Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D vs 85D + $30k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bhzmark

Jul 21, 2013
Tesla will finally deliver what I was waiting for: adaptive cruise -- and then some. Leap frogging over other companies tech by quite a margin.

The other thing I was waiting for was better seats. But it looks like I can only get those in the P85D. So for deciding on that my analysis is this:

P85D Pros:
better accel
better handling
better seats
faster delivery by ~2 mos.

P85D Cons:
~$30k price premium ($126k) over alternative 85 ($96k: w/o air or wheels but including tech and roof and leather and paint)

P85D Depends:
air suspension some want and need it; some (me I think) don't see the advantage and prefer the simplicity of the coils.
21" wheels that look nice but are delicate

So for $30k I would get the better accel, better handling, and most importantly better seats. All of which I want and would pay for, but $30k is steep. the P85D also adds the air suspension and the 21" wheels which I don't want.

Anything I'm missing here for this $30k decision?

P85D cons:
- lower range than the 85D
- firmer suspension (less soft ride)
- eats through tires quicker
- 21" rims are fragile
- $$$$$
- New seats only available in black... a really bad choice for leather seats in summer.

85D Cons
- slower acceleration
- less "cool" factor
- old seats

It's actually a really tough decision...

P85D Pros
- 691HP
- 21" super cool tires and rims (they are not fragile--I've owned them)
- Black seats--only color to get anyways because they are cool
- The baddest Tesla made
- Sports ride which is what one wants in sports car with 691HP
- It's faster than ****

Enough said.

I would be surprised if you could NOT get after market better seats that are the same. You could likely just order them from Tesla themselves, so I don't think this will be a factor. If one wanted they could email Tesla and ask that very question.

For me, 30k is pushing it. If you have the cash, get the P85D, but that is only if you have the money to burn. If you are already stretching the 85D is amazing.

Honestly, I am really happy for the folks who are track-educated, and experienced racers, and are getting the P85D. But that much power is quite something to handle. There are going to people who hurt themselves, and others, if they use the car aggressively without proper experience and judgement.

Elon is very happy to have built an EV as fast off the line as the McLaren F1 he used to own. What he did not remind people, however, is that he totalled that car and could have killed himself and one of his good friends in that accident.

Respectfully, unless one has race car instincts and experience, I think the 85D is all one needs.

What he did not remind people, however, is that he totalled that car and could have killed himself and one of his good friends in that accident.
He did go to the effort of specifying that in the case of the P85D you "don't need to be a professional driver to handle it." (often suspected to be in relation to that specific incident) In another interview he went to great pains to stress that the McLaren he crashed lacked the stability and traction control features that are standard on the model S.

Is the P85D way more than anyone needs? Absolutely. Will someone get in trouble using it? Probably. Is this an actual problem for your average driver? Unlikely.

Honestly, I am really happy for the folks who are track-educated, and experienced racers, and are getting the P85D. But that much power is quite something to handle. There are going to people who hurt themselves, and others, if they use the car aggressively without proper experience and judgement.

Elon is very happy to have built an EV as fast off the line as the McLaren F1 he used to own. What he did not remind people, however, is that he totalled that car and could have killed himself and one of his good friends in that accident.

Respectfully, unless one has race car instincts and experience, I think the 85D is all one needs.

I can't agree more. This can't be said enough, honestly. Everyone and their mother are going bonkers on the new P85D and wanting it. I am concerned because I doubt the majority of people have the ability to handle that power. Perhaps the responsibility to use in an open road, but no the ability. I'll be the first to admit that amount of speed is more then I've ever experienced and would likely only use it in a closed track setting.

I was very clearly told by the HQ that the cars will have sensors for the active safety features but the autopilot will need reordering. I told him that this contradicts what Elon just announced. He said he is pretty sure that the autopilot ultrasound sensors are in addition to the safety sensors which will not be present in the prior orders. Not sure if he is right but wanted to be on the safe side.

Honestly, I am really happy for the folks who are track-educated, and experienced racers, and are getting the P85D. But that much power is quite something to handle. There are going to people who hurt themselves, and others...
#1killer out here is the Subaru WRX STi. But, just think what's going to happen in 10 years when dad buys our really high powered used Tesla for junior!

P85D Pros
- 691HP
- 21" super cool tires and rims (they are not fragile--I've owned them)
- Black seats--only color to get anyways because they are cool
- The baddest Tesla made
- Sports ride which is what one wants in sports car with 691HP
- It's faster than ****

Enough said.

21" wheels 'not fragile'!!??? I met a guy at the Silverthorne SpC yesterday who blew all four tires and broke two of his 21" rims the other day. He hit a pair of perfectly spaced potholes while driving 15mph in the fog. There are plenty of other similar stories out there, and they're always about the 21's.

21" wheels 'not fragile'!!??? I met a guy at the Silverthorne SpC yesterday who blew all four tires and broke two of his 21" rims the other day. He hit a pair of perfectly spaced potholes while driving 15mph in the fog. There are plenty of other similar stories out there, and they're always about the 21's.

I always wonder what the tire pressures were when these kind of incidents happen. The problem with 21" tires, in my opinion, is that unless the pressures are kept high, there is very little protection for the wheels. Because most people don't monitor their tires regularly (and the TPMS is not even remotely adequate for doing this) they have frequent wheel damage. Most folks are far better off with 19" wheels and tires because they provide a greater margin of safety. Naturally, a smaller than 19" nominal rim diameter would be even better, but that's not currently possible on the Model S.