Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the 12 sensors be able to create the 360degree cocoon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have all the new sensors (yippie!) and they definitely look to cover the entire car. I can see three sonic sensors on the front and rear bumpers, one on each side of each wheel well, which gets us to 10. Not sure where the other two are. I have (I think) two cameras and something else (might be radar) at the top of the windscreen behind the mirror (with a defroster line-kinda cool and smart) and an obvious radar sensor at the bottom of the lowest front grille (a little black recessed square). Discreet but obvious to us.

I currently have the speed assist and lane departure functioning, but not the adaptive CC. CC works fine. But not distance control. I have tried a couple of times but am too chicken to get too close to the guy in front of me, so unscientific.

I got the car just inside the production window (two days) by luck because I was delayed (oh thank G-d). So I am really excited about what is to come.

I've been corrected. there are four sensors on each bumper, getting us to 12.

Last edited:
I have all the new sensors (yippie!)...

I currently have the speed assist and lane departure functioning, but not the adaptive CC. CC works fine. But not distance control. I have tried a couple of times but am too chicken to get too close to the guy in front of me, so unscientific.

I got the car just inside the production window (two days) by luck because I was delayed (oh thank G-d). So I am really excited about what is to come.

What a great unexpected treat! Congrats on the free cherry on top ;)

Does the new sensor suite include cameras on the side view mirrors that you can use to see curbs while parking and navigating a tight parking garage?

360 degree camera view would be really useful to have and it is now a common feature on most premium cars.

Huge Congrats to you TDial! IF you could attach some photos of the sensors and cameras behind the rear view mirror that would be awesome!

Happy to. I'll do it this coming weekend.

It's funny. If you had asked me if I wanted or was willing to pay for these features, I would have said no. But after seeing Elon's talk and the video of the new IP display, with so much useful information, I think I'll use it all the time. I bet it'll be 9-12 months before the release all the functionality. So I'll need to be patient.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it possible that the other 2 sensors are on the side view mirrors?

I haven't seen anything obvious on the mirrors. But to be honest, I have been so overwhelmed with all the other coolness of the car and I don't have 6.xx yet, so I haven't focused on them. I'll look more closely and post lots of pics this wkend.

- - - Updated - - -

Does the new sensor suite include cameras on the side view mirrors that you can use to see curbs while parking and navigating a tight parking garage?

360 degree camera view would be really useful to have and it is now a common feature on most premium cars.

Nope. We still need to use the auto tilt for the mirrors to see the curb. But I like that because I can relate to the distance perspective. I find cameras hard to get a true perspective due to wide angle, etc. So it doesn't bother me. It took a bit of time to get the mirrors just right, but when I did, they work well.

Hi all. Sorry for taking so long to post these pics of the new goodies. might be old news by now.

In order of photos (I hope!)
1: Front facing radar for cruise control, I would think.
2: Front left fender ultrasonic sensor for perimeter vehicles. Same on right.
3: Rear right as above
FYI, I stand corrected (and thank you). There are four sensors on each bumper, not including the above side sensors. I had said three.

4: Not-so-great pic of the cameras (2) behind the mirror. And... NO comments about my pig stye garage. Still working on that!
5: Much better pic of the detail of the cameras: Center is for front view of vehicles and, I assume, lane change warning. Small circle in the left is for the speed sign sensor. Can't think of what else it would be. And I must say, I love the detail of the tiny defroster line to keep the area clear. Now that's attention to detail!

I have found that the speed sign camera doesn't always get it right. Just tonight I passed a sign saying 45mph and the car said 25mph. It has happened at that site previously. But tonight I was able to confirm it. So a bit more work is needed there. But I must say that it is otherwise surprisingly accurate on the windy, rural mountain roads that I drive everyday. It has been bang on when on freeways. So I really have no complaints.

20141023_205722_resized.jpeg
20141023_205749_resized.jpeg
20141023_205813_resized.jpeg
20141023_205829_resized.jpeg
20141023_205914_resized.jpeg

Last edited:
This topic was discussed extensively on the TMC forum and the consensus seemed to be that the current sensor array is very much lacking in what they can do with software and the ability to do safe lane changes automatically without rear radar. The S class (someone posted the diagram of the Mercedes sensor array coverage) seems to offer a much more robust sensor array. I was shocked to see that apart from the front sensor coverage is limited to just 18 feet. At highway speeds that's not an ideal sensor range IMHO.

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/theoretical-capability-auto-pilot

I really don't see why it can't do lane changes. The driver is responsible for what the car does. That's true for existing cruise control features. The scenario of a car going widely faster than the speed limit can already be a problem on existing roads with manual lane changes. I don't see how this changes anything.

Obviously, there can be improvements made. I'm sure they'll eventually add a rear radar as they make their features more advanced.