Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla / EV Charging for Multi-Unit Buildings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very curious to see how solutions like this will work in the real world.

I know this solution seems ideal and simplistic, but it doesn't address the times that driver #1 (who normally charges overnight) has to randomly deviate from his normal charging pattern due to the "vagaries of life".

What happens when driver #1, after establishing his "Charging pattern" as "overnight" for a couple of months, suddenly has to run out at 11:00 pm to (say) attend to a sick parent...he gets in his car to make the 200km journey, but finds his range is inadequate as his charging habits have been interpreted by this system to be overnight, thus it didn't start to charge his car until 10:00 pm!

The "vagaries of life" fact is exactly why I have an HPC for my Roadster, and an HWPC for my Model S...although I charge both overnight, rarely higher than 30 amps each, I have the option of "full load" 70 / 80 amp charging if the vagaries of life demand that a recapture charge more quickly.

I wish this little vignette went into a little more depth about how their system deals with this issue...

I am very curious to see how solutions like this will work in eal world.

I know this solution seems ideal and simplistic, but it doesn't address the times that driver #1 (who normally charges overnight) has to randomly deviate from his normal charging pattern due to the "vagaries of life".

What happens when driver #1, after establishing his "Charging pattern" as "overnight" for a couple of months, suddenly has to run out at 11:00 pm to (say) attend to a sick parent...he gets in his car to make the 200km journey, but finds his range is inadequate as his charging habits have been interpreted by this system to be overnight, thus it didn't start to charge his car until 10:00 pm!

The "vagaries of life" fact is exactly why I have an HPC for my Roadster, and an HWPC for my Model S...although I charge both overnight, rarely higher than 30 amps each, I have the option of "full load" 70 / 80 amp charging if the vagaries of life demand that a recapture charge more quickly.

I wish this little vignette went into a little more depth about how their system deals with this issue...

Yes, definitely need to know about settings and overrides. This isn't something you can get wrong.

A multi-unit solution like this is going to be necessary for Teslaworld, so I'd be very surprised if Tesla isn't working on their own solution.