Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salespeople Misinformed About My Inventory Model S Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On 9/24 I finalized a purchase on an inventory Model S 85kw. On 9/26, I picked up the car. Multiple salespeople assured me it was the current model. Now with the announcement of autopilot, it has become apparant that deliveries made after 9/19 included the new hardware.

While it's more than likely possible that the salespeople we unaware of this, it does not change the fact that I made a purchase decision to buy the car (having been misinformed), AFTER the new hardware was being delivered.

Will Tesla do anything to fix this? I was lied to and as a long time supporter of Tesla ($20 per share investor) - I hope they fix this!

is anyone else in the same situation?

Bit harsh to title this 'Salespeople Lied' and then to follow up with saying "While it's more than likely possible that the salespeople were unaware of this". Glad I wasn't your salesperson.

Might note that with your location specified, you have quite clearly called out a very specific and small group of people as liars - without knowing if that's true or not.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as 'will they do anything to fix this?' ... did you call and talk to the sales team? What did they say?

On 9/24 I finalized a purchase on an inventory Model S 85kw. On 9/26, I picked up the car. Multiple salespeople assured me it was the current model. Now with the announcement of autopilot, it has become apparant that deliveries made after 9/19 included the new hardware.

While it's more than likely possible that the salespeople we unaware of this, it does not change the fact that I made a purchase decision to buy the car (having been misinformed), AFTER the new hardware was being delivered.

Will Tesla do anything to fix this? I was lied to and as a long time supporter of Tesla ($20 per share investor) - I hope they fix this!

Don't ask on this forum if Tesla will fix this. Explain your situation and ask them to take the car back and reverse the purchase. Perhaps they will.

Don't ask on this forum if Tesla will fix this.

Why not, though? We seek communal advice on a range of topics, it would seem like suggestions on how to proceed in a case like this fits the bill perfectly. Your advice, overall, is of course good, but perhaps someone with some other type of experience might be able to offer even more detailed advice (say, to seek some particular manager to move things forward or whatnot).

In my opinion, let's be careful of not only endorsing positive topics. It is unfortunate that the D/A announcement left a sore feeling to a number of recent purchasers, but that's a reality the Tesla user community is dealing with right now. Let's make sure we are helpful and inclusive, not dismissive and exclusive.

There's a difference between lying and being mistaken. I don't think you can assume all Tesla employees had been informed of the advancements, so calling them liars is too harsh.

During Elon's announcement on Oct 9, he stated that cars had been built with the new sensors for the past 2 weeks, making the cutoff Sept 25 at the earliest. Even if the people in the Tesla store were in the know, you finalized before that date; so the employees were correct in their assurance.

If you haven't called Tesla ownership yet, do so immediately. It's possible they'll let you back out. I don't think they are bound to, though IANAL.

Talk to Tesla - see what they will do. My guess is they will take the car back, and you can wait a few months for a new car.

As a $20 a share investor, why not just buy a second car? When you get it, decide if you want to donate your current car to charity or not.

Yeah, "lied" is way out of place here.

Oh, and get used to Tesla updating things without you having the ability to update/upgrade. We call that LIFE. You can wait and wait and wait for what you want or buy something and enjoy it then purchase a new one if you prefer the latest and greatest.

I'm confused by the OP's post. He says he purchased an inventory car. Almost by definition, it had to have been built somewhere on the order of at least 90 days before purchase. Consequently, there was a decent chance that it wasn't the absolute "latest" vehicle because Tesla is always making small tweaks (like switching the stalk positions). True, the latest announcement changes the game a bit, but the inventory car was probably close to the "latest" when the purchase was finalized on 9/24 (the same day I picked up my car which, incidentally, didn't have the new sensors).

Yeah, "lied" is way out of place here.

Oh, and get used to Tesla updating things without you having the ability to update/upgrade. We call that LIFE. You can wait and wait and wait for what you want or buy something and enjoy it then purchase a new one if you prefer the latest and greatest.
I compare it to the desktop computer market years ago. You would have to buy a new computer twice a year to have the latest and greatest but they all ran the same software

- - - Updated - - -

Making investments are different then supporting tesla. Your buying stock from someone else did nothing for tesla. So let's look at your claim of support. You bought a car 2 years after it was available and a discounted one. You put out the above post of tesla lying to you because you missed an unavailable option that sales people were not aware of. With supporters like this who needs detractors

You purchased an inventory car, as did I. With an inventory car you get the good with the bad:

1) It May or may not have all the latest features - Maybe bad
2) You are getting a steep discount - Good
3) You don't have to wait for the car - Good
4) It has some miles and wear but that's reflected in the price - Bad

Now, putting that aside if you have done any research on the Model S you will have seen over the past 3 years a myriad of functional changes that have occurred, pricing changes and upgrades/downgrades, this is the way they play and the sooner folks accept that the easier it will be.

I have a P85+ built in August 2013 and delivered to me April 2014, it was an inventory car with 6K miles. It was sold to me as a P85 (only after signing all the documents did they realize it was a +, and they honored the price). It is an oddball car with Part tech package (Has Nav, but doesn't have Homelink, rear auto tailgate, door handle lights and walk up/away door lock/unlock) other than that it was loaded and should have cost me $120K, I paid much much less. It had some door pillar wear that Tesla replaced and now is immaculate. Do I wish I had those few extra tech features, yes. Would I like to upgrade to the latest D, Yes. However its an absolute amazing car, I love it and am thankful I have it and thankful I received such a huge discount.

That discount allowed me to get a P85+ over a standard 85, so I have no right to ever be upset.

I have since added the Tesla parking features, the Goshers blind spot system and a few other things, there are always ways to improve the car.

Drive it and enjoy it.

"Current model" is NOT equal to "all the options, current or future".

Unless you were present at the sale you can't really say whether or not the terms of the agreed sale were respected and what exactly was agreed upon. Any judgement one way or the other from afar is likely made based on bias than info.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a good point. The sensors come with the new and more expensive tech package that includes autopilot. Op did not pay for that option just like any other options not on the car. What's the point of the complain?

Except the sensors are standard.

- - - Updated - - -

You purchased an inventory car, as did I. With an inventory car you get the good with the bad:

1) It May or may not have all the latest features - Maybe bad
2) You are getting a steep discount - Good
3) You don't have to wait for the car - Good
4) It has some miles and wear but that's reflected in the price - Bad

Irrelevant unless you are privy to details of OP's sale.

Thanks to the people posting about the inventory car angle. I was going to write up all of that too, but you already did, so I don't have to repeat it. OP got a great deal on a great (gently used) car. Nobody lied.

- - - Updated - - -

Multiple salespeople assured me it was the current model.

Oh, and as of 9/24 or 9/26 when you bought and picked up the car, it was, without question, the "current model" -- with or without the sensors being added to the line towards the end of Sept.

The models didn't change until 10/9.

I guess I don't understand how you expect to buy an inventory car that's at least 3 months old and at a steep discount, to also include every single (and yet unannounced) feature or hardware change that just started appearing the week when you bought the car? If you bought a new car (as many other people have), you might have a valid gripe. But an inventory car?

I compare it to the desktop computer market years ago. You would have to buy a new computer twice a year to have the latest and greatest but they all ran the same software

The difference being that desktop computers are affordable while also being upgradeable. A Model S is a six figure car that can't be upgraded. Well, technically it could be upgraded but Tesla won't offer those options because they want you to do exactly like people on here suggest and buy a new six figure car every few years, or every few months if you want the latest and greatest.

Reading all these posts about people feeling burned because they got a fully loaded P85 right before the D was announced makes me realize why every other car company releases models on a yearly cycle, at least then you know what you're getting and how long you can expect it to be the latest and greatest. With Tesla, pulling the trigger to purchase a six figure car likely means a few days after delivery it will already be outdated, with no upgrade options available This is something most people aren't used to, especially when spending six figures, so I can easily see why it leaves a bad taste in some people's mouths.

Can anyone reading this honestly say they wouldn't care at all if a new model was announced a few days after they took delivery?