Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checking/Spying on Your Kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

astrotoy

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2013
SF Bay Area
Last week I lent our MS to our daughter, son-in-law and our two grandchildren (3yo and 2months) as they were visiting from LA and going up to North Shore Tahoe for a few days. They did very well in the car, no issues, using the supercharger on the way up from the Bar Area at Roseville and Truckee, and then on the way down at Roseville. What was very nice was being able to see where they were all all times. They aren't so young (mid-30's) but we like to know that they arrived safely and when they were on their way back. Also whether they were having any issues with the car, how much fuel they needed, etc. With such young children, we knew they weren't going to be out late at night, but it was still reassuring to see where they were. Don't think they know about the Tesla app.
:smile:

In my opinion, with grown children you have a moral and ethical obligation to tell them if you plan to watch where they go using the app. That doesn't apply to children under the age of majority. Adults go places and do things that they may not be doing if they knew you were watching. Often, those things are perfectly fine, but private. Other times, they may not be perfectly fine, but are still private. Best not to open a can of worms when there's no need. With young children there is a need to open every can of worms. I'm quite certain your grown children would have had no problem knowing you were watching them for safety concerns. In fact, they would probably appreciate it.

Last edited:
Agree with Canuck that adults have a reasonable expectation of privacy, even when borrowing your vehicle. There's plenty of places grown adult children might go that they might prefer parents not be informed about: a counseling center, cancer treatment center, mental health clinic, substance abuse clinic, etc. It's impolite at best to track a vehicle without telling its occupants beforehand, and a violation of trust and unethical behavior at worst.

When I loan out my vehicle, I always make it clear that I have an app and can track the vehicle location/speed/energy at any time, but my interest is primarily in the health of the car, not the whereabouts of the occupants. For relatives I trust implicitly, I might consider pointing out how to turn off remote access if they were keeping it for an extended period of time.