Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volume control on different audio sources

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DITB

Charged.hk co-founder
Nov 13, 2012
Hong Kong
I HAVE tried the search function, but couldn't find relevant information, so here goes.

I had the car for a few weeks now (Hong Kong, right hand drive model). We don't have the navigation working yet, since TM is still testing various solutions before installing it some time in (estimated) December 2014.

Hence I use my iPhone for navigation (my first car in Hong Kong, I really DO need navigation assistance, and traffic alerts obviously!). Combine Nav from the iPhone, with directions going into the speakers via Bluetooth, with listening to music and the other sounds in the car, I am trying to set the volume properly. Depending on if I listen to podcast, music, radio or what, the volume control of the car seems to adjust them all. The podcast could be to soft to hear, yet when I get directions from Waze or Google, it is quite loud.

Is there any way to adjust the volume from different sources, on the fly? In other words, a simple way which is safe to do while driving.

At first, I though that when I adjusted the volume while a certain source was playing, it was only for that source, i.e. it says "Take the next exit bla bla" and while that command is ongoing, I adjust the volume for that source only. But then when the podcast comes back on, I can hardly hear it, and I realise it's a master volume, not separate for each channel/source.

From Waze, I can adjust the sound output for that app, but I have to open the settings, find audio, adjust volume and so on - not safe nor convenient while driving! Also, the other functions of the phone, i.e. phone ringing, phone call volume and so on, isn't controlled by the volume of the Waze settings.

For now, I have set Waze to use the phone speaker instead, which also means it won't interrupt the music playing for every command - which is good. Yet I still like to hear about options to command the volume level for each source.