Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone else planning around the Tesla III release?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DashIII

Oct 13, 2014
USA
My current car is coming up on 4 years old and will be paid off 5 months from now. I had been considering getting something else relatively soon. Possibly a shorter term lease, but now I'm thinking my best bet is to simply keep what I have until either the III is released or I decide that the III isn't what I hoped it would be. The Model S looks fantastic but I can't justify the cost with the driving I do.

Is anyone else tailoring their car buying decisions around a car we know very little about? All I really know about the III is the Gigafactory is meant to reduce battery costs and hopefully make it less expensive. It will be smaller than the S and positioned as a BMW 3 series fighter. This is the class i was looking in. Audi A3/A4, BMW 3 Series, Mercedes C Class or even the new Jaguar XE that's due out pretty soon.

But I'm just feeling the urge to consider the III before I do anything.

Who else?

My current car will be paid off in less than two years at which time I will redirect those payments into my Tesla purchase plan and will sell the car when my order for a model 3 is ready. This should significantly reduce the amount financed. So it works out very well for me. Actually by my calculations it should come at about the same monthly payment I'm currently making and never have to factor in gas savings!

I'm in for a performance model which competes with the BMW M3, but that might require on track performance that matches or exceeds the P85D. However, a "lesser" model out-performing a flagship model isn't unheard of. In fact, ironically, BMW has long since established that precedence (think M3 vs 7-series).

the wife and i were planing a two part replacment to our california ev compliance cars. hers, a honda fit ev, ends its lease early next year. we were planing on getting a model s. i would drive the s and she would drive my fiat 500e whos lease ends the fallowing year, 2016. at which time we would get a model III.

sadly we dont think the model III will be ready by then. even if it were, there would be a massive waiting list given the tesla name and market it would be entering.

so... current plan is still for model s order end of next year, and use the model III money to convert my clown car into electric.

Welcome to the que :) I have been waiting ~20 years for a long range EV in this price range to be available... ;) Just about 3 more year left :D

Innovations at the new TESLA battery factory might reduce that to 2-3 years.

My guess is the Model 3 will be released after the factory is producing to get the cost of the car down and include newer battery technology

My current car is coming up on 4 years old and will be paid off 5 months from now. I had been considering getting something else relatively soon.

The answer to this is SIMPLE. In 5 months you'll have a PAID OFF CAR. Rejoice in the land of "no-car-payment-land". Bathe in it. Experience it. And funnel the car payments you were making into a "buy a badass Tesla III" fund.

I haven't had a car payment in 3 years. And it's pure bliss. Paid off our Leaf 6 months after purchasing it and paid for the van in cash. Trust me. Life is better without a car payment. But more aptly put - you're paying YOURSELF the same amount of money instead of paying the bank.

I am planning to adopt a new three year lease next spring and hoping it gets me to the Model 3 release.

My current car will be paid off in less than two years at which time I will redirect those payments into my Tesla purchase plan and will sell the car when my order for a model 3 is ready. This should significantly reduce the amount financed. So it works out very well for me. Actually by my calculations it should come at about the same monthly payment I'm currently making and never have to factor in gas savings!

I'm trying to decide between these two paths. Wait with what I have seems the way to go, as I'm only incurring depreciation costs on an already 4 year old car. And no car payments means more $$ into the Tesla fund. So I'd trade in my car for the TIII.

The flip side is I really have no idea when the III will be here, what it will cost, or how long I'd have to wait to physically get one even after release. oh decisions decisions.

As it stands, nothing currently out there is really compelling me to pull the trigger on a new car. So I'll wait as long as I can!

- - - Updated - - -

The answer to this is SIMPLE. In 5 months you'll have a PAID OFF CAR. Rejoice in the land of "no-car-payment-land". Bathe in it. Experience it. And funnel the car payments you were making into a "buy a badass Tesla III" fund.

I haven't had a car payment in 3 years. And it's pure bliss. Paid off our Leaf 6 months after purchasing it and paid for the van in cash. Trust me. Life is better without a car payment. But more aptly put - you're paying YOURSELF the same amount of money instead of paying the bank.

Nice cdub. I think you're right. No car payment will be very welcome!

Personally, I'm not a fan of big cars, so the Model 3 is really what I want. I'll probably pick up a CPO'ed S85 in the next few months to replace my Mini Cooper S as my commuter car.

When Model 3 deposits open, I'll be in ASAP (Signature, if possible, so I can get early in line).

If I decide that the Model 3 doesn't work for some reason, and the Model S's size is manageable, I may upgrade to an (CPO'ed?) S85D instead (presumably transferring my deposit).

I've been planning for Bluestar (Model 3) since 2003.
I hope my 2000 Celica lasts long enough for me to not need a "bridge" car... I'd hate to have to dig into my Bluestar fund...

Happy Monday!

I've been making sure my Prius stays in tip-top shape -- the mechanic thinks that I have at least another 150,000 mostly trouble-free miles (for a total of 500,000), so that's about another 3.75 years. In the interim, I'm looking to move to somewhere I could plug a car in. I can't do that where I live now, and if the Model 3 doesn't work for me or doesn't come in time, I would probably get a Volt instead, so my address will need to change (the place is a little small, anyway). I'm already drafting "car payments" into a designated account -- even so, I suspect I will have to have my spreadsheets ready when it comes time to finance it to show I can swing the payments out of the gas savings.

Joining in the queue from Turkey! Hanging in there with my almost dead 2004 VW Golf. (it's so terrible at this moment I think I'm selling it and holding off from any car till Model 3) With Tesla confirming they'll officially launch operations here next year, one can only wait. I hope I get to bee one of the first people to own a Model 3 in my country. This thing couldn't come quicker!

I don't even know any features nor what it looks like but I want it so badly. Damn!

I paid off my 1999 Mercedes A160 after 3 years. When I heard about Tesla in 2006 I started a savings account for an upcoming EV not really expecting that it would be a Tesla.
The A160 only made it to last year when a texting teenager crashed into it and wrote it off.
I bought a Holden ute (GM) as a stop gap car as they hold their value really well.
If I hadn't started that savings account back in 2006 I wouldn't be in a position to buy a Model S now.

I'm trying to decide between these two paths. Wait with what I have seems the way to go, as I'm only incurring depreciation costs on an already 4 year old car. And no car payments means more $$ into the Tesla fund. So I'd trade in my car for the TIII.

The flip side is I really have no idea when the III will be here, what it will cost, or how long I'd have to wait to physically get one even after release. oh decisions decisions.

As it stands, nothing currently out there is really compelling me to pull the trigger on a new car. So I'll wait as long as I can!

- - - Updated - - -

Nice cdub. I think you're right. No car payment will be very welcome!

I'm certainly in no rush to get another car once my Kia is paid off so a year or year and a half wait is no big deal. We have a 2009 VW Golf with only 30,000KMs on it which we never drive we can use in the meantime. Time will tell whether we pick up a Model 3 or a CPO Model S. It all depends on what the Model 3 ends up in terms of features and pricing compared to a used Model S which should be plentiful on the used market by then.

Ditto. I haven't had a car payment since 1996 until getting my Model S this past December. And then I decided 1.49% was too cheap of money to pay cash.

Jealous of you folks who are free and clear (or nearly there). My little Prius won't be paid off until August 2017 (so, under 3 years, and that's with a 2.45% APR), and I'm absolutely buried in debt right now. I need to take drastic measures now if I have any hope of attaining a 3 in 2017 (much less this decade).