Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On a budget....S60D with Tech vs barebones S85???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For about the exact same price, one could get an S60D with SC and tech.....or a barebones S85 (SC included obviously)

Such a tough call...I would love tech, and AWD seems pretty cool as we have some nasty winters here sometimes....but the bigger battery on the 85 gives me about 100km more range, even on the highway. I don't travel out of town all that often (maybe once every few months), but I would like to be able to take the Tesla when I do, and at some point I would love to do a Florida trip all on SCs, which I don't know if it's possible on a 60. Tech is cool, I could live without the autopilot features, although I would love radar cruise which probably requires tech, navigation isn't a big deal to me, but I would love the auto doorhandles, and appreciate the daytime LEDs and fogs, as well as power liftgate. Improved warranty on the 85 is nice too, although my current driving would still give 7-8 years warranty anyway.

I know it's easy to say spend more and get the S85D with tech, but I have to draw the line somewhere on cost, as this would be a monumental purchase for me.

(This is partially hypothetical too, as I have an X reservation and really want to check that out before I buy)

What do you guys think?

If you're on a budget and can live with RWD you can pick up a nicely equipped used S85 or maybe even a P85 for the same money. Plenty of people will offer their cars for sale over the next couple of months so they can get a S85D or P85D.

It seems like Tesla is folding a bunch of other new technologies into the D cars - almost like it's Model S 1.5 (electromechanical brakes, self closing chargeport, new interiors.)

If you're looking at buying a new car now, I'd absolutely pay for the D. OTOH, zwede has a point. If you're not attached to any of the new features (including autopilot,) you'll likely be able to get a very nice used model S for a lot less money in the next 6 months as current owners sell to get the new technologies.

There hasn't really been a meaningful used Model S market so far, but I think that's about the change. :)
Walter

The Dual motor option (the "D") and the new tech package with Autopilot are two different things - you can config an S85 with the tech package + autopilot. I am not sure if the new seats are now standard or if the will be a D-only thing.

I guess it might come down to which is more valuable to you - the range of the 85 or the AWD capabilities of the D.

O

Won't all new Model S have electromechanical brakes now?

YES! I have a NEW Model S and I can tell you that the brakes are different. Also, the different steering options feel "different" vs. prior Model S. I have now driven about 10 different Model S P85s and P85+s - the difference between mind and the others is interesting in breaking and steering sensitivity. Tomorrow I am going to have a few other Model S owners that are friends give mind a drive and tell me what they think. I have all the other HW on my P85+ and my OA has told me that the car has ALL the new changes (expect the it's not a D of course) :)

It seems like Tesla is folding a bunch of other new technologies into the D cars - almost like it's Model S 1.5 (electromechanical brakes, self closing chargeport, new interiors.)

If you're looking at buying a new car now, I'd absolutely pay for the D. OTOH, zwede has a point. If you're not attached to any of the new features (including autopilot,) you'll likely be able to get a very nice used model S for a lot less money in the next 6 months as current owners sell to get the new technologies.

There hasn't really been a meaningful used Model S market so far, but I think that's about the change. :)
Walter

Hmmm...I'll keep my eye on Autotrader for the used market. I am in Canada, so there are much less of them around for sale usually, and they are not importable from the US. We have a pretty sweet EV rebate in Ontario too ($8,500 cash back, plus $1,000 towards EVSE setup), so I would have to take that into account when looking at used. I would probably need a used one to be down around 60-70k to make it worth serious interest.

Perhaps I could talk myself into a new barebones 85D with the rationale that with the AWD I could get away without using winter tires, plus tire wear should be better, so maybe over 10 years I would save most of the D upfront cost.

If it was me and I was on a tight budget, the first thing I would pay extra for would be the bigger battery. It just gives you more flexibility to account for unexpected weather conditions (rain, headwinds, cold, etc.), nonfunctioning chargers along a route and other unanticipated travel woes.

For me, that would be first before any other options so I would get a bare bones 85 over a 60 with some options.

Mike

You have near-perfect timing to get a sweet deal on a lightly used S85, but yeah, Canada market is going to be way smaller. Worth looking out for a deal if you are not in a hurry.

It would have to be a killer deal, in Canada, for me to consider it now, before see I g the final version of the X, or X pricing. And because in Ontario we get the $8500 cash back, it would really have to be a deal too good to pass up. Like maybe 60k for an S85, which I can't see happening.

I would even consider delaying purchase then to save up more for the S85D if AWD is important.

That's another option I suppose. I will be waiting at least until I can sit in (and hopefully drive) an X anyway. By then I will be able to see some reviews on the D system on the S. When my X reservation comes up to build though (guessing early summer 2015), I will have to decide then, or if I still need to save up it will likely push me to spring/summer 2016 for the X. I am guessing I will want the X, as I find the S pretty low for entry/exit, and extra storage space is always welcome. It will likely come down to price, as it will undoubtedly cost more than the S, which an S85D is already a stretch for my budget. Eventually it might come down to an X60D vs an S85D for the same price, which I would need a back to back test drive to decide. I've already been wanting a Tesla for almost two years. Don't think I can wait past 2015. Plus my ICE might not make it through two more winters!

That's another option I suppose. I will be waiting at least until I can sit in (and hopefully drive) an X anyway. By then I will be able to see some reviews on the D system on the S. When my X reservation comes up to build though (guessing early summer 2015), I will have to decide then, or if I still need to save up it will likely push me to spring/summer 2016 for the X. I am guessing I will want the X, as I find the S pretty low for entry/exit, and extra storage space is always welcome. It will likely come down to price, as it will undoubtedly cost more than the S, which an S85D is already a stretch for my budget. Eventually it might come down to an X60D vs an S85D for the same price, which I would need a back to back test drive to decide. I've already been wanting a Tesla for almost two years. Don't think I can wait past 2015. Plus my ICE might not make it through two more winters!

Tough choice. Agree with Al. Maybe X is way to go. Definitely get Tech package first then biggest battery you can afford next then AWD if that is important for the weather in your area. Good luck.