Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Console over Yacht

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vitaman

Supporting Member
Aug 9, 2014
Decatur, GA
When I configured a P85+ in August, I did not select the option for a Yacht floor because I plan to have a console installed as soon as available (my SA thought it would be early next year).
When I transitioned the order over to the new "D" the Yacht Floor was thrown in with the upgraded Interior package.
Was curious as to why this Yacht floor even exists. It looks like it will be completely hidden by a console. Does Tesla think lots of folks prefer just not having a console?

I'm not sure why the Yacht even exists either. It takes up room and is very expensive--$20 would be a lot for it. It doesn't add anything even if you don't have the console. I don't have the console mostly because there's other things I want to spend $500 on. I wouldn't have complained about having it had it been included with the car.

I chose the yacht floor over the console. No accounting for taste. It was too high, but /shrug. As far as why it vs nothing, I tried both in various loaners and found that until I had one with the yacht floor, I didn't mind the carpeted center area, but after having one with the yacht floor, I just couldn't see the original as looking finished anymore.
I originally was interested in the console, but having seem them in pictures, I find they just don't look very good to me vs. the clean look of no console. Maybe like the yacht floor, I'd change my mind if I saw it in person for a bit.

Unfortunately (#firstworldproblems) now that I'm changing from the P85+ to P85D im forced to get the premium interior package if I want the yach floor, or do it after delivery. Currently, I'm skipping it, that way I can add it later for way too much instead of just too much, or I can add the console if first hand experience changes my mind.
I'd spring for the Napa leather and premium lighting, but see little difference (especially in black) between the Napa and the synthetic for the few parts covered and think the synthetic will wear better. Open to being convinced otherwise, but so far seems more push *not* to get the Napa. I like the premium lighting, but rarely will have back seat occupants, and just don't see the ambient which we would see in the front as being worth that much.

When I transitioned the order over to the new "D" the Yacht Floor was thrown in with the upgraded Interior package.
Was curious as to why this Yacht floor even exists. It looks like it will be completely hidden by a console. Does Tesla think lots of folks prefer just not having a console?

Presumably; I mean, originally there were no console options. I'm sure lots of folks never bothered buying a console--I never did; I feel no need for one. The open space provides much more room and I find it more useful. I kinda thought the minority was folks-buying-consoles, not folks-not-buying-consoles. (Plus most of the decent options are overpriced.)

On the other paw, I don't feel the need for a Yacht Floor, either. ;-) The car floor works well for me.