Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 launch CRS-5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any updates on how firm the date is for this one? I got the call this morning to donate blood for that cells in space thing again. Last time it was supposed to be on CRS-3. I must have donated four or more times for that one since it kept getting pushed back, and ultimately the experiment didn't fly. Hoping things work out this time around.

Any updates on how firm the date is for this one? I got the call this morning to donate blood for that cells in space thing again. Last time it was supposed to be on CRS-3. I must have donated four or more times for that one since it kept getting pushed back, and ultimately the experiment didn't fly. Hoping things work out this time around.

It's really just an overly elaborate conspiracy to steal your blood...

Yeah, I'm hoping so too. That was disappointing that it didn't work last time.

Here's the update thread at NSF:
SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - Dragon - CRS-5/SpX-5 - December 19, 2014 - UPDATE THREAD

And here's a relevant update posted yesterday:

Chris Bergin said:
Per L2, the Static Fire is still showing as tomorrow (Tuesday) on the schedules, but this was a fluid situation for the previous date and I really think we should wait to see a big white rocket on the pad before we can be confident about that. They have been working a few things lately and the launch date seemed a bit fluid as of the end of last week - if you ask around enough (which is natural).

Officially, still the 19th for the launch date NET. If anything changes, we'll share (L2 or not) with everyone, as I know people make plans for flights, etc.

New Update from NSF forum:
SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - Dragon - CRS-5/SpX-5 - December 19, 2014 - UPDATE THREAD

Chris Bergin said:
Here's where we are on this.

Static Fire scheduled for yesterday, but wasn't confirmed until we saw the vehicle on the pad.

Webcam feed was cut (as per usual), guarded by Gandalf (humorous), by the time they entered tanking.

Window was four hours, but we knew they could extend if required.

We know they had at least one good countdown but didn't get to ignition, OR didn't complete the static fire requirement. Now that times in with the above tweet about completing the static fire, so either that account heard the countdown, saw a puff, or classed that as complete - but I was getting notes it wasn't, per the Static Fire requirements. I *think* it's the only account classing it as a complete.

I was asking SpaceX for updates and they moved to a stance of saying they would let me know as soon as they had the Static Fire confirmation - which is usual and fine. SpaceX is very helpful towards us, but at the same time they are a commercial company and don't give running commentaries about their flows.

I asked again after we heard the Static Fire attempt didn't work out, and I was told they can't comment yet, but would when they would be able to.

Experience over previous Static Fires is they always say it's complete, when it's complete, within the hour. Usually a one liner, saying engines fired, initial data looks good, then they go into the LRR. That's all we need, so that's great. That didn't happen yesterday, with the final note saying they would let us know when they had more info.

So right now, until I'm officially told different, they didn't complete the Static Fire, and they will need to try again today if they are to protect the Friday launch attempt, I assume.

Personally I'd love it if someone turned around and provided official confirmation of a Static Fire, allowing us all to look forward to a Friday launch and a sporty core stage return, but I've covered enough of their Static Fires to know this one doesn't feel like it has been completed.

There's your update. If you want to discuss it, please use the discussion threads and I'll update this update thread when I know more.

(Bolding mine)

Last edited:
Yep, the previously-linked article has been updated to reflect the new launch date: SpaceX confirms CRS-5 launch slip to January 6 | NASASpaceFlight.com

Edit: the reason for the long-ish delay is due to a 'high beta angle' period with the ISS and how its orbit is aligned with the position of the Sun. During this time (from the 28th through January 7th) visiting vehicles are not allowed to berth/dock with the ISS.

Beta angle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For those who aren't familiar with this as I wasn't. So am I to guess then that the reason for this delay is not because of something with the ISS but rather the capsule itself where it cannot be in the sunlight for too long because it can't handle it? So they have to push the launch back until the ISS goes into a better orbiting period such that the capsule would be exposed to less sun?

I am guess the ISS was built to handle a much higher beta angle than dragon was. It is interesting because that isn't something I would have thought about offhand as a general challenge. I would have thought everything would have been built to handle the extreme temps both hot and cold of space, I didn't realize there was also a timing factor to it. This is all rather fascinating :D

I would have thought everything would have been built to handle the extreme temps both hot and cold of space, I didn't realize there was also a timing factor to it. This is all rather fascinating :D
Probably there are at least two factors involved. The Dragon most likely has to rotate to distribute the heat evenly, and cannot do that while docking, or once docked. The other is the Sun position relative to the ISS while docking, as having the Sun at the wrong angle behind the ISS could blind the sensors needed to determine distance.

From the NASA press release:

"Beta angles are the angles between the space station orbital plane and the sun, resulting in the station being in almost constant sunlight for a 10 day period. During this time, there are thermal and operational constraints that prohibit Dragon from berthing to the station. This high beta period runs from Dec. 28 through Jan. 7."

https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacex/2014/12/18/crs-5-launch-date-net-jan-6/

Here is the fact sheet for the 5th commercial resupply mission not to mention the ocean barge landing attempt.
Always interesting are the research highlights which will likely get little media coverage with all the attention paid to the barge landing.
-Flatworm regeneration
-CATS (no not real cats!)
-Fruit Fly Lab
-Micro 5
-Nano Racks SABOL

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/SpaceX_CRS-5_factsheet.pdf

Here is the fact sheet for the 5th commercial resupply mission not to mention the ocean barge landing attempt.
Always interesting are the research highlights which will likely get little media coverage with all the attention paid to the barge landing.
-Flatworm regeneration
-CATS (no not real cats!)
-Fruit Fly Lab
-Micro 5
-Nano Racks SABOL

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/SpaceX_CRS-5_factsheet.pdf

You forgot the all important Doug's blood experiment. He can verify but I believe it has to do with vampirism or staving off a zombie apocalypse...