Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ground clearance of X compared to S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't see the X being any higher than the S because it's the same platform, only the body style is different to accommodate the third row. It's possible they will use slightly different tire sizes, but that won't raise it up by more than 10mm or so, using any tire size i can imagine being used.

In both, you can use an "exit" setting to raise the vehicle up for ease of exit.

You won't climb up into the X, but the roofline will be significantly higher so the door opening should be enough taller to make entering the car considerably easier. At least, that's my current working theory.

:biggrin:

TM website pics suggest there is a difference:

Untitled.jpg

I would be surprised if the X didn't offer (standard or optional) the air suspension that allows even greater ground clearance. It's on lots of high-end SUVs and the S so it's a no brainer that they'll put it on the X. (Just too expensive IMHO)

I really do hope they significantly increase the clearance without too much of a hit on cornering. It is one of the things I have most looked forward to in the Model X. I want the Model X to be as or more capable of navigating things like deeply rutted roads and deep snow as other CUV/SUV's while blowing them away in the corning department due to the lower cog. I realize it will not be able to out corner a Model S if they increase the clearance, but it still makes sense because that is what CUV/SUV's are about: higher seating with more clearance and usually some form of AWD.

I hope the Tesla Model X offers a wide range of adjustable heights with an air suspension. I seem to remember there was a version of the Subaru Outback that had around 8" of travel in its height adjustment. That would do the trick nicely.

If the air suspension is packaged like it is with the Model S, then you will need to pony up an extra 6.5k which is fine if you want all the other tech options and auto pilot, but not if you just want a little more clearance. I still hope the Model X comes with extra clearance even without the air suspension.

I wonder how the higher ride height might affect center of gravity - that batter pack is REALLY heavy and raising it higher can have a significant impact on handling.

The center of gravity would only rise 10 cm at most at highest setting and would still be lower than most if not all SUV:s. You are not going to drive at higher speed with highest setting either. The car will automatically lower itself in higher speed.

I wonder how the higher ride height might affect center of gravity - that batter pack is REALLY heavy and raising it higher can have a significant impact on handling.

I believe they have been testing this impact since at least the beginning of the year by modifying a Model S. Check out the Model S Test Mule thread to see what I mean. Look at the 3rd photo down in the first post for increased clearance and post #9 for Mikes comments.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/27765-Model-S-Test-Mule