Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The RAC has offered to fund several EV fast charging stations in the South West and has been in successful contact with local councils.

The REV Project has been planning this for a while, but the RAC involvement is a big deal

The below article appeared in Saturday's The West Australian (dead tree edition)

WAElectricHighway.png

Of course an 85kWh Model S can make it from Perth to Augusta (just over 300km) without charging, but would need to charge before heading back.
It will be nice to have options to stop along the way for a quick top up - considering Tesla has no immediate plans for a service centre let alone a supercharger in WA - and this will help with local adoption of EVs in general

Now how's that CHAdeMO Adapter coming along?

The DC charging stations will have two cables, CHAdeMO and Combo 2. The Leaf and I-MieV are CHAdeMO while the BMW i3 is Combo 2. There is a question mark over whether the CHAdeMO standard will be deprecated.

Tesla S cars optioned with supercharge can access the CHAdeMO DC charging stations via a Tesla supplied CHAdeMO accessory.

There is an option to add a third Type 2 AC cable to the DC charging stations which can provide AC current up to 43 kW.

Would Tesla S drivers like to see an AC option on the DC charging stations?

CHAdeMO adaptor from tesla is a $1000+ accessory!!
It has dropped to $450 in the last few days, at least for the North American version - but of course isn't available for order yet, except for the ones bundled with the cars in Japan

Welcome to the forum, ElectricAutos.
Model S can charge on AC at up to 20kW provided the vehicle is equipped with dual chargers (which 70% of forum orders have) or 10kW on the single charger.
Not as nice as fast charging but still very useful, especially with the Electric Highway plan of ~100km between chargers.

Am I right in thinking someone here is instrumental in this? Regardless, I applaud the *really* bright sparks behind this...you are champions of the cause and I hope it catches on here in the east.

One question, how do I get a Tesla to WA? By truck I guess :frown:

The DC charging stations will have two cables, CHAdeMO and Combo 2. The Leaf and I-MieV are CHAdeMO while the BMW i3 is Combo 2. There is a question mark over whether the CHAdeMO standard will be deprecated.

Tesla S cars optioned with supercharge can access the CHAdeMO DC charging stations via a Tesla supplied CHAdeMO accessory.

There is an option to add a third Type 2 AC cable to the DC charging stations which can provide AC current up to 43 kW.

BMW i3 has been confirmed as combo 1 not combo 2 for Australia. that is what's on the website. CHAdeMO isn't going anywhere it's already too ingrained into japan...

BMW i3 has been confirmed as combo 1 not combo 2 for Australia. that is what's on the website. CHAdeMO isn't going anywhere it's already too ingrained into japan...

Yes. You are correct. There was a typo in the original post. There is no "official" Australian standard but all the existing production cars imported into Australia are J1772 so there is a presumption that the next generation of electric cars will have a single Combo 1 (J1772(TYpe 1) + DC Fast Charge) socket.

Unfortunately J1772 does not support three phase power so the Type 2 (Mennekes) standard would in fact be more appropriate for Australian conditions enabling higher currents at lower amps e.g. 22 kW AC on a three phase 32 amp circuit v 7.2 kW AC on a single phase 32 amp circuit.

Of course there is no advantage unless the cars have on-board AC chargers capable of drawing 22 kW. Only the Tesla has this capability if optioned with twin chargers. The BMW i3 has a 7.2 kW (32 amp) on-board charger while the Leaf and the Volt have 3.2 kW (16 amp) on-board chargers.

The local power utility may balk at the concept of Tesla owners installing a 22 kW device in domestic dwellings.

Has anyone here asked their sparky to install a three phase 32 amp charging station in their home?

- - - Updated - - -

Am I right in thinking someone here is instrumental in this? Regardless, I applaud the *really* bright sparks behind this...you are champions of the cause and I hope it catches on here in the east.

One question, how do I get a Tesla to WA? By truck I guess :frown:

Thanks for your support. WA of course stands for Way Ahead of the rest. :biggrin:

Yes. You are correct. There was a typo in the original post. There is no "official" Australian standard but all the existing production cars imported into Australia are J1772 so there is a presumption that the next generation of electric cars will have a single Combo 1 (J1772(TYpe 1) + DC Fast Charge) socket.

Unfortunately J1772 does not support three phase power so the Type 2 (Mennekes) standard would in fact be more appropriate for Australian conditions enabling higher currents at lower amps e.g. 22 kW AC on a three phase 32 amp circuit v 7.2 kW AC on a single phase 32 amp circuit.

Of course there is no advantage unless the cars have on-board AC chargers capable of drawing 22 kW. Only the Tesla has this capability if optioned with twin chargers. The BMW i3 has a 7.2 kW (32 amp) on-board charger while the Leaf and the Volt have 3.2 kW (16 amp) on-board chargers.

The local power utility may balk at the concept of Tesla owners installing a 22 kW device in domestic dwellings.

Has anyone here asked their sparky to install a three phase 32 amp charging station in their home?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your support. WA of course stands for Way Ahead of the rest. :biggrin:
Yep.I have 32amp 3 phase cable to a single phase wall connector. All that is required when the 3 phase connector arrives, and i assume it will have the same form factor as the single phase, will be to remove the guts and leave the wall plate, and simply make the internal connections - 5 wires instead of 3. At present the extra 2 phases simply have a terminating insulating connector on them within the cabinet of the connector. All up, a 10 minute job!!

you mean higher voltage and lower amps (current) ... I'm not saying i agree with BMW decision to make their cars in australia J1772 plugs and combo 1 CCS worst decision ever we should get the euro standard like tesla have given us...... i was just correcting your post.