Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not a fan of the piano black- can you add the wood later, or is anyone selling covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teslaaccessories.com has overlays you can put over the trim using different wood looks, etc. looks better than vinyl wraps since it has a polyurethane finish over them. But for the price differential on the price of the car for a wood trim, you might want to reconsider?

The various wood trim parts in the car are actually held by clips and can be popped out and changed easily (the only part I am unsure of is the central armrest where the cupholders are). I don't know how much Tesla charges, but I know this is an upgrade they do if you later decide to change the trim.

Yeah I wasn't super excited about any of the trims. I ended up getting the Piano black because it was free and was the least objectionable in my opinion. In the end I'm glad I did. The black makes for a very nice contrast with the grey seats I got.

attachment.php?attachmentid=60412&d=1412130406.jpg

I'm happy with my piano black, but would have preferred carbon fibre. However, at the time I purchased, carbon fibre was tied to the P85 and wasn't available on the S85. I never considered wood at all.

My only complaint about Piano Black is how it shows fingerprints.

So does the screen -- and you're often touching the screen but not very often touching the trim. I keep a microfiber cloth and small bottle of monitor spray in the car and clean both at the same time. I like the piano black but maybe that's because it does remind me of the classy look of a grand piano.

The various wood trim parts in the car are actually held by clips and can be popped out and changed easily (the only part I am unsure of is the central armrest where the cupholders are). I don't know how much Tesla charges, but I know this is an upgrade they do if you later decide to change the trim.
Not entirely true.
The dash panels actually are held in by both clips and screws along the bottom. Having made my own interior timber trims on substrates provided by Tesla, i can state this authoritatively. To get the old ones out, the lower dash panels around the steering column and the glove box assembly need to be removed. Those are also held in by both screws and clips.

Not entirely true.
The dash panels actually are held in by both clips and screws along the bottom. Having made my own interior timber trims on substrates provided by Tesla, i can state this authoritatively. To get the old ones out, the lower dash panels around the steering column and the glove box assembly need to be removed. Those are also held in by both screws and clips.

Please post pictures once you get these installed in your car.

Not entirely true.

How hard is the center armwrest/cupholder area to get apart? Are you replacing that as well?

I was worried about swirling and scratches on the piano black. I had it on a previous car and it started to look pretty bad after a few years.

I wasn't really impressed with the woods, so I just paid the extra for the carbon fiber. I figured it was worth the cost to preserve my sanity, otherwise I'd be obsessing over damage to the piano black finish. I can report that the carbon fiber is quite durable and hides flaws very well.

Not sure that helps at all, but with this much money going into the car, if you don't like the piano black, were it me, I'd suck it up and order the finish you want.

I was worried about swirling and scratches on the piano black. I had it on a previous car and it started to look pretty bad after a few years.

I wasn't really impressed with the woods, so I just paid the extra for the carbon fiber. I figured it was worth the cost to preserve my sanity, otherwise I'd be obsessing over damage to the piano black finish. I can report that the carbon fiber is quite durable and hides flaws very well.

Not sure that helps at all, but with this much money going into the car, if you don't like the piano black, were it me, I'd suck it up and order the finish you want.

I've actually been wondering if there's some sort of product you can put on it that would repel dust, fingerprints and protect it from scratches. Surely there must be.

I've actually been wondering if there's some sort of product you can put on it that would repel dust, fingerprints and protect it from scratches. Surely there must be.

I'm sure you paint armour installer could install protective film. However, after over 30K miles, my piano black still looks new.