I don't think they have do that and I don't have justification to demand it either. People can feel bad about what happened but ultimately it's the buyer who made the decision and clicked the buy button.

Last edited:
Indeed!

My Model S is one year old now and it has 51.000km on the odo-meter. I don't have all the new features. Do I care? NO! Would I buy a AWD if I bought a Model S now? YES!

But I'm just very, very, very happy with my Model S. I already have the Tesla-grin for a year. AWD can't beat that.

What is this, worship?

Elon is great, but come on. He's a big man. He can take criticism too. We don't need to be his apologists.

We do him a favour by pushing and challenging, not being a bunch of yes people.

There have been apologists all along, especially with respect to the lack of these features. Countless people posted about how ACC and lane departure warning were bad features that would take the fun out of driving and keep people from paying attention. Perhaps these people should criticize Musk for adding what they think the car was better off without.

Please don't even think about I'm not going to deal with you silly people and I'm going to quite this and go do something else. It's just a small vocal group of people who are blinded by greed and entitlement mentality. Most the rest of us are grateful that Tesla can continue to improve the already best product in the market. Thank you, Elon and the entire Tesla crew, for your great job that benefits everyone of us.

Blinded by greed? Do you know what deep feeling of dedication and support you are trashing on here with your assumptions?

Are you talking about those people who let TM borrow 25K USD for many years, interest free and with no guarantees, waiting for up to 5 years (like Hong Kong, where deliveries are lagging USA by two years)?

The main issue is that with these new awesome options, the P85D is not much more expensive than the P85+

If TM had increased the price a bit more, the P85+ wouldn't have taken such a big instant depreciation, while it would have secured even more funding for R&D for even more cool options and gadgetry.

Losing 30K overnight, for some people who faithfully supported TM from back when it was still in critical condition, delays upon delays for the HK RHD market - and by finally getting delivery, the car takes such a big blow. The only saving grace is lack of capacity, so that second hand price might be somewhat upheld by sheer excess demand and instant gratification desires.

Yes, I heard the "I don't have the folding mirrors" and similar. You guys had your cars for 2 years or so, in HK, we had to wait for July 2014 for the very first early mover to (finally) get their cars. We have been reading with envy how you had the cars long before us, just because Hong Kong was governed by the UK - and we drive on the wrong side of the road (duh!)

I can understand you think these people are spoiled brat whiners, but try to put yourself in their shoes. Seeing tens of thousands of cars being delivered in the USA and other markets, while waiting for the RHD. Lack of information, white lies from TM, delay, delay, delay. And when it finally comes, it is ... outdated right after. Even cars that have been produced but are on the way to Hong Kong - customers waiting to take delivery of an outdated product - hence many that didn't take delivery yet, are refusing delivery now.

I am not one of those, and I love my car to bits, I am just trying to speak up about giving the early movers some credit. We are not talking about those that ordered three months ago, but those that were in it before 99.9% of HK even knew what Tesla Motors was about.

Of any owner, I am about one of the most enthusiastic I believe. I try to "sell" this car left and right. I made "posters" I place in the wind screen every time I park, as I know people will come and look at the car, wondering what it is. I promote it in the company I work for, amongst friends, defend the "it's running on coal" propaganda and all that. For sure I could be called a fanboy - yet I think this is forgetting about who supported TM from way back.

Tesla Motors rock! It's a revolution coming, although mainstream doesn't realise this fully - yet - but I guess it's slowly sinking in. Of course TM should keep innovating, it's not about that. Try to see it from either side, both "camps" here are "right" in each their sense.

It is not an "attack" on TM, yet that is how it seems to be perceived by some.

It is not a ridiculing of the brand, or criticism of innovation, on the contrary. As for someone like me, I don't have the money for this car, yet I stretched it out and got a 5 year loan, 100% finance, because I must get this car, TM must succeed and I am going to be a part of that revolution, even if I owe up to over the roof of this car. And my post is not about me as much as it is the Signature P85+ supporters.

I hope you understand the emotion behind this. It's not just some spoiled brats whining, it's justified. I think TM agrees and I know they are considering their options.

Go on and make fun of it, there are deep feelings of betrayal here. If you read further than just headlines, maybe you would understand ...

Well said, everyone.
We all know when we buy something techy and undergoing massive innovation that we're not going to have the very latest widget - for long.

This is a great business model, but people have to realize what it is: Put money into research to sell an expensive product.
Take money earned from selling that product to build and sell more of less-expensive product, and keep innovating.
Rinse, repeat.

Keep going, Tesla. I'm not going to expect anything but your proven support for the hardware product I bought in good faith.
Software upgrades were part of that purchase, though. ;)

I couldn't agree more with the jest of this thread, however, DITB makes a valid point with this quote: "If*TM had increased the price a bit more, the P85+ wouldn't have taken such a big instant depreciation, while it would have secured even*more funding for R&D*for even more cool options and gadgetry.".

I couldn't agree more with the jest of this thread, however, DITB makes a valid point with this quote: "If*TM had increased the price a bit more, the P85+ wouldn't have taken such a big instant depreciation, while it would have secured even*more funding for R&D*for even more cool options and gadgetry.".

Better/faster/cheaper is how high-tech works. Everyone has talked about how the next generation of batteries will have more range for the same or lower price as the current batteries. How many times has the Model S been compared to an iPad on wheels? They just didn't make the mental leap that an iPad on wheels would have similar characteristics.

Yes, a higher price of the P85+ - that is all it would have taken to make everyone happy, including stock holders, existing customers, Tesla Motors and - well maybe not those in the market for the P85D.

Because RHD cars (understandably) had so low priority, Hong Kong got the cars 2 years later than the USA and many other markets. Initial estimates were winter 2013/14. Delays, delays and more delays pushed the first Signature delivery all the way to July 23, 2014, where the 8 first cars were delivered to Hong Kong. Being so late into HK, despite so many years of faithfully waiting providing free loans to TM - the P85+ is undercut by the P85D.

I got a straight 85, so I will probably be OK, and I only lend TM 5K USD, not 25K. The most faithful and helpful customers, those that moved earliest and got the most expensive cars - are the ones screwed the most. I can understand they are upset.

Go on and have a laugh about it if you like. If you think it is whining and even greedy as I saw someone post - then you probably don't want​ to understand it.

I REALLY admire Elon and love what he does and obviously love Tesla Motors... but this is too much. You guys remind me of how some 3rd world citizens worship their dictators. At least, this is how it starts.
I also hate for Tesla Motors to become another Apple (and have similar fanboys)!

Completely agree with the OP. And let's agree that no one "lost $30k overnight..." because new models were released. You paid what you paid for your car, it's still sitting in your garage and you will only take a loss if you decide to sell - your choice. And btw - that's true for any car purchase.

thanks,
Lars

I agree Tesla is a great company. That's why I bought a gorgeous S85.
I don't agree with the slavish praise or the condescension of other forum members who disagree with your point of view.
I also believe Elon is one who would prefer hearing what a personally truly feels, whether it's positive OR negative.
And he certainly doesn't believe in attempting to silence those who don't 100% fall at his feet by calling people "silly", saying they are in the minority or have an "entitlement mentality."

Remember, Elon would never have brought us the Model S, or any of his other great accomplishments had he not pushed himself and others.
As another leader of his time once said: "I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses," Johannes Kepler.