Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how many kept your old ICE around as a backup? And how long before selling it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im curious how many are in the same boat as me, where out of an abundance of caution (and perhaps range anxiety), you kept your previous ICE around when buying the S. And, for those of you that did, how long did you have the S as your daily driver before deciding to commit and sell the ICE?

I'm about a month in, and already suspended the insurance on my old Audi (barring the comprehensive). And now I'm wondering what I'm really getting by using that space in the garage and watching it depreciate.

Sell it. I kept my ICE for 7 months after getting my Model S. Not because of range anxiety, but I really loved that car and had only had it 2 years. I thought I would enjoy switching once in a while. I was very, very wrong. I finally forced myself to take it to work one Friday instead of my Tesla. 2 miles from home I contemplated turning back and swapping. All day I was bummed knowing I had to drive my Genesis coupe back home instead of the Tesla. That weekend, I took it to Carmax and left with a check. No regrets other than it took me 7 months to sell it.

Think of it this way... If you have to make a trip that isn't feasible in the Tesla, you can always rent an ICE. You won't, though.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I have an old Land Rover which I love and will probably keep for a long time. It has high ground clearance and will go anywhere (especially in the deep snow we get here sometimes. Also, lots of room in the back to haul stuff. It's a year 2000 so is fully depreciated... it can't go any lower as long as I keep it running.

Sold my Lexus in preparation for the S to arrive. Kept the F-150. After having the S now if I ever end up replacing it I'd be tempted to an AWD model and get rid of the F-150 as well. I really don't ever want to deal with an ICE ever again.

We kept our 8 year old mini-van. It still has its uses, holds more passengers the few times we need it. And just yesterday it came in quite handy as we decided at the last minute to meet our in-laws for dinner 155 miles away...still no superchargers in MA so while we could've taken the 'S there, we wouldn't have gotten back anytime soon.

We've thought about selling...but as our other car is a short range EV, and the supercharger's just aren't very dense here in the North East...and it doesn't cost that much to insure. My wife still drives it about once a month...more in the winter as it's the only car with snow tires. Once the supercharger network is complete it's usefulness will diminish I'm sure.

I kept my Acura RDX, 2006, (and really the best car I have ever owned, until now, of course) for a backup and to haul my dogs and big dirty stuff around. She's paid for, in fantastic shape, and not worth enough to motivate me to sell her. I thought about selling and buying a cheap pickup or something. But it is nice to know that I have decent car when weather gets really bad, which it does here in the wet rainy mountains of CA in the winter. We also have power outages that can last for 3-4-5 days. While I have a generator for the house, I'd be really nervous about pulling dirty power like that for my Miss. If I lived in an urban area, I would probably rethink it.

My feeling is that since the Acura isn't worth much of anything now and I have the space, I might as well hold onto her.

I have an old Land Rover which I love and will probably keep for a long time. It has high ground clearance and will go anywhere (especially in the deep snow we get here sometimes. Also, lots of room in the back to haul stuff. It's a year 2000 so is fully depreciated... it can't go any lower as long as I keep it running.

Great year! I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee that I bought new and have had for 15 years (purchased 9/1999). It has a 3" lift, ARB air lockers, and 31" tires for serious off-road use. There is no way that an X can go where my Jeep can go. I will keep this for uses that a Tesla won't be able to do for MANY years. I very much like my Teslas, but they are for improved roads, paved or unpaved. Unimproved roads are beyond a Tesla's capabilities.

Here are a couple of pictures of my Jeep on the access "road" to my solar PV panels in Pagosa, and in front of the solar panels. A Tesla won't go here, at least for now...

Jeep.JPG

Jeep-2.JPG

We sold a 2004 Mazda 6 Wagon to buy the Model S. My wife still has her ICE (2013 Honda CR-V), only 6 months older than our Tesla, and no plans to get rid of either one any time soon (we typically keep cars for 8+ years each). We bought her car to be the "road trip" car before Tesla was even on our radar, as I had been looking for a small sport sedan that would be less practical for long family trips. Since buying the Tesla, it has been our exclusive road-trip car (including 2500 miles to FL and back on the supercharger network), and our kids are trying to convince my wife that her next car will be electric... and likely succeeding. Oh, and her 12V battery has died twice so far from leaving accessories on too long (only 10-15 minutes!).

I've kept my two ICE cars, although I haven't really driven them since I received my P85. I'm planning to keep both ICE cars indefinitely, but only because there are certain places I wouldn't want to drive and park with my Tesla. I have zero range anxiety, so that doesn't get into the equation.

I've kept my two ICE cars, although I haven't really driven them since I received my P85. I'm planning to keep both ICE cars indefinitely, but only because there are certain places I wouldn't want to drive and park with my Tesla. I have zero range anxiety, so that doesn't get into the equation.

I have more parking anxiety than range anxiety as well. :tongue:

I sold my Prius to get my Model S. If I'd have bought my S during the Model S's early stages I feel I would've kept my Prius. But I felt more comfortable later on about the reliability of the S and Tesla's service. So Prius, be gone from me.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Since my P85, I'm down from three ICEs to two. As soon as possible I hope to be down to one ICE only and that's merely because it is used by family and there really isn't a great EV choice to replace it with yet - current EVs are either too large (S/X) or too small/small-ranged. One thing has changed with regards to the latter ICE car, though, I have postponed plans to replace it, because I sure as heck am not buying another ICE or some puny hybrid ever again. So, our last ICE will remain standing for some time, mostly literally because we'll be driving the Tesla instead, and waiting for either to be sold or replaced with an EV when the time comes.

I fully expect never to drive an ICE again as a daily driver myself. I used to love taking our third ICE on the road in many occasions, but now I can't stand the thought of it. As for road trips, I can't imagine taking one where I couldn't take the Tesla. Driving hundreds of kilometers/miles somewhere in an ICE? I'd rather stay home.

Kept my 2010 Audi Q5. Debated on selling it to get a used truck for the beach/dogs/hauling dirty stuff, etc. but decided to keep the Audi. It's still a great car..for an ICE car...lol.. I Also drive it when I need to go to Waikiki and I know the hotel valet doesn't have space to leave the Tesla on the lobby level or when it's raining and I don't want to get the Tesla dirty after cleaning it.

Will probably need to sell though for my next Tesla...am hoping for a P85D :wink: and will need the cash...lol

My Model S is my only car. The only long trip I worried about doing was my drive from New England to North Carolina to see my Dad and with the supercharger network that's very do-able. I'm going to arrange to have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in his garage and and then will be all set for those visits! For my day-to-day I have no hesitation that the Model S will suffice.

I still have 2 other vehicles: the Toyota Sequoia, which my wife typically drives during the week, and which is the "big car" for if we need to sit more people, carry larger loads for vacations, etc...

I kept my 97 Toyota 4Runner as well. It's the camping/offroad/play vehicle... and the one my 16 yr old son gets to drive.

Both are paid off.