Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon, show us the Q - quad-motor AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla successfully tackled the Dual motor AWD system. Any bets that they have a quad-motor prototype hiding somewhere in R&D?? Could four-wheel torque vectoring provide even MORE efficiency? Rimac's technology surely has gotten Tesla's attention. Maybe not for the Model S but perhaps for the next Roadster?

Tesla successfully tackled the Dual motor AWD system. Any bets that they have a quad-motor prototype hiding somewhere in R&D?? Could four-wheel torque vectoring provide even MORE efficiency? Rimac's technology surely has gotten Tesla's attention. Maybe not for the Model S but perhaps for the next Roadster?

Don't think so. IMO in Tesla they have already achieved a very efficient AWD System also performing torque vectoring and they don't even think to add two more motors. It would mean a much more expansive car having no improvement with respect to the standard Tesla AWD System.

Mercedes already did the quad torque vectoring in their SLS EV.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think people either missed it or misunderstood it. You don't need four motors to get torque vectoring. Because of the Open Differential design, applying the brake to one side causes the torque to move to the other side almost magically and with very little loss of total torque, and this is why they went to the electromechanical brakes instead of vacuum assisted; this gives you free vectoring.

Don't think so. IMO in Tesla they have already achieved a very efficient AWD System also performing torque vectoring and they don't even think to add two more motors. It would mean a much more expansive car having no improvement with respect to the standard Tesla AWD System.
As a two-motor setup is more efficient than a single, a quad-motor setup might be even more efficient still. Four motors means the the rotors can be made smaller in diameter. Smaller diameter means they can be mounted lower, which lowers the COG even further, not to mention diminishing the need for a mechanical differential. While I agree this is probably not necessary on a sedan platform such as the S, I can imagine such a setup might have a purpose in a more sporting chassis -- Next gen Roadster maybe?

I think people either missed it or misunderstood it. You don't need four motors to get torque vectoring. Because of the Open Differential design, applying the brake to one side causes the torque to move to the other side almost magically and with very little loss of total torque, and this is why they went to the electromechanical brakes instead of vacuum assisted; this gives you free vectoring.

Agreed! I remember us having this discussion a while back and we ended up with this conclusion.