Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question of curiosity: How many electric motors does Tesla have in production now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ex.
1. Roadster engine
2. Roadster sport engine?
3. Non-perf Model S engine
4. Performance Model S engine
5. Rear engine for S85D
6. Front engine for S85D
7. Rear engine for P85D
8. Front engine for P85D

Surely some of these are the same motor just configured differently for AWD or performance variants??
So what's the total number? Which engines are shared across different models?

which motors have been discontinued but are still being supported by service? Obviously the Roadster variants

Last edited:
Single:
Single configs.png

Dual:
Dual configs.png

I remember reading somewhere that the single drive versions of the MS use the same motor across the P and S variants.... There's just an upgraded inverter? that gives more power in the performance model, but the motors are the same? Is that true? I'm 90+% sure the motor is the same in the single drive 60kWh vs 80kWh models... Only difference is the battery.

Then we have the dual drive configurations...
Looks like they're saying the 60D and 80D share the same 188hp motor for front and rear.. This looks to be a brand new motor not offered before (I think?)

Then we have the P85D. It says 470hp rear and 221 hp front. I'm assuming this means the same 470hp rear motor as the single drive P85, but is the 221hp front motor is possibly a 2nd NEW motor configuration, or is it just the same 188HP motor used in the non-perf 60 and 85 just getting more juice from a beefier inverter?

So...
If the single motor S60, S80, P85 all share the same motor that's 1.
Then if the S60D, S80D, and P85D fronts are all the same that's 1.
Then you have the roadster and roadste sport, which I'm not sure if they're the same or different motors...

On the low end it seems like you'd have 2 different MS motors and possibly 2 roadster motors bringing the total to 4... or if there are differences between the P and S RWD motors, and P and S FWD motors, that # could balloon to 4 different MS motors and 2 different roadster motors for a total of 6 distinctly different motors...

Last edited:
Only two different motors: One for the front, and one for the rear.

The only difference is the inverter/converters for the P to give more power, and software limitations on the 60 variants (both D and non-D)
That would certainly make more sense from a modularity perspective and keeping things simple (stupid) :) for the production line... But how sure are we?

- - - Updated - - -

Imo 3 (2), 4, 7, 8 that is to say 5 motors.
What do you mean by 3 (2)? That the non-performance single drive comes in two motor types? a 60 and an 80? Seems like the HP #'s would be different then?

- - - Updated - - -

MODS: If this is being discussed in another thread, my apologies. Feel free to point us there or merge as needed.

Last edited: