Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My wife is my autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
My wife is excited to hear that the new cars will have lane holding, adaptive cruise control, etc. since she is very nervous that I don't seem to do a good job of staying in the lane and sometimes don't see traffic stopping ahead. (She is probably right.)
I'm thinking that is you have the lane holding and ACC that you wouldn't need to keep your hands on the steering wheel (in fact, it might interfere with the lane control).
When I mentioned this to my wife, she was adamant that under no circumstances would she allow me to take my hands off the steering wheel. (I do this occasionally now to talk with my hands and it drives her crazy.)
So... what do you think?
Will you be able to take your hands off the steering?
Should you take your hands off the steering?
Will leaving your hands on the steering interfere with the lane holding?

I have experienced the same thing. For years I have had constant feedback on my driving (including lots of panic warnings about squirrels, etc.) but it does not seem to be doing any good. I still keep making the same mistakes. Driving too fast or too slow, etc. I also have a special category of "parking" where every single time I park the car, I am informed about a better parking place nearby.
I have high hopes that the Autopilot will cure me of many of my nasty habits by taking me out of the loop. (Not sure it can take care of the parking problem, though the proposed "Autopark" function could improve operation in that area.)
All in all, I am looking forward to the new features... just have to come to terms with not having my hands on the steering wheel.

I have experienced the same thing. For years I have had constant feedback on my driving (including lots of panic warnings about squirrels, etc.) but it does not seem to be doing any good. I still keep making the same mistakes. Driving too fast or too slow, etc. I also have a special category of "parking" where every single time I park the car, I am informed about a better parking place nearby.
I have high hopes that the Autopilot will cure me of many of my nasty habits by taking me out of the loop. (Not sure it can take care of the parking problem, though the proposed "Autopark" function could improve operation in that area.)
All in all, I am looking forward to the new features... just have to come to terms with not having my hands on the steering wheel.

Don't feel badly, not everyone can be a quick learner. It's got to be a wonderful feeling knowing that the other person in the car with you is there to help you. :biggrin: