Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Interior only available in black? Tan option no longer available :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We want to finalize our P85D order and though we could select a tan interior when we looked at the configuration options earlier, now the option to select the interior color is missing. Instead we see a black interior with no way to change it along with a notice:

"Model S Dual Motor Performance will receive Tesla’s next generation seat, reengineered for comfort and lateral support."

We have requested a call back from Tesla to hopefully get this figured out but it is puzzling that the interior color choice is missing from the online design interface. You may have seen my ramblings about the low profile tires but we can at least fix that by buying a set of 19" regular profile tires :biggrin: We absolutely don't want a black interior though and it's not something we can fix after we take delivery of the car.

Has anyone finalized their P85D with a lighter colored interior or submitted your order for a P85D when earlier you could select a tan interior? It's strange the interior color choice is missing. We'd take tan or a light gray... Basically anything but black as we prefer the open/airy feeling of a lighter colored interior and it also help keeps the interior pristine.

Tan is the coolest interior color... and it's the one they use in a lot of their promotional shots (if you look very closely). I have no idea why they would have removed it.
I have a silver/tan and I've never seen another color combo I liked better.

Tan is the coolest interior color... and it's the one they use in a lot of their promotional shots (if you look very closely). I have no idea why they would have removed it.

I obviously agree! That is the exact color combination we want. Silver exterior and a tan interior. I know black is really popular but I can't imagine buying a Model S with a black interior. I like how open and airy the interior feels with a tan interior and the pano roof letting in lots of light during the daytime. And at night tan reflects ambient light in the cabin very nicely creating a great ambience all around you. With black you can hardly see any of the beautiful interior details of the car but tan brings out all the details nicely. I never realized how brilliant and beautiful the Model S interior is until I sat in a Model S with a tan interior. As much as I like tan, I'd settle for a light grey interior but definitely not black.

I have been trying to reach Tesla for the last few days to finalize our order but still no response. They must be quite busy! I still find it really surprising that for their highest end model they'd limit the interior color to only black :(

Please PLEASE do not buy this car if you want something other than black. We don't need owners coming back in 6 months demanding a retrofit when additional colors are offered. Please just wait. I don't think this forum can take more of that. LOL!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: That's hilarious! Rest assured we are grownups when it comes to purchasing cars. We do our research and buy what we want so you won't see me on this forum after buying the car demanding Tesla retrofit the car in a newly offered interior color! We waited 2.5 years to place our order because we absolutely wanted AWD and I'm sure you've seen my disappointed ramblings about the low profile tires but at least we can fix that on our own and it's just a matter ofa few thousand $s.

The tan interior is a must though and hopefully when we talk to Tesla they will allow us to finalize our order with a tan interior. Otherwise we'll just wait until they offer the car with a tan interior. We've waited 2.5 years so we are good at waiting for what we want :) I'm starting to think this D rollout was not well thought out beyond how exciting it is -- and though it is quite exciting how could they assume everyone is happy with a black interior? Both me and my husband absolutely can't stand black interiors because all the interior details just get lost in there and we can't tell if anything gets dirty.

I'm thinking they are rushing a few P85Ds out by December and they all have black interiors to keep things simple but we'd gladly do a February delivery with the tan interior we want and wish there was an option for that. I'll report back on this after we talk to Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

It simply sounds like the P85D might not work for you with the options (rims and leather color) you want.

Well, the rims are easy enough to fix. We can either purchase 19" regular profile tires and sell the 21s or I bet we can find someone in the NY area who would like to exchange their pristine 19" wheels for a set of pristine 21" wheels, as apparently the 21" wheels are quite desirable for some... :rolleyes: So the wheels are no longer an issue as they can become someone else's problem.

The interior is a whole different story and it's not something we can fix easily after acquiring the car. Why won't they allow you to customize the interior color of the highest end Model S they sell?! Did the ghost of Henry Ford take over Tesla?

"You can have a P85D in any interior color you want as long as it's black" :)

Last edited:
"You can have a P85D in any interior color you want as long as it's black" :)

It looks like the quote is actually, "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black." Henry Ford - Wikiquote

At any rate, I do not want a black interior, but do want a P85D. I will wait for some color choices for the interior of the P85D, if they don't come immediately. I would really like to have the car in December, but can wait for a tan or similar choice.

Please PLEASE do not buy this car if you want something other than black. We don't need owners coming back in 6 months demanding a retrofit when additional colors are offered. Please just wait. I don't think this forum can take more of that. LOL!

Don't worry about it. I'm sure Tesla has learned the lesson and will not add any other colors in the future. In fact the Model S in 2020 will be exactly the same as we have today and every owner will be happy forever.

It looks like the quote is actually, "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black." Henry Ford - Wikiquote

At any rate, I do not want a black interior, but do want a P85D. I will wait for some color choices for the interior of the P85D, if they don't come immediately. I would really like to have the car in December, but can wait for a tan or similar choice.

I'll update this thread as soon as I have official information from Tesla about the interior color choices and would appreciate it if you do the same. I still have not received a call back from them but I may visit the local Tesla store to see what's going on with not being able to select a tan interior. Like you, we'd gladly wait a few months to get a lighter colored interior.

- - - Updated - - -

I love it with a black interior but personal preference. I do hope they expand the options. Likely they are restricting options during the rollout like the Sig series then will expand.

I too figured they might be restricting the interior color to just one for the initial rollout but I have to say I appreciate your sentiment in understanding different people have different preferences and supporting that :) I was afraid someone was going to yell at me saying "It is a freaking space ship. Who cares if the interior is black and not what you want" :) Even if it is for a February delivery I hope they would just let us finalize the order with a tan interior so this is all done.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't worry about it. I'm sure Tesla has learned the lesson and will not add any other colors in the future. In fact the Model S in 2020 will be exactly the same as we have today and every owner will be happy forever.

Honestly Carl, I think they can avoid most of these issues by just announcing new features 3 months ahead. It allows people already in the pipeline the option to switch if they so choose and others who have already taken delivery of their car can sell the car back to Tesla and tesla should just charge them an "acquisition fee" along with a depreciation schedule based on time and mileage.

Honestly Carl, I think they can avoid most of these issues by just announcing new features 3 months ahead. It allows people already in the pipeline the option to switch if they so choose and others who have already taken delivery of their car can sell the car back to Tesla and tesla should just charge them an "acquisition fee" along with a depreciation schedule based on time and mileage.

Then why you think they are not doing it? Because it's not as straightfoward as it sounds. As for your second suggustion isn't that already available?

I too was surprised and dismayed by the solo choice.
I have never chosen a Black interior when there was an option, mostly due to the summer heat in Georgia.
However, seeing a few photos of the new seating (way more attractive and supportive) and knowing that the car can easily be pre cooled made it easier to order for me.
And much as I enjoy micro managing each decision on every option on the car, I have to admit there was a sense of relaxation in not having to decide on the Interior color!

I too was surprised and dismayed by the solo choice.
I have never chosen a Black interior when there was an option, mostly due to the summer heat in Georgia.
However, seeing a few photos of the new seating (way more attractive and supportive) and knowing that the car can easily be pre cooled made it easier to order for me.
And much as I enjoy micro managing each decision on every option on the car, I have to admit there was a sense of relaxation in not having to decide on the Interior color!

We prefer a light interior purely for the aesthetics of it and the fact that it reflects light and allows interior design details to be more visible. My husband calls black interiors "black holes" because you can't discern all the little interior details and everything just meld into one blob. At night ambient light makes a tan interior glow softly with warm indirect light and during the day time it really opens up the interior. We can't imagine going with a black interior though we know some really like the look. Wish we were as easy going as you are...

Glad you are most likely going to get your P85D before us :) Congrats on your personal rollercoaster! Hopefully we can confirm ours soon with a tan or other light interior when we get our callback.

Patn - in case you read this. Could you post a picture of your color combo? I was test driving this week-end with the wife and she decided (that's not my decision) on silver/gray because she was afraid the tan interior would clash with the silver exterior.

Thanks,
Lars

If they do this then they'll have a 3 month lull of no orders and that's very bad for this company since they don't use the dealership model. They are a built-to-order model and need a steady stream of orders. They can't have 3 months of no orders/no deliveries. That would hurt them pretty bad. Same goes for the year by year model. Of they used that then again nobody would be placing orders the last 4-5 months they'd just wait. The random continuous improvement model with no advance notice of changes is the best practice they can use at the moment.

I asked about the black interior on Saturday when I was considering changing to the D. I was told black was the only interior color and deliveries of the D would not start until February. My P+ is being built now as I ordered it back in July. The only change is the addition of the Autopilot features. Full autopliot activation will be sometime in the future with a software upgrade. I ordered tech pkg plus pkng and fog that are included in the improved tech package now. So I guess I paid $500 more and will have to pay another $500 again when activation is available.

I had a P+, black perf seats, CF dash and Black headliner on order (was to have been delivered this week) :) Switched over to the P85D... so for me the black is exactly what I wanted :) Too bad I won't be getting the red piping though.

On another thread somewhere, someone commented that the lack of options may be due to what Tesla is currently able to source (in terms of seat production) and as time passes the colour options will become available. Heres to hoping it works out for everyone else who wants a different colour!

I had a P+, black perf seats, CF dash and Black headliner on order (was to have been delivered this week) :) Switched over to the P85D... so for me the black is exactly what I wanted :) Too bad I won't be getting the red piping though.

On another thread somewhere, someone commented that the lack of options may be due to what Tesla is currently able to source (in terms of seat production) and as time passes the colour options will become available. Heres to hoping it works out for everyone else who wants a different colour!

For sure, this is the case. The fancy new seats are probably only going to be available initially in black. Once the new supplier ramps up in the other colors, they will become available.