Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 KW ChargePoint J1772 on Red Mountain AVA near Benton City, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
R

ReddyLeaf

This probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, but given the paucity of public EV charging in southeastern WA, I think it's important for those traveling in this area. Yes, it's also off the beaten path, but if you are traveling through the Yakima valley wine country to the Tri-Cities anyway it could add a few miles of needed range.

The particulars: ChargePoint 7 KW L2 installed at Hamilton Cellars, 55410 N. Sunset Rd, Benton City, WA 509-521-7693. Free charging for customers, but a ChargePoint card is required (available in the tasting room). The unit is right in front and available for charging during business hours. They have solar panels and a nice view from the tasting room so you don't have to worry about how your electrons are being generated.

If traveling from Yakima on I-82, take the Benton City exit and turn left (North) on 224 under the freeway. Then take the 1st right at the gas (remember what that is?) station, then the next left (all the time staying on 224 toward West Richland). Take the 2nd left (about 1/2-3/4 mile) on N. Sunset Road and the winery is almost at the end.

I have no affiliation with the winery or owners (although I heard about them from a family member who is a friend of theres). I have confirmed the unit is working (at least for my 2011 Leaf which only pulls 3.8 KW). Here is a news article about the winery and installation:
Red Mountain winery is first in Washington powered solely by the sun | Wine Press Northwest | WinePress NW

I tried to upload into PlugShare, but their website is having problems so I'm not sure it took. Below is a picture of my red Leaf with the owner Stacie.

Hamilton Cellars - 1.jpg

For those traveling from Seattle to the Tri-Cities, remember that the Yakima I-82 route is about 20 miles farther than the Mattawa/Hanford 240 route. Therefore, even with this additional station, it doesn't make sense to drive the I-82 route unless you have another reason (e.g., wine tasting, friends, site-seeing in the Yakima canyon/valley, etc.).

As I've said before, if you need assistance with charging over here, especially in the Tri-Cities, please let me know. I've helped a few Teslas and even one Leaf. I look forward to the day when my assistance isn't needed, but it will probably be a few more years given how slow and difficult it has been trying to convince businesses to install charging stations. I've had two cancellations in the past few months that would have been easy and inexpensive installations. They would have cost less than $1500 each. Now I find the Hamilton Cellars installation and confirm that it was in excess of $10,000 just like I've found from other discussions and internet searches. Darn, I wish I had known in advance and I could have saved them some money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update, Hamilton Cellars received two 80 amp HPWCs and a 40 amp J1772 ClipperCreek as part of Tesla's destination charging program. I made the suggestion to Tesla based on my visit with the owners of Hamilton Cellars. Tesla contacted them, and the rest is history. I haven't updated plugshare yet, but will soon.

Quick update: They had a grand opening with various local politicians and dignitaries. Nice event. Of course, I wouldn't need to mention it on TMC unless there was something Tesla related. Well, Tesla Seattle sent over two vehicles for test driving. Hopefully, we have some local politicians who know more about electric vehicles. Four charging stations out in the middle of nowhere and I was surprised to arrive to all stations full!

I charged there for a few minutes last weekend while trying to find the local supplier of my garage wine grapes. Must be at full ams/volts...about a mile per minute. No one was there (it was early) to thank, but there are two functional Tesla HPWC's and a lower powered charger around the corner (the one in the photo above).

The merlot is done fermenting. :biggrin: Am waiting on the Cab Sauv, malbec and cab franc. There is a plan for Red Mountain to put in a tram, hotel, etc, and make it a destination for wine discovery. I wrote the idea folks about a year ago suggesting that they put in destination charging...hope it worked! I wish them well.