Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've already got a J1772 30-amp 240v wall charger (for my Leaf) ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm replacing my Nissan Leaf lease with a Model S. I've already got a 30 amp 240v J1772 charger on my wall. Can I just use the little adapter they give you in the Tesla trunk kit and charge the Model S with this EVSE? I'm getting about 6.6 kWh per hour charge on the Leaf. Would I get the same on the Tesla or do they throttle it down? I'm not sure if I'm going to go with the Supercharger option if that matters for this discussion. Thanks!

Definitely go with the Supercharger. Adapter will work fine. But Wonder what wire they ran for your charger and if you can upgrade to a 40 amp wall plug, like a 14-50 or an increase on your current box. "Overnight" for an empty 85 is 8 hours at 40 amps but 12 hours for 30 amps. Still, will work fine since car is rarely empty. Run with it as it is for a while, and then decide if change is needed.

Adapter will work fine. But Wonder what wire they ran for your charger and if you can upgrade to a 40 amp wall plug, like a 14-50 or an increase on your current box. "Overnight" for an empty 85 is 8 hours at 40 amps but 12 hours for 30 amps. Still, will work fine since car is rarely empty. Run with it as it is for a while, and then decide if change is needed.

I hired the electrician and bought the cable myself - I put in a 40 amp breaker and ran 8/2 NM wire (8 gauge) so theoretically I could upgrade the wall connector at some point, but so long as the Tesla will charge at 6 kWh per hour, that's 100 miles in 3 hours and plenty for me. Like you said, with a 60 kWh battery pack it won't be running on empty when I plug her in at night anyhow.

I hired the electrician and bought the cable myself - I put in a 40 amp breaker and ran 8/2 NM wire (8 gauge) so theoretically I could upgrade the wall connector at some point, but so long as the Tesla will charge at 6 kWh per hour, that's 100 miles in 3 hours and plenty for me. Like you said, with a 60 kWh battery pack it won't be running on empty when I plug her in at night anyhow.

You will not quite get 100 miles in 3 hours. It takes 40A to get about 85 miles in 3 hours, with a strong 240-250V circuit. You will get closer to 60-65 miles in 3 hours.

Thank you yes you're correct. I meant 4 hours. But it's neither here nor there, I don't drive anywhere near that much in an average day, I work from home. Once in a while we drive about 60 miles up to Boulder or something so that would be a 120+ miles day, but that's rare. Sounds like I will do fine with my current EVSE for now. Thanks all! Very helpful.

I have a 40A capable outlet, but ever since Tesla changed the software, I have been charging at 30A. I'm still full before I go to bed most evenings, so it doesn't matter. We have two heat pumps for AC, an electric oven, electric dryer, sub panel, etc. All on a 200A service panel. Next house we'll have a 300A or 400A service.

I really think you should not only spring for the Supercharger option but the 85 kWh battery which includes Supercharging. While the 60 will navigate most Supercharger routes it appears some are marginal. But also keep in mind eventually the battery capacity will fall from wear. The deeper you cycle the battery the more wear per kWh used so an 85 should wear less than a 60 if your daily use is only 40 miles because the percentage discharge/charge is less. And when the battery does wear it has 25 kWh "more available tread" before it reaches the same level and has to be replaced.

Supercharging is essential for road trips. The ability to make road trips is what separates a Model S from wussy city cars. A 30 minute charge every 3 hours is trivially less convenient than a gas stop every 400 miles in my Prius. Or at least "it will be" when when Nashville and Louisville go live. Prius is gone. Nashville and Louisville haven't even selected a site. Clearly it will be Elon's fault when I am forced to burn 38 gallons of diesel in my SUV to make the trip. :smile:

When "nicely equipped" was $84k another $10k for 85 kWh was a relatively easy upgrade.