Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Base 60 Kwh Model S now has 380 hp?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I thought that before the Tesla party at Hawthorne, the base model, single motor car had only 302 hp. I asked my sales rep and she thought the same thing, that perhaps the 380hp is a misprint, but she says all her training literature confirms it. However the 0-60 time is still listed at 5.9 (I realize the cars are testing faster than published times, but still - you would think with an almost 25% listed increase in horsepower they would also list a faster acceleration time, unless they've gone to taller gearing).

Anyone else notice this?

Both the 60D and 85D have the same new dual motors (188 hp each). The 60 is listed at 5.7 0-60 and 125 top speed and the 85 is 5.2 -60 and 155 top speed.
I assume that the lower performance for the 60 is because of the smaller battery. The 85D is rated for 295 miles range at 65 mph!

The 60D has two small motors, the 85D has the big one in the rear and small in the front
Correction: 85D has 2 small. P85D has 1 big and 1 small.

kgwwgaC.png

Yeah i'm wondering about the same thing. 380 BHP is a huge upgrade if this is true. Previously 307 (or 302, can't remember the exact number) BHP were stated.

But how come S85 is also shown with 380 BHP, but accelerates faster than S60?

380 HP motor power != battery or 'car' power

You can replace a 60kWh with a 85kWh battery and get more power out of the car. With same motor and controller.
I bet Tesla just started to quote motor design power. What the car can actually output is whole another story.

Forget about 691HP from P85D - pure misconception.
There is still that same 85kWh battery with max ~4C discharge and 640A fuse.
I.e total vehicle power output is exactly the same.

Feel free to bash me, that does not make you right.

380 HP motor power != battery or 'car' power

You can replace a 60kWh with a 85kWh battery and get more power out of the car. With same motor and controller.
I bet Tesla just started to quote motor design power. What the car can actually output is whole another story.

Forget about 691HP from P85D - pure misconception.
There is still that same 85kWh battery with max ~4C discharge and 640A fuse.
I.e total vehicle power output is exactly the same.

Feel free to bash me, that does not make you right.

How do we know that the batteries are limited to 4C discharge rate?

Here's a variant of Panasonic's 18650 cell that is rated for 25C discharge:

PANASONIC 18650 NCR18650A 3100mAh $9.49 Li-ion battery | Made in Japan | Orbtronic USA

20C and 25C are very common these days.

Is it possible that the P85D has a different fuse? A 4C discharge rate would be around 450hp max.
And yet we have the car itself, a 5000-lb beast that is able to get to 60mph in 3.2 seconds. That would be physically impossible with the maximum power you get from a 4C discharge.

So obviously something has changed in that model, or some previous assumptions around the batteries are not correct. Or Tesla is breaking the laws of physics.

How do we know that the batteries are limited to 4C discharge rate?
Another one?
You may start educating yourself here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...combo-performance-differences-S60-S85-and-P85

20C and 25C are very common these days.
Not with 3500mAh 18650 cells.
If there were such cells, there would also be 5000mAh cells with 4C 'safe' discharge limit. And a Model S with 430 EPA range.

Is it possible that the P85D has a different fuse?
With same cells and same warranty?

And yet we have the car itself, a 5000-lb beast that is able to get to 60mph in 3.2 seconds. That would be physically impossible with the maximum power you get from a 4C discharge.
Just plain wrong.
You can't do the math yourself?